Dues increase

Doesn't matter. It passed.

Next election, I will not vote for a single incumbent. Next contract, I might not be paying dues anymore.

I love the woman that was quoted on Detroit News. She said she voted for the increase because the dues hasn't been increased since 1967. I guess they never went up when the membership got raises. This is the type of incompetence that will kill the union.

• Like 3

Consider 2.5 hours a month a bargain. It'll be 4 hours after the next contract. When our union fails to get us anything again next Sept. members will be jumping ship like the boat is on fire

• Like 1

Unfortunately not voting for incumbents won't do a bit of good, because when you vote them out, they get appointed downtown, and we do not have a vote on which loser moves to the international.

This one is going to come back and bite them in the backside, as people already believe that the IUAW is corrupt, and does nothing for the membership anymore. Many are just waiting for the end of this contract to tell them to shove it and their dues hike where the sun don't shine.

UAW has done things the same way for 35 years, and still have not learned that change is NEEDED to survive. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different result is the full definition of STUPIDITY!

• Like 2

Yea.. I want to pay one penny a year in union dues and make 500,000 a year. Real life is people will work for no benifits and 13 dollars per hour. Makes it hard to compete with non union companies. You wouldnt believe work conditions on non union shop. People always complain, I fight for everything we can get as a union. Have to keep fighting for more, but the facts make it hard to get anywhere.

• Like 1

Doesn't matter. It passed.

Next election, I will not vote for a single incumbent. Next contract, I might not be paying dues anymore.

I love the woman that was quoted on Detroit News. She said she voted for the increase because the dues hasn't been increased since 1967. I guess they never went up when the membership got raises. This is the type of incompetence that will kill the union.

While they did get more money from us getting better wages, they did not raise dues. And are we not being a bit myopic because Big 3 autoworkers are not the only people in the 400,000 member UAW? So if we got a 1 or 2 percent raise would that give the UAW the money they were looking for? Would you like to do the math as to what a 2% raise for the big 3 would net them a year? Not that much in terms of what a half hour dues raise would.

And are we not being a bit myopic because Big 3 autoworkers are not the only people in the 400,000 member UAW?

My wife is a nurse represented by the UAW. Two weeks after signing their last contact, management violated it. IUAW Region 2 still hasn't done anything about it and that was a year and a half ago. We can't even get anybody on the phone about it.

• Like 1

While they did get more money from us getting better wages, they did not raise dues. And are we not being a bit myopic because Big 3 autoworkers are not the only people in the 400,000 member UAW? So if we got a 1 or 2 percent raise would that give the UAW the money they were looking for? Would you like to do the math as to what a 2% raise for the big 3 would net them a year? Not that much in terms of what a half hour dues raise would.

A 2% raise would bring in MORE than the 1/2 hour additional dues. Math is simple, using 28.85 per hour as a base wage. 28.85 /2 +14.425 x 12 months = 173.10 per year per Ford worker

28.85 + 2% =29.427 /2 = 14.713 x 12 months = 176.56 Or 3.46 more yearly per Ford Worker, multiplied by 40,000 members, at Ford alone, = $138480.00 more per year from Ford workers alone. That's not as small a difference as you think. That's ALOT of money when you add in GM, Chrysler, and all the others that the UAW represent.

• Like 1

A 2% raise would bring in MORE than the 1/2 hour additional dues. Math is simple, using 28.85 per hour as a base wage. 28.85 /2 +14.425 x 12 months = 173.10 per year per Ford worker

I totally agree with you but It's easier for the international to take money from us then it is to ask the company to give us a raise.

28.85 + 2% =29.427 /2 = 14.713 x 12 months = 176.56 Or 3.46 more yearly per Ford Worker, multiplied by 40,000 members, at Ford alone, = $138480.00 more per year from Ford workers alone. That's not as small a difference as you think. That's ALOT of money when you add in GM, Chrysler, and all the others that the UAW represent.

Was this Boob kings last nail in the coffin of the uaw ? or does he have some other bright idea to save this union. They stole 400 million dollars of our strike fund to organize transplants and organized a grand total of zero plants, We will never strike, iuaw will never approve one, These azzholes spend,steal and drink 400 million dollars worth of our dues and then cry the srike fund is depleted. How do you spend 400 million and have nothing to show for it ? The only thing this dues increase will do is drive a wedge between workers who keep paying and those that don't, kind of like 2 tier wages has done. The end of this once proud union is fast approaching thanks to Boob King and Ron Middlefinger. This money will be pissed away just like the 400 million they've already stolen from us.

• Like 4

I was talking to one of the guys running for our local treasurer's job and he told me that a very high % of new highers in Michigan were opting out of paying UAW dues.

At this point I blame no one for opting out if they desire to. If and when someone can opt out in Ohio I would love to see the numbers.

All of us has lost wages and benefits under the last several years of UAW representation while the company has made a profit. The cornerstone of the union was equal pay for equal work. With the implementation of 2nd tier wages that fundamental went out the window as well, as long as those 2nd tier pay dues that is. Paying more ( in dues ) for less ( wages & benefits) is getting shitty service IMHO and everyone knows what happens when you get crappy service.

• Like 5

I was talking to one of the guys running for our local treasurer's job and he told me that a very high % of new highers in Michigan were opting out of paying UAW dues.

At this point I blame no one for opting out if they desire to. If and when someone can opt out in Ohio I would love to see the numbers.

thats funny, someone was lying to you, currently no one can opt out till sept 2015.

Meanwhile, Michigan’s right-to-work law, starting with the next contract, will enable UAW-represented employees to opt out of paying union dues if they wish. The assumption is that most won’t opt out, but there’s clearly pressure on the leadership to articulate the value is providing in return for the dues — especially since UAW members will be voting on a proposed dues hike this week

http://www.freep.com/article/20140603/COL06/306030042/Tom-Walsh-UAW-Bob-King-Dennis-Williams

thats funny, someone was lying to you, currently no one can opt out till sept 2015.

Meanwhile, Michigan’s right-to-work law, starting with the next contract, will enable UAW-represented employees to opt out of paying union dues if they wish. The assumption is that most won’t opt out, but there’s clearly pressure on the leadership to articulate the value is providing in return for the dues — especially since UAW members will be voting on a proposed dues hike this week

http://www.freep.com/article/20140603/COL06/306030042/Tom-Walsh-UAW-Bob-King-Dennis-Williams

Members have been asking when the vote will be, "Delegates" voted not members.....

Decker

Edited by Decker

Cal50 is a hardcore tea party puke. No one can opt out in michigan right now. No one in ohio can opt out either. What non union production worker gets the pay and benifits we do.

Tea party puke. LOL!

The tea party is a concept of less government and balanced ( non-deficit ) spending.

I merely repeated what was said to me by a person running for union office and it makes sense. The union wants no paying members to opt out and frankly has lots of trouble enticing any new members.

If forced membership is your only saving grace for existence right to work laws take that away from unions and hopefully give the option to those that are paying the dues.

If the dues paying members are happy then there is nothing the union should fear but if members feel short changed or receiving a poor value on dues spent lookout.

Sounds like German autoworker are getting a better "deal" than we are........

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/feb/19/vw-uaw-tennessee-auto-workers-stupid-or-coerced

• Like 2

Let me ask you this? Does an extra 1.16 a time come anywhere near getting 14.42 each time dues are deducted? Somehow getting 58.94 the 13 times dues are taken out is more money than 72.12 they will be getting each time.

Edited by MI451

Let me ask you this? Does an extra 1.16 a time come anywhere near getting 14.42 each time dues are deducted? Somehow getting 58.94 the 13 times dues are taken out is more money than 72.12 they will be getting each time.

you got a headache going over that also I presume?

"A 2% raise would bring in MORE than the 1/2 hour additional dues."

Based on his numbers, 2% is a .57 cent raise. Times that by two and you get a whopping $1.14 per month dues increase. I am not the smartest person on this planet. But I do not see how doing a 2% increase alone trumps a half hour increase at this time.

you got a headache going over that also I presume?

"A 2% raise would bring in MORE than the 1/2 hour additional dues."

Based on his numbers, 2% is a .57 cent raise. Times that by two and you get a whopping $1.14 per month dues increase. I am not the smartest person on this planet. But I do not see how doing a 2% increase alone trumps a half hour increase at this time.

It was confusing to me also.