Why wont Ford help?

coupe3w

Yeah, that's why they have the Cobra Jet program right? Then why race at all than?

You mean the Cobra Jet that people pay money for to Ford that generates profits? Versus spending lots of money to help other people win money? Profit vs. expense?

You mean the Cobra Jet that people pay money for to Ford that generates profits? Versus spending lots of money to help other people win money? Profit vs. expense?

Yes, that's it exactly. Corporate greed instead of customer satisfaction.

Yes, that's it exactly. Corporate greed instead of customer satisfaction.

After the meltdown and bankruptcy of two of the three American car companies and considering just how close Ford got to turning out the lights also...I believe it is less Corporate Greed vs a sound business model that frowns on throwing millions of dollars into a program that has a shrinking base and has less of an impact on the sales charts...as a customer, I am very satisfied with my FoMoCo products...and as a shareholder, I am equally pleased with their corporate decisions that keep the company a viable entity in the 21st century and beyond, thus keeping me satisfied as a customer of FoMoCo products...

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 1

After the meltdown and bankruptcy of two of the three American car companies and considering just how close Ford got to turning out the lights also...I believe it is less Corporate Greed vs a sound business model that frowns on throwing millions of dollars into a program that has a shrinking base and has less of an impact on the sales charts...as a customer, I am very satisfied with my FoMoCo products...and as a shareholder, I am equally pleased with their corporate decisions that keep the company a viable entity in the 21st century and beyond, thus keeping me satisfied as a customer of FoMoCo products...

I too am a customer and a shareholder. Some what satisfied as both (always room for improvement). But they give money to the NASCAR, IMSA, V8 Supercar, and even Formula Drifting. Maybe you have no interest in racing but I do. I hate to see Fords loose week in and week out. They should pull out of ALL motorsports if they are just going to help a few sanctioning bodies then. Just because Mr. Jamie Alison doesn't like drag racing doesn't mean he can't still support them? When Brian Wolf was running the Motorsports program he at least helped the Ford teams in drag racing. Ford always does this, they start something and then pull the plug half way through. I don't get it.

So you think Ford should spend their money supporting racing that YOU like as opposed to things that help their business? Really?

Just because you don't like racing don't think the rest of the population don't. I bet you never even built a motor in your life, have you? Have you ever been to a race track? I happen to like motorsports and I am sick of the way Ford has halve ass helped the racing guys just because of profits. Like I said if they don't want to support racing full bore than don't do it at all. I guess you think it's okay for then to support the type of racing THEY want if THEY think it's profitable. Well I don't think any racing is profitable for the racer or the manufacturers. They do it for bragging rights and pride. And I'm sick of Ford not winning and being the laughing stock of the racing world. Sorry if you don't get it, but some guys are passionate about their mark winning, and I guess I'm just one of them.

How much of your hard earned money do you donate (not counting ticket sales) to Ford racing teams to support them?

I buy a T-shirt or 2. But I also buy many Ford racing parts through Ford Motorsports.

Edited by coupe3w

I like racing. But I understand how to run a business and you can't just give tens or hundreds or millions of dollars away for fun with no return on investment.

I understand the difference between what I like and what makes sense. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever for Ford to support drag racing just because a few enthusiasts want them to.

Been a motorhead all my life....restored a 1976 Mercury Montego MX and am throughly enjoying the heck out of a 1983 Mustang GLX convertible (The Ford Motorsport spring set just arrived today...) in my youth and growing up, my neighbor when I was a kid was Jerry Cook, 6 time open wheel modified (Now called Whelen series) NASCAR champ in the 70's AND Richie Evans (The Rapid Roman) was close personal friends with my father as both Jerry and Richie were from Rome NY...so yeah....I have been deeply involved with motorsports ALL my life....that being said, Ford is doing the right thing by wisely investing selectively in various motorsports...but just to blindly open the cash register and start flinging money around because some guy poured a TON of his own money into his project and is not getting a good return does not need Fords' help, he needs to talk to a financial planner so that he doesn't make that mistake again......

Personally, I put WAY more money into my Montego than I will ever get out of it...but you don't see me running to FoMoCo asking for a hand out "because I am making them look good"....it was my investment, with my money, my time and my my loss if I decide to sell it.....or, I can just keep it and enjoy it for myself.....just like the guy in the article with the car he put too much money into...

Oh, and by the way. The NASCAR race at Darlington last night the Chevy's came in 1,2, and 3. How is that ROI working out for Ford? Yet Ford keeps throwing money at NASCAR, has for years. You should go to a NASCAR race and see what it's all about. Then you may understand. Here is a list of the NASCAR manufactures titles Ford has 15 Chevy has 38. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NASCAR_Manufacturers%27_champions

Edited by coupe3w

Oh, and by the way. The NASCAR race at Darlington last night the Chevy's came in 1,2, and 3. How is that ROI working out for Ford? Yet Ford keeps throwing money at NASCAR, has for years. You should go to a NASCAR race and see what it's all about. Then you may understand. Here is a list of the NASCAR manufactures titles Ford has 15 Chevy has 38. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NASCAR_Manufacturers%27_champions

...and this justifies Ford dumping even more money into NHRA....how?

...and this justifies Ford dumping even more money into NHRA....how?

It doesn't. Just making a point that the Fords aren't competitive in any racing venues. And yet they still put money into them except NHRA. Oh and FYI all 3 Fords in P/S lost in the first round at Z-max today.

Ford should not be in NASCAR - it's not helping them. The only reason anyone can think of is that they have long term business relationships with Roush and some of the other teams so they're doing it out of loyalty.

Nothing - absolutely nothing - about NASCAR or NHRA has anything whatsoever to do with street vehicles. They don't help Ford sell vehicles like they used to when they were more production based and the imports were not as popular.

It has nothing to do with what I like or what you like - it has to do with what helps the bottom line. And saying that it's corporate greed is ridiculous. Ford isn't a charity and you can't just throw money away on things that don't work or you end up in bankruptcy.

And Ford let a guy named Chase Elliott get away from them. He is going to haunt Ford for a decade or two. 7 nationwide races with 6 top tens and 2 wins and just turned 18. Driving a Chevrolet of course because Rick Hendrick is not afraid to invest in the future unlike Jack Roush. The kid is the real deal. I am a Ford man at heart but on race day I pull for the driver over the make but I sure hated to see Ford/Roush just blow this kid off.

And Ford let a guy named Chase Elliott get away from them. He is going to haunt Ford for a decade or two. 7 nationwide races with 6 top tens and 2 wins and just turned 18. Driving a Chevrolet of course because Rick Hendrick is not afraid to invest in the future unlike Jack Roush. The kid is the real deal. I am a Ford man at heart but on race day I pull for the driver over the make but I sure hated to see Ford/Roush just blow this kid off.

..and that is the person (people) you want see if you want to be "invested" in your racing career...

Ford should not be in NASCAR - it's not helping them. The only reason anyone can think of is that they have long term business relationships with Roush and some of the other teams so they're doing it out of loyalty.

Nothing - absolutely nothing - about NASCAR or NHRA has anything whatsoever to do with street vehicles. They don't help Ford sell vehicles like they used to when they were more production based and the imports were not as popular.

It has nothing to do with what I like or what you like - it has to do with what helps the bottom line. And saying that it's corporate greed is ridiculous. Ford isn't a charity and you can't just throw money away on things that don't work or you end up in bankruptcy.

" ... doing it out of loyalty" Well what about the loyal fans? Don't you think Ford owes them something? Of course YOU don't. Get off your corporate couch and live a little. Maybe Alan Mulally could give up a little of his over paid salary to help out your bottom line. And maybe a few of the other corporate bigwigs as well. But you know that won't happen. Remember they will get rich(er) before you or I will, and I call that greed.

Edited by coupe3w

" ... doing it out of loyalty" Well what about the loyal fans? Don't you think Ford owes them something? Of course YOU don't. Get off your corporate couch and live a little. Maybe Alan Mulally could give up a little of his over paid salary to help out your bottom line. And maybe a few of the other corporate bigwigs as well. But you know that won't happen. Remember they will get rich(er) before you or I will, and I call that greed.

It's always greed when it affects someone else's money but not when it comes out of your own pocket.

Fans don't buy new vehicles. Customers do. Any company that spends money emotionally without regards to profitability is doomed to fail. GM gave fans a G8, a GTO, Solstice and Sky, CTS V series - all very popular with magazines and enthusiasts. And it landed them in bankruptcy.

Besides, real racing is when an individual builds something themselves and races it. The very teams you say Ford should support are multi-million dollar corporations themselves. The drivers don't work on the cars. So you're asking one corporation to subsidize another corporation just because they put a Ford emblem on something. That's just advertising and there are far better ways for teams to spend their advertising dollars than corporate race teams. Like what Ford did with Mustang road racing a few years back.

• Like 1

It's always greed when it affects someone else's money but not when it comes out of your own pocket.

Fans don't buy new vehicles. Customers do. Any company that spends money emotionally without regards to profitability is doomed to fail. GM gave fans a G8, a GTO, Solstice and Sky, CTS V series - all very popular with magazines and enthusiasts. And it landed them in bankruptcy.

Besides, real racing is when an individual builds something themselves and races it. The very teams you say Ford should support are multi-million dollar corporations themselves. The drivers don't work on the cars. So you're asking one corporation to subsidize another corporation just because they put a Ford emblem on something. That's just advertising and there are far better ways for teams to spend their advertising dollars than corporate race teams. Like what Ford did with Mustang road racing a few years back.

I think if you are a fan you are a customer. Most and I mean 90% of drag racers build their own cars. The drivers don't work on their cars? Again you have never been to a drag race have you? Tell that to Larry Morgan, he builds his own engines, does the set up of the clutch, tunes the car, does all between round maintenance. Most of the P/S drivers do some if not all of the work on their cars. I don't think the Ford P/S teams want corporate big dollars. What they would like is a little engineering help and some parts. That would go a long way in making them more competitive. "Like what Ford did with Mustang road racing a few years back." So are you talking about the Trans Am days when Ford was actually winning? And that is when the Trans Am racing really benefited the street cars? Yes, those were good times.