Redesigned 2015 Camry debuts

rmc523

That C-pillar treatment is one of the worst I've ever seen.

"Hey Bob, what are we going to do to cover up that the C-pillar hasn't been changed since the H.W.Bush administration?"

"Great question, Phil! How about a fake window?"

I saw that - "now featuring an all new greenhouse design!"

Yep - that's the one I saw in the focus group last year. I told you it was a slight improvement but nothing earth-shattering. It will satisfy the current Camry customers and keep them in the fold but this won't garner any conquest sales.

The rest of the Focus group (Fusion, Optima, Volvo, Avenger, Accord drivers) felt exactly the same way. We were expecting to see something great (I was expecting to see a new Ford product) and were greatly disappointed.

Yep - that's the one I saw in the focus group last year. I told you it was a slight improvement but nothing earth-shattering. It will satisfy the current Camry customers and keep them in the fold but this won't garner any conquest sales.

The rest of the Focus group (Fusion, Optima, Volvo, Avenger, Accord drivers) felt exactly the same way. We were expecting to see something great (I was expecting to see a new Ford product) and were greatly disappointed.

Did the front-end treatment garner many pro or con comments? That grille opening gets more polarizing the longer I look at it, especially for this class of car.

The back end looks like it was cribbed directly from the Hyundai Sonata.

"Hey Bob, what are we going to do to cover up that the C-pillar hasn't been changed since the H.W.Bush administration?"

Oh, it's changed. It's gotten wider and wider and wider.

That's how they've managed to stretch out the '92 model without a substantial tear-up. Shoot. I'll bet they're still running the exhaust under the lower control arms on the rear suspension.

And this? This is like wearing a loose fitting dark shirt with vertical stripes to hide your weight gain. Only more so.

This car just reeks of design frustration.... Of people who are trying to do a decent job, but who have neither the budget nor the freedom to do what needs to be done.

I do not believe that Japanese execs can be persuaded that the Camry needs to be replaced. And I cannot believe that engineers and designers working on the Camry are unaware of its massive shortcomings.

And, unlike Ford in the 00s, Toyota does not have business units elsewhere in their empire skilled in the engineering of new, cost-effective platforms.

I think they are rapidly losing the ability to engineer a new platform, and that they will continue to do these 'grandfather's ax' upgrades to their stable of vehicles.

I do not think that Subaru can provide an engineering basis for new Toyota products. Their products are neither economical nor universally appealing.

Allowing Subaru to design the next Camry would make it irrelevant at once instead of gradually over time.

Edited by RichardJensen

My best guess is this is a cost cutting measure, because it won't be a fake window in the ES-350 version.

Did the front-end treatment garner many pro or con comments? That grille opening gets more polarizing the longer I look at it, especially for this class of car.

The back end looks like it was cribbed directly from the Hyundai Sonata.

The front end (especially the lighting) and the wheels were the only part that we really liked. I can't remember which grille was on the prototype - seems like there were 2 options. The rest of the car was "meh" it's a camry. And they showed pictures of the exterior and interior for the new camry and all of the other major competitors. The interiors all looked the same from 10 feet away.

• Like 1

It is hideous! But worse – I will have to see them all over the road just like the equally hideous new Tundra, Highlander, RAV4 and even more hideous (if that is possible) 4Runner. My gosh, are these vehicles that good that even if you try to turn people off they still line up to buy them?

• Like 1