2016 MKS/Taurus Mule

The Edge's suspension supports a much heavier vehicle at a higher ride height.

The geometry is probably about the same, the layout is probably about the same, but I don't think you can interchange any piece larger than a bolt or at most a bushing. Maybe, *maybe*, the hubs are the same.

Edited by RichardJensen

I love stuff like this:

Lincoln has been doing a good job lately with their designs. making sure they don't look like Chromed Fords anymore.

Still, unlike Infiniti and Cadillac, they don't have their own platforms.

I guess their model is more Lexus.

Infinitis on their own platform: 0

Cadillacs on their own platform: 1

(Once Camaro goes Alpha) And that one is the FWD SRX which arguably should share a platform. (It was supposed to share with the stillborn SAAB SUV)

Lexus on their own platform: 4

Granted two share platforms with each other.

I don't know how much this will share with the Edge/Explorer. It's wider, but I think it's still going to have the Fusion suspension under it, not CD4.2's.

I wouldn't expect it share that either...I'd assume the geometry of CUV suspensions would be different then cars since they normally sit up higher. But the floor pan etc would be the same thing.

I wouldn't expect it share that either...I'd assume the geometry of CUV suspensions would be different then cars since they normally sit up higher. But the floor pan etc would be the same thing.

I'd guess some of the floorpan could be shared, but if OAC is integrated stamping, then I don't necessarily see that as a cost savings.

I love stuff like this:

Infinitis on their own platform: 0

Cadillacs on their own platform: 1

(Once Camaro goes Alpha) And that one is the FWD SRX which arguably should share a platform. (It was supposed to share with the stillborn SAAB SUV)

Lexus on their own platform: 4

Granted two share platforms with each other.

IS, GS, LS, LF-A?

The Edge's suspension supports a much heavier vehicle at a higher ride height.

The geometry is probably about the same, the layout is probably about the same, but I don't think you can interchange any piece larger than a bolt or at most a bushing. Maybe, *maybe*, the hubs are the same.

If there is so little in common, then what is the bonus of using the same platform under different top hats ?

I would assume brakes and hubs would be interchangeable, possibly even all suspension components.

Anyone know how much commonality between Focus, C-Max and Edge ?

Some were predicting the Taurus' demise, but looks like still kicking. Cops want a wider cabin and GM is not giving up on the Impala, so Ford will stay in this segment. [i think]

My un-scientific survey shows that very few cops really like the PI Sedan, If you are over 6'2" there is not enough leg/head room. Cops who have eaten too many donuts do not fit behind the wheel. While "rear passenger" comfort is not a priority, the leg room (after the cage is installed) is so ridiculous most riders can not get their legs and feet in that space and have to lay across the seat.

I have said for years, Ford should have stretched the platform 4-6" behind the seat for the MkS and the PI. Lincoln needs to differentiate it self from Ford and this would be the perfect way to do it.

My un-scientific survey shows that very few cops really like the PI Sedan, If you are over 6'2" there is not enough leg/head room. Cops who have eaten too many donuts do not fit behind the wheel.

Thats pretty anecdotal information..why even bother to post it?

The new Taurus and MKS can't get here fast enough. Ford had a Taurus at the Carlisle All-Ford Nationals available for test drives. It is easily outclassed by the Fusion, and actually felt more confining than the Focus.

Edited by grbeck

If there is so little in common, then what is the bonus of using the same platform under different top hats ?

I would assume brakes and hubs would be interchangeable, possibly even all suspension components.

You're not going to have *all* suspension components interchangeable when one vehicle is several hundred pounds heavier and rides a few inches higher.

And I would imagine the advantage is primarily in engineering costs and fewer unique installed components (wiring harnesses, switches, binnacles, HVAC equipment, etc.)

Not really. There was only one vehicle but it was originally sold as the Toyota Altezza in Japan before they had the Lexus brand. One car - 2 names.

CT is on the same platform as previous generation Toyota Auris.

IS is on the same platform as JDM Toyota Mark X.

GS is on the same platform as JDM Toyota Crown.

LS is on its own now but it used to have a rebadged JDM Toyota Celsior twin.

LFA is purpose build supercar.

NX is on the same platform as RAV4 and JDM Harrier.

ES and RX are on the global large FWD platform.

GX is rebadged Toyota Prado, sharing the same platform as 4Runner and Tacoma.

LX is rebadged Toyota Landcruiser.

Edited by bzcat

given that Focus and C-Max are made in the same place, there is some degree of part sharing going on, but to what extent exactly, I'm not sure.