If the IUAW needs more cash (and who doesn't?), I humbly assert that the answer just might be to organize more people, gain membership, and stop making deals with the devil that leave part of our work force underpaid and under represented.

The whole 2nd tier deal was stupid to begin with and it's stupid still. Ford Motor Company is a cash cow and the udders are working just fine, as long as you are a stockholder. If you're the person slapping them cars together, you are a dime a dozen (5 cents for you new kids!). The whole point of the Union is to bargain for the workers as one. Now that the 'Union' is made up of two or more levels of compensated employees, I don't know how we can call it a Union.

I think we've taken a misstep with the 2 tier stuff, and we need now more than ever to fix that. I can't complain about the UAW though, because without it, none of us would be making any money at all, and I, personally, would have been fired any number of times...

Ladies and gents, let's get our stuff together, and bring home the bacon in 2015. It's time to regroup and kick some ass.

• Like 1

I agree with your take on 2nd tier. The UAW was founded on the idea that "UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL". That is what gave the union it's power and leverage. Not to intimidate and bully a company, but to make sure the workers got what they deserved. The IUAW cut our own throats and made us weak and insignificant. On top of that, they foolishly spent a ridiculous amount of money trying to organize new members outside of the automotive industry. That decision has zero benefit for the members that have been paying dues for decades. I believe thier responsabilities are to current members they have left instead of trying to enlist new members to get thier numbers up. I also believe the IUAW is top-heavy and overpaid. Our union now targets overall profits for itself instead of looking out for the best interest of thier members. I must also mention the pay increases/benefits they vote for themselves. That should be voted on by the members they serve.

We are lucky to be at the top of the labor ladder and we have the union of the past to thank for that. But our current officials gave away the farm to help our company survive(rightfully so), but did not think ahead to restore what we gave up when our company got back on its feet.

I also feel that when the N. American Ford UAW workforce was cut from over 80,000 to about 42,000, our union officials(i.e. presidents, v.p., comittee men, etc.) should have been reduced as well. Not out of sour grapes mentality, but because it makes sense.

Edited by RougeWelder
  • Like 2

Here's a thought.

2nd tier was an easy deal between company and union to sign a contract. Saved the company money in the short term.

That said, 2nd tier are probably going to be more likely to want to strike if they face the prospect of significantly increasing their pay by striking.

Not saying this was the plan... but it could be the outcome.

Being that there's essentially 2 different contracts due to the tier 2 I'm wondering if tier 1 or tier 2 don't get what they want in this upcoming contract can either one strike? Meaning if tier 1 gets what they want and say tier 2 doesn't can tier 2 vote to strike?

STRIKE the MOTHERFUCKERS! Ya know all the crap UAW workers have to eat.All the bad press.I don't see people worried about all the pensions that government employees make.Dont see people worried about how much doctors and dentist make when they go for an appointment.These 'low information' types are too dumb NOT to support unions in order to raise the tide for all workers.Its gonna take a fight to stop this Hecho en Mexico,Made in China bullshit!

• Like 1

Strike ???

They threw out $6K the last time and members at different locals swallowed the lies like school girls..... One local voted overwhelmingly, the way they were told too...because they were told they were going to build what Mexico builds and Chicago builds? Who has had the lay off`s?

I`m 100% with you Fatso but....Until the sheep grow some balls, we will get whatever lies they tell the sheep to swallow. Do you think $10K will get a contract that reduces tier one by four dollars or more and gives tier two a two dollar raise?

Strike Really ???

Decker

Ya know,when other workers outside of the UAW stop allowing themselves to be manipulated they will realize that the worker is not their enemy but their ally.The companies never lower the prices of the cars because of workers wages.I don't see fans at sporting events holding signs protesting the exorbitant $$$$ the pro atheletes make.I don't see patients asking the doctors what they make.I don't see people doing something about the never ending increase in government paper-pusher jobs.Its gotta be the UAW autoworker that are destroying everything?Instead of hating us they should support our valiant efforts to raise the bar!

• Like 5

Ya know,when other workers outside of the UAW stop allowing themselves to be manipulated they will realize that the worker is not their enemy but their ally.The companies never lower the prices of the cars because of workers wages.I don't see fans at sporting events holding signs protesting the exorbitant $$$$ the pro atheletes make.I don't see patients asking the doctors what they make.I don't see people doing something about the never ending increase in government paper-pusher jobs.Its gotta be the UAW autoworker that are destroying everything?Instead of hating us they should support our valiant efforts to raise the bar!

Good point. Our contract goes as far as public opinion will allow it. The UAW should hire a public relations firm to help our image since most people have the wrong idea of our workforce. We are seen as lazy and unproductive. Which we all know went away with the 90's...but that image still lives. Again, we are lucky to be on top of the labor ladder but people should realize our wage pretty much determines the wage for smaller shops. A nationwide PR campaign would be costly, but I think it would help us more than spending it to recruit new members like the IUAW has said is the reason to increase monthly dues.

• Like 4

Strike ???

They threw out $6K the last time and members at different locals swallowed the lies like school girls..... One local voted overwhelmingly, the way they were told too...because they were told they were going to build what Mexico builds and Chicago builds? Who has had the lay off`s?

I`m 100% with you Fatso but....Until the sheep grow some balls, we will get whatever lies they tell the sheep to swallow. Do you think $10K will get a contract that reduces tier one by four dollars or more and gives tier two a two dollar raise?

Strike Really ???

Decker

We are now 2 shifts at FRAP, building USA Fusions (!), and we vote any way we want to Sir. My idea of parity is to boost everyone to 30 bucks or so and give the kids some benefits. They can't live with mom and pops forever... :banghead:

Strike ???

Strike Really ???

Decker

10 grand? Across four years or upfront? Upfront then probably, but I'd vote no.

We are now 2 shifts at FRAP, building USA Fusions (!), and we vote any way we want to Sir. My idea of parity is to boost everyone to 30 bucks or so and give the kids some benefits. They can't live with mom and pops forever... :banghead:

I really like your "idea" on "parity" young brother but... reality seems to evade you. Sir, You are completely correct about your voting rights, Sir. :salute:

As for your two shifts well, it seems two shifts of less than 8 hours a day is generating short work week benefits. (thank goodness they haven`t messed with that benefit..yet) No such a benefit being generated at CAP or Hermosillo.

But, I heard, they said your OT will be taking off when you start to build the......MKS, Taurus, Explorer, police units, F150, F250, Escape, MKT, MKC and Mustang etc....

Opp`s scratch the Mustang from the list you got that covered. I might add both the family members GT`s are very very well build by the FRAP members according to both my young adults. They seem to think there is !!!no equal to their!!! GT`s. :peelout:

Decker

• Like 1

I really like your "idea" on "parity" young brother but... reality seems to evade you. Sir, You are completely correct about your voting rights, Sir. :salute:

As for your two shifts well, it seems two shifts of less than 8 hours a day is generating short work week benefits. (thank goodness they haven`t messed with that benefit..yet) No such a benefit being generated at CAP or Hermosillo.

But, I heard, they said your OT will be taking off when you start to build the......MKS, Taurus, Explorer, police units, F150, F250, Escape, MKT, MKC and Mustang etc....

Opp`s scratch the Mustang from the list you got that covered. I might add both the family members GT`s are very very well build by the FRAP members according to both my young adults. They seem to think there is !!!no equal to their!!! GT`s. :peelout:

Decker

Thanks for the 'Young Brother'. At my age he's a fond memory!

• 2 weeks later...

........ Do you think $10K will get a contract that reduces tier one by four dollars or more and gives tier two a two dollar raise?

Decker

That is a reality I am afraid is already "written on the wall"...once the threshhold of more tier 2 vs tier 1 employees is crossed I see the "wage adjustment" all in the interest of "being fair" becoming a reality. This is one of the many reasons I have never been a fan of the two tier system.

The other thought that concerns me is the right to work BS....a person will have the right to "withdraw" from the union yet the union will still be required to represent them and they will still "reap the benefits" negotiated for the membership. Will this same person still be allowed to vote on our contract? Personally I feel if you withdraw your membership then you shouldn't be entitled to ANY of the benefits the IUAW negotiated for IT'S MEMBERS.

Yet I will not be surprised if they are allowed to vote...after all...despite not being a member...they are benefits that they will still be entitled to.

Yup....not just the 2015 but the following contract could prove to be very interesting as well.

• Like 1