Mustang-based Lincoln?

I'm hoping with the launch of the new 2015 Mustang platform with the independent rear suspension and new modern engines that Ford will finally develop a couple of Lincolns using that platform.

A RWD/AWD 4-door sedan, 2-door coupe and 2-door convertible would be a nice place to start.

It must have truly distinct Lincoln styling from the Mustang, not a headlamp/taillight treatment.

Has anyone heard any rumors of this?

http://jalopnik.com/is-this-proof-the-new-lincoln-mks-going-to-be-mustang-b-510259503

post-5438-0-78712800-1404056594_thumb.jpg

Edited by rshanks66

^ Yup

but there is SEVERE disagreement about the LincStang (codename: Millenial)

some of us firmly believe at least one version will be ON-SALE in less than 24 months

others (including an insider) say it isn't happening At All and some other kind of Rwd is at least 2 years FURTHER off (ie 4 years from now)

S550 is a brand new platform. Ford wouldn't spend all that money on an all new platform just for Mustang.

My money is riding on a new S550 based RWD Lincoln... or two. If Ford can lengthen and widen CD4 (Fusion/MKZ) for Taurus/MKS they can do it for S550.

• Like 1

My money is riding on a new S550 based RWD Lincoln... or two. If Ford can lengthen and widen CD4 (Fusion/MKZ) for Taurus/MKS they can do it for S550.

Let’s hope Ford extends the Mustang platform for some Lincoln products. It just seems so obvious.

Lincoln needs to break some new ground, instead of just offering a line up that mirrors other luxury brands. A Mustang based model is a great idea. I always thought Mercury could have continued on with some niche models. That is probably only because I am a Mercury fan. Now Lincoln will have to carry on.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I had alot of fun with a bunch of friends who were all into the Mark VII and Mark VIII cars. Some just restored them, while others made some interesting mods and a few that terrorized the dragstrip. The perfect markets to attack, 2 door coupe and convertible, or even wagon, not crossover (to compete with CTS wagon). Build these on a platform that could be timid, quiet and luxurious for some, or high performance and customizable for the under 40 singles that might like track days and like to do it in style. Just a little rant from a Navigator owner, who loves his Mustang too, and has played with a few other fox based vehicles too.

I built a Mustang Wagon, but didn't finish it. It was a 1979 Fairmont Wagon and had a 1991 Mustang front clip on it, and I would like another. I have a 1991 Mustang LX 5.0 convertible, for those sunny South Florida evenings. 1982 Granada, I learned to drive on this car, and want to make it really unique. Lincoln Mark VII's, parted a few, want to hot rod one, yes for my very own Hot Rod Lincoln. And the DEATHSTAR! My Black on Black 2006 Navigator, slightl lowered with 23" Saleen S331 wheels. If Darth Vader drove a Lincoln, this wouold be it!

• 4 months later...

Lincoln could always rip off another Bentley. Insert the Continental Concept grille and headlamps and poof instant Lincoln Coupe.

The greenhouse and roof is so much like the Mustang that they can carry over the parts from the Mustang intact.

Actually in the case I think Bentley is trying to ripoff sections of the Mustang just to get even...

EXP-10-Speed-6-pebble.jpg

Edited by StangBang

I built a Mustang Wagon, but didn't finish it. It was a 1979 Fairmont Wagon and had a 1991 Mustang front clip on it, and I would like another. I have a 1991 Mustang LX 5.0 convertible, for those sunny South Florida evenings.

It would be interesting to see what the 91 Mustang clip looked like on that body and what you did to integrate it since the lines don't interchange or match up.

I am a big fan of the front clip interchangeability between the 1978-83 Fairmont/Futura/Zephyr, 1981-82 Granada/Cougar Sedan and Wagon, and 1983-86 LTD/Marquis. Ford of Mexico actually marketed a Ford Elite which was a luxury Fairmont with a 1981-82 Granada front clip and matching rear bumper. You would also find their version of the Fairmont with mix and match parts using Zephyr grilles and taillamps to distinguish different trim levels and model years. Mexico also mixed Capri parts into their various Mustangs using Capri front end clips, taillamps and even the later bubble hatch glass.

My favorite front clip swap is the 1983-86 LTD front end onto any 1978-83 Fairmont Futura Coupe.

p145730_large+1980_Ford_Fairmont+Front_D

Ford should have held the Futura coupe back two years and made it the Thunderbird with a 1981-82 Granada front clip or offered dual size Thunderbirds for 1978-79 and called the smaller one Thunderbird II or Thunderbird Futura while calling the larger one Thunderbird Heritage. I honestly believe the Thunderbird would have sold better with the familiar basket handle roof design instead of shocking everyone with the boxy poorly proportioned actual 1980 Thunderbird design. The Futura coupe was indeed originally a downsized Thunderbird styling prototype.

I also like the front end clip swaps that are possible between the 1977-79 LTD II/Ranchero/Thunderbird, 1974-76 Elite, 1972-76 Montego and 1974-79 Cougar. Lots of interesting phantom model combinations there!

Edited by StangBang
  • Like 1

The Ford launch website on the Mustang has numerous videos about the signature design themes and heritage elements. Have you seen that site? It’s totally a retro vehicle.

It's not retro. It's evolutionary heritage as if it evolved from the original 1965 2+2 design. Think like how the Porsche 911 style evolved into the model that is offered today.

I had alot of fun with a bunch of friends who were all into the Mark VII and Mark VIII cars. Some just restored them, while others made some interesting mods and a few that terrorized the dragstrip. The perfect markets to attack, 2 door coupe and convertible, or even wagon, not crossover (to compete with CTS wagon). Build these on a platform that could be timid, quiet and luxurious for some, or high performance and customizable for the under 40 singles that might like track days and like to do it in style. Just a little rant from a Navigator owner, who loves his Mustang too, and has played with a few other fox based vehicles too.

There's no need for a Lincoln RWD wagon.

The Ford launch website on the Mustang has numerous videos about the signature design themes and heritage elements. Have you seen that site? It’s totally a retro vehicle.

The Mustang will always have signature design themes and heritage elements. That's what makes it a Mustang???

Edited by rmc523

I enjoy all the derivatives Ford got off the Fox, Falcon, and Gran Torino platforms.I think the 72-76 Thunderbird, Mark IV, and Mark V also came off the Gran Torino platform. But the 1983 Thunderbird was a revelation for Ford.

No the 72-76 Thunderbird and Mark IV were much larger cars that shared a longer full-sized platform. The Thunderbird downsized to the mid-sized Torino platform in 1977 and directly replaced it's former larger self and the 74-76 Elite. It lost about a foot in length, some weight and $2000 off it's base price. This resulted in the best ever sales for the history of the Thunderbird nameplate for 1977-79. The distinctive basket handle roofline with the special quarter window and opera window treatments contributed greatly to the uniqueness compared to the conventional quarter window shapes of the LTD II and Cougar. Then the awful 1980 Fox Box Thunderbird tanked it and did not enjoy previous sales success until the 1983 Aerobirds came along.

The 77-79 Lincoln Mark V stayed on the previous large Mark IV platform and was technically just a restyle with some weight loss but it never downsized until it went to the Panther platform based Mark VI in 1980.

Edited by StangBang

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...