2015 Mustang 50 Year Limited Edition unveiled

1965 is one, not zero. 1966 is your second model year. The 50th model year would be 2014.

No, you getting confused with year models, Ford is commemorating the 50th anniversary date,

which is this calendar year, the car that gets released this calender year (2015) commemorates that.

And yes, the 2015 Mustang arrives in the 51st year of production but commemorates the 50th anniversary DATE

by being produced after the date, not before..

Edited by jpd80

No, you getting confused with year models, Ford is commemorating the 50th anniversary date,

which is this calendar year, the car that gets released this calender year (2015) commemorates that.

But which car is in production on the 50th anniversary date? The '14. :)

When the '15 starts, 50 model years will have completed. Right now, the car has been in production for 50 years. Take your pick, either one could be considered correct, but personally, the purist in me thinks the 50th anniversary edition should have been on the '14 model. However, the 'cool for Ford' side of me wants to see it on the '15 since it's the latest and greatest.

Tomato/tomahto.

The '14 should have gotten the 50th Anniversary package. As it would follow logically how my '04 got the 40th anniversary badges and the '94 got the 30th anniversary badges. Not to mention all the 45th anniversary badges on '09s etc. I see what they are doing but it breaks with what they have done the last 20 years at least...

Edited by Tico

While all of that is true, this is more about marketing so remember that it's a commemoration of the 50th anniversary (date),

not a model related precisely to the 50th year. Ford simply chooses to do it with the new model - smart marketing.

Edited by jpd80

While all of that is true, this is more about marketing so remember that it's a commemoration of the 50th anniversary (date),

not a model related precisely to the 50th year. Ford simply chooses to do it with the new model - smart marketing.

Exactly...it's all about marketing.

• Like 1

Let's see....Model year 1965 + 50 yrs. = model year 2015. It seems model years can be released pretty much any time. It just so happened that Ford released the 1965 Mustang in April 1964 and is celebrating on that date fifty years later. It may have been different if they had designated the Mustang to be a 1964 1/2 car (like they officially did with the 1963 Fastback Galaxies and Falcons being designated 1963 1/2 models). Having closely followed the Mustang development; and been an original purchaser of a 1965 Mustang; I don't remember a single reference to the Mustang being a 1964 1/2 during those years. In Fact, Ford emphasized the idea that it was a 1965 model. I believe that the Mustang restoration movement many years later coined the 1964 1/2 notion to distinguish the technical differences between the early 65's and the later 65's.

Are you guys really arguing about this? The 2015 model is the car getting the 50 year anniversary edition, end of story. It doesn't matter what we think about it or whether or not a 64 1/2 is really a 65 or blah blah blah. 2015, 50 year anniversary car, the end. It's not worth getting upset about.

• Like 1

Are you guys really arguing about this? The 2015 model is the car getting the 50 year anniversary edition, end of story. It doesn't matter what we think about it or whether or not a 64 1/2 is really a 65 or blah blah blah. 2015, 50 year anniversary car, the end. It's not worth getting upset about.

Who's upset? Just because there is a discussion doesn't mean someone is upset.

The 50 year car should be built off the current model. 2015 is 51 years.

I thought about using that logic to get booze on my 20th birthday (day I was born = 1, one year later = 2, etc., which gets you to 21 when you turn 20).

But here's the thing: This is the 50th Anniversary edition.

And there have only been 50 anniversary years, because you can't have an anniversary on the same date that the anniversary commemorates.

Edited by RichardJensen

I thought about using that logic to get booze on my 20th birthday (day I was born = 1, one year later = 2, etc., which gets you to 21 when you turn 20)

In some Asian countries they do count birthdays that way - you are 1 @ birth.