Six speed manual / 2015 Focus?

ranchero

I do know that the three cylinder 2015 Focus will have a six speed manual (in addition to the ST which already has one).

I have not been able to find out if the four cylinder 2015 Focus SE with the current and continuing 2.0 litre will be available with a six speed manual.

The current cars, including one I own, offer only a five speed manual or a six speed automatic. I have the manual, don't think it has enough gears, want something better but absolutely do not want the automatic. I do not want the three; the 2.0 litre four is good enough - just barely. I do not want the ST.

Is there any clear information on transmission availability for the 2015 Focus with the 2.0 litre four? Again, I want a six speed manual. I will have waited three years for something better since I bought my five speed manual 2012 Focus in the fall of 2011. It is time for something better. Volkswagen? They've got it across the Golf line.

Please advise me if anyone here knows more than I have been able to glean.

Thank you.

- ranchero -

Thank you. If true, this is a big disappointment and a sign that Ford needs to wake up!

USA market competition all have six speed manual on their everyday four cylinder engines: Chevrolet Cruze, Dodge Dart, Volkswagen Golf.

How could Ford not know that an extra gear was needed for manuals? The 2.0/5M is slow to accelerate from a stop and, at high freeway speeds in the west, the car runs out of needed gear ratios. The car has been on the market for 3+ years; the issue of a less than satisfying drivetrain in the car could have been easily understood and addressed along with the fascia makeover and interior improvements.

- ranchero -

The number one competitions in this area are the Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic. Neither of them have 6 speed manuals.

I agree, Ford should put one in. I do believe they have one in the Focus in Europe, so I'm not sure why they don't here.

The 2014 Corolla 1.8L is offered with a 6 speed manual.

I think the Civic non SI variant is one of the only C segment cars not offering a 6 speed manual.

I just double checked. "6 speed manual - not available" across the board. 4 speed automatic and CVT are it.

I just double checked. "6 speed manual - not available" across the board. 4 speed automatic and CVT are it.

it depends on the region you live in...thats Toyota's way. I've driven a 2014 Corolla S with a six speed manual...so they exist...but it depends on where you live. I'm in Milwaukee.

No, I have not driven 1.0. Not interested.

Here's what I want: nothing smaller than Focus hatch; an engine with no fewer than four cylinders; a six speed manual; leather; a Ford; the ability to carry a bicycle inside the car; a car comfortable and quiet enough for 1,000 + mile trips on interstates in the mountain west.

I like my current 2012 Focus SE five speed well enough but want much quicker 0 to 10 mph acceleration and much quieter, lazier engine work at 80mph between Flagstaff and Albuquerque, Laramie and Salt Lake, Casper and Billings - and everywhere else I go in the mountain west. I do not care about fuel mileage.

A 1.0 three would be fine to commute within Antwerp or Boston or Honolulu, but please understand, it clearly can not work in the American mountain west.

- ranchero -

Here's what I want: nothing smaller than Focus hatch; an engine with no fewer than four cylinders; a six speed manual; leather; a Ford; the ability to carry a bicycle inside the car; a car comfortable and quiet enough for 1,000 + mile trips on interstates in the mountain west.

I like my current 2012 Focus SE five speed well enough but want much quicker 0 to 10 mph acceleration and much quieter, lazier engine work at 80mph between Flagstaff and Albuquerque, Laramie and Salt Lake, Casper and Billings - and everywhere else I go in the mountain west. I do not care about fuel mileage.

A 1.0 three would be fine to commute within Antwerp or Boston or Honolulu, but please understand, it clearly can not work in the American mountain west.

- ranchero -

Sounds like the 3 cyl 1L would work fine here in flat Florida. Once on the Interstate, it will get up to 80 mph and in stop & go city/urban driving with no hills or elevation to deal with, it a born natural winner. As far as 5 speed or 6 speed manual transmissions go, sorry, its over,done, finished! 99% of the Americans car market either (can`t) drive a stick shift anymore or choose not to row their own gears. I work PT at Manheim Auto Auctions, Palm Beach and you should see how difficult it is getting bids on any manual transmission Vehicles, (not) simply low end American Cars. Audi, BMW, Ferrari, VW, even HD Mid-Engine varieties have all gone to automatic paddle shifters. The high end Ferrari, Lambourgini, Mazz, too have all gone almost 95% automatic as well. 75% of Americans can`t even drive a stick shift anymore. Sorry, 5 speed or 6 speed manual transmissions are headed for the dust pan of history here in North America.

- ranchero -

The car for you

Focus ST wagon

post-25487-0-34224400-1402162379_thumb.jpg

Having driven a Ferrari 458 Italia on a racetrack in full auto mode I can tell you that a manual is not needed. Neither is paddle shifters. That thing downshifts automatically very fast always keeping you in the right gear. Now it probably costs more than a Focus ST just for the transmission but man that thing is sweet!!

Yes, Fordmantpw - I had to!

MKII - lots of Fords in Europe that would be the car for me. A Mondeo/Fusion wagon would be ideal; the Focus wagon or ST wagon would be much preferable to what I have. I like very much the upcoming in USA Golf wagon diesel but I am scared of reliability/durability issues with VW and the lack of dealerships for service in mountain time zone. I prefer a Ford.

- ranchero -

When are the '15 Focuses being built, etc? Usually by now there are dealer order guides.

Are they a late model run, not coming til October-December?

Yes this is odd that there is zero news on start of production for the North American MY2015 Focus.

Wonder what is going on.

Focus start of production at Saarlouis, Germany begins in September.

• 1 month later...

According to Ford website, they say "early 2015 availability", so looks like late arrival. Maybe need to sell more 2014 Focuses for CAFE gas mileage 'brownie points'.

Bingo! Production of the 2015 is scheduled to start December 8th, but it's already been pushed back several times already. The other issue stems from changeover related to the new F-150. They have to reconfigure so much of Dearborn Stamping that they are moving the entire line they used to stamp the Focus and C-Max doors and that hasn't been done yet. I was told this by someone who works high up there.

One thing they can't do is keep building 2014 models past this coming New Years Eve!

Laws ban this.

There's been a few historical vehicles that got built til near New Years, such as last Ranger, 1996 Caprice, 1987 Buick Grand National, and last CVPI.

Edited by 630land

True, and then call the 'all new' ones "the 2015 and a 1/2 Focus".

The '15 update reminds me of the 2005 one where it was a new dashboard and front face*. Besides offering the 1.0 3cyl Eco-Boost, what else is a big change?

* Well, there was the new Duratech 4 too.

Edited by 630land

I think the '15 update is fine. But, if you go to Focus forums, the fan boys are up in arms. Just as with any change, there is the usual cry of "they ruined my car!". Just as some fans of single Mustang model years.

They say "it looks too much like a Fusion". Well, the current ones look like Escapes and C-Maxes, so what?

Some fanatics just dont like change and want their car to be 'forever new'.

• 3 weeks later...