Exhaust brake

chough

• 5 weeks later...

I'm hoping they work well for stop-and-go traffic. I commute 28 miles a day sometimes in really heavy traffic and I hate alternating from accerletor to brake. Here's hoping that it works well at low speeds.

Edited by Clean-15

The Exhaust brake on thse trucks won't do much in stop and go traffic.

You really need to have some higher RPMs, for it to create any back pressure. ( at least on my 2011, have no idea on the 2015)

Most exhaust brakes turn off at low speeds, basically unlock the Torque Convertor, so that you don't stall the engine.

I do find that my 2011, does a good job of holding back a load in 1st gear at 25 mph, 2nd gear at 40 mph and 3rd gear at 60 mph. So it works well for me coming down 7% mountain grades with a load of horses behind me at 13,000 lbs. I can come down a 6-7% grade at the speeds I listed and not touch my brakes.

I tell people to plan on using this exhaust brake to hold a speed down a grade, Not to expect it to slow me down.

Also plan on the best performance from your exhaust brake at around 3000 rpm. If you are at 2000 rpm, there just isn't enough back pressure to feel any braking

I just towed for the first time with my 2015..... My take on it is that I questioned if it was working or not,....... I was at low RPM and on level road.... I was and still chomping at the bit to find a good hill and have at it !!!! It will do nothing for you in stop and go traffic , or un loaded for that matter on level roads.... July 4th weekend will be the test for me , I will be taking the camper on a few roads that have runaway truck ramps.... I CANT WAIT ! ! ! ! !

I tell people to plan on using this exhaust brake to hold a speed down a grade, Not to expect it to slow me down.

This is exactly how Ford described how the exhaust brake works. They said that when going down a grade with the exhaust brake, it will maintain speed for you without having to press on your brake.. it isn't designed to slow you down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...