2014 C-max questions

Fordfan82

My wife and i are debating on leasing a 2014 C-max. She suggested a Focus first. My questions are how much more interior space do you have compared to a Focus? Are the back seats comfortable? Is it better to get the SEL model vs SE? Does it drive more like an Escape or Focus?

My wife and i are debating on leasing a 2014 C-max. She suggested a Focus first. My questions are how much more interior space do you have compared to a Focus? Are the back seats comfortable? Is it better to get the SEL model vs SE? Does it drive more like an Escape or Focus?

I owned a 2012 Focus and a 2013 Escape. Yes, I'm one of those guys who is never satisfied. To be honest, I'm completely satisfied with my Energi. There is slightly less rear cargo space than the Focus due to the high voltage battery (HVB), but much more leg and head room, front and rear. As a matter of fact, the interior passenger volume is the same as the Escape and the driver's seat is wider than the Focus. The best part for me is not having to put gasoline in the tank since 3/23 and I'm now, just under 1/2 tank. The car rides and handles great, it's more like the Focus than Escape, it's a car, not a CUV. It has plenty of acceleration in electric vehicle mode (EV) or using the internal combustion engine (ICE) and did I mention the best part, you can go for months without buying gas if you manage your driving style and strategically alternate between the EV and ICE. You didn't mention which C-Max you are considering, other than SE or SEL. I would think about the features you want, but I lean towards the SEL. The main difference is between a hybrid or a plug in electric, both drive the same and have the same interior and exterior dimensions. Depending on your driving style and needs, you will potentially use less fuel if you choose an Energi, but I'm biased and I'm sure there are some hybrid owners out there who will dispute that. Whichever way you go, it's a great car.

Edited by transitman

She likes my ford touch, backup cam, rear sensor, power seats. We looked at the SE model and liked we could get those features but it was manual seats and i have't had manual anything since my 98 neon. Then I looked at the SEL model on some dealership websites and noticed power seats but no backup cam . What are the main differences between the SE and SEL model besides power seats only being available on the SEL model?? We are looking at the Hybrid version as Energi is nice but out of our price range.

Edited by Fordfan82

So i compared the two models and wondering 1. Are the back seats comfortable especially on road trips? I've heard they are designed for kids and not adults? Do the dealerships ever have rebates more than 1,000 on them? What is the MPH you can drive before it switches to the gas?

I've never heard, on any car, truck, van, SUV or CUV that the back seats were designed for kids. There is a LATCH system built into the rear seats to secure a child safety seat. I have only sat in my rear seats briefly, the rear seats are not as comfortable as the front, they are a little harder and flatter. In my region, Ford is offering $5007 in incentives if purchased from dealer stock, plus, if you purchase an Energi, there's an additional $4007 tax refund.
You need to go to a dealership to check one out in person. Especially for questions on comfort and fit. What fits and suits me, may not fit or suit you. I don't know about the hybrid version, but the Energi can travel up to 85 mph in EV before it switches from electric to the ICE. You can access owner's manuals here to see specifics on both versions:

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/retail/default.asp

I have taught you to fish Fordfan82, you're on your own now. Best of luck.

• Like 1

I bought my 2013 Ford C-Max "SE" last Aug. 2013. Almost 5K driven to date and not one issue or problem despite all the negative Reviews by Consumer Reports. I opted for the SE over the SEL Model not just to save thousands of dollars but did`nt need a lot of options I would never appreciate or use. Leather Seats in South Florida, not for me! For a MSRP of $26,800 including the Sirius XM Radio and Touchscreen MFT, adding the $1000 Rebate plus a Special added $750 Mailed Rebate and .09% Financing for 36 months and using the Ford X-Plan, it was a "Walk Off Home Run"! Power, Comfort, Easy To Look At, and averaging between 36 to 38 MPG in stop & go City Driving and Highway at speeds of 75 MPH, whats not to like?

• 2 months later...

Looks like we're going with a 2014 Max SE. To lease an SEL would run us 500 a month. He said the residual value is lower on the SEL. Thanks everyone for the help.

Try to find a C-Max SE with a Window Sticker an the (old) EPA Mileage estimates. If it has the proper VIN# your good for (2) additional Rebate Cheques for Fuel Economy. One for $550 and another for $475! Probably would be found on an old 2013 Model they may still have in Inventory and never got around to replacing the updated window sticker.

Pretty sure they're replacing all of the old window stickers on unsold vehicles.

True, but some Dealerships are more (diligent) then others in removing and replacing with new updated Window Stickers especially if its old inventory thats been buried for months in the back of the 2013 C-Max Hybrid unsold Lot. They would probably catch it though once it was processed by the Finance Manager while adding on available Program Discounts and Rebates.

• 1 month later...

Almost 5K driven to date and not one issue or problem despite all the negative Reviews by Consumer Reports.

CR's actual review was quite positive. They did get 37mpg in their tests, rather short of the 47mpg EPA rating at the time, but still excellent in comparison to other cars they tested (though not as good as the 41mpg they got on the Prius V).

The negative press is more in terms of falling short of expectations set by the 47mpg EPA rating, rather than the fuel economy actually being "bad".

Edited by tjl