Working on Dually breaks - Heavy Tires

wgunkel

Wondering how others deal with the dually tires there heavy and not easy to get off much less put back on by your self

Must be tool that the shops use (if so what is it). And is there something for use home shop. I have power tools to remove the bolts and heavy duty jack and jack stands etc but nothing to lift the tires so can put them back on the truck

I normally jack the truck up just enough to clear the wheels

Tires are heavy enough that

#1 pulling the first wheel Ok, but second wheel drags on the studs since its hard to handle at ground level (that is to say standing I can lift the tire but not so easy at ground level)

#2 Putting tire back on is the big issue getting it line up with the studs and lifting & truning is hard. Second tire more fun since you do not have extra bolt lenght as you do with first one

I looking for a reasnable cost power tool to left / hold the tire so I can get the bolts lined up

I never used any of those products. They don't work all that well, from most people I have talked to. Take a lot of time and don't perform all that well. As most technicians are on commission, the time needed to use another tool is not worth it. I always set the wheel on the hub, rotate it to line up the studs and slide it on. I don't usually struggle all that hard with them, I guess. I do have a product called a Dually buddy to free them from the hubs when they are corroded together that works like a dream. One thing that does help when you are low (i.e. not using a lift) is sitting your butt on the ground and using your feet as much as you can.

• 1 month later...

Hello my friend, I'm not sure if the dual tires come off together or independently, but when I use to do forklift repairs I handled a lot of dual tires situations where the tires where solid rubber. Get yourself a metal plate,(stop sign, sheet metal,etc...) put a little oil or grease on it and place it under the tires when jacked up. When you loosen the lugs the wheels will drop a bit. Lower the jack until the wheels just start to touch and then just slide them off. Easy as pie. ;)

I never used any of those products. They don't work all that well, from most people I have talked to. Take a lot of time and don't perform all that well. As most technicians are on commission, the time needed to use another tool is not worth it. I always set the wheel on the hub, rotate it to line up the studs and slide it on. I don't usually struggle all that hard with them, I guess. I do have a product called a Dually buddy to free them from the hubs when they are corroded together that works like a dream. One thing that does help when you are low (i.e. not using a lift) is sitting your butt on the ground and using your feet as much as you can.

I got that same type of product, a piece of 4x4 with handles. Works on duallys, cars and trucks. Buddy runs a wrecker and showed me.