View New Content

Akirby will just love this thread given that it has nothing to do with politics.

So I just used the "View New Content" feature. It is the first time that I have used it since I started posting on this forum seven years ago. Here is what I found,

1. It's slow. It is actually faster to just go to the main forum page and pick the section you want to view topics in i.e. General Discussion, Competitive Products etc etc. Doing this will result in showing the viewer all of the topics in that section that have new content since the last time they visited the forum because those topics will be in bold. Using the "View New Content" feature takes the viewer off to another page and then the website has to compile all the latest topics and list them. It is far slower than just going to the main forum page and browsing from there.

2. Three of the fourteen threads listed were from the Off Topic section. Three. The other eleven topics were from various other automotive related parts of the forum. That is by no means a case where anyone can claim that the Off Topic section dominates the view new content feature. What a bunch of bunk that is.

I'm getting the feeling that we have someone who just flat doesn't like politically related threads period and that's what this whole debate boils down to.

I just want to add that whatever Robert or the overall moderators decide about this subject I will of course abide by it. If they want us to can the political threads altogether that is fine by me. Personally I don't think the political threads are the least bit disruptive to the rest of the forum and they aren't hurting a thing. As far as I'm concerned there is no reason for anyone to get upset by the fact that they are present. But if the decision is made to put an end to it, than so be it. I just don't understand how anyone gets that upset when they use the view new content feature and three of the listed threads are political in nature. Even if it was six or seven, so what. Just don't click on them. That's my take on it, but as I said, the view new feature content is so slow I personally would never use it.

Edited by BlackHorse

Can't really see how it's faster to go section by section, unless you are a new user or you previously ignored most of the sections so you'd be flooded with "new" content when you click it.

If you stop in throughout the day or week, I really can't see any faster way to see who has responded to anything you may have looked at during your previous visit. Plus it exposes you to posts you may not have otherwise ordinarily noticed (how many posters here never even look anywhere except in the Ford Motor Company Discussion section?)

I don't want to put an end to anything. Just try to keep the discussions relevant to the topic. All I've ever been asking!

View new content displays in approximately 2-3 seconds for me. It's one click. From there I can see if there are any new unread topics that I want to look at. If there are none, then I'm done. If there are 3 topics with new posts I'm interested in it takes me one click to go to each one.

If I go to the main forum page, there are currently 23 subforums with new content that are in bold. I can't see the topics within each section unless I click on each section, so that's 23 clicks just to see if there's anything I want to read. Compared to 1. Duh.

There have been times when at least half of the topics on view new content are political debates in the off topic forum. I ignore most of them but they're still there and I'm not the only one who's complained about it.

• Like 1

View new content displays in approximately 2-3 seconds for me. It's one click. From there I can see if there are any new unread topics that I want to look at. If there are none, then I'm done. If there are 3 topics with new posts I'm interested in it takes me one click to go to each one.

If I go to the main forum page, there are currently 23 subforums with new content that are in bold. I can't see the topics within each section unless I click on each section, so that's 23 clicks just to see if there's anything I want to read. Compared to 1. Duh.

There have been times when at least half of the topics on view new content are political debates in the off topic forum. I ignore most of them but they're still there and I'm not the only one who's complained about it.

Squeeky wheel gets the grease?

Key phrase there everyone is "There have been times when at least half". Meaning not all of the time or even most of the time but sometimes. How many posters on this forum are actually interested in all 23 sub forums? Almost none. The vast majority of posters on this forum are just like posters on all other forums, they post in about 3 to 5 of the sections and don't bother with the rest. Duh.

By the way I just did a check again and there are 23 topics listed under the View New Content and only 4 are from the Off Topic forum. Oh yes clearly this section is just way too intrusive. Whatever.

Edited by BlackHorse

In the more then decade I've belonged to this forum, I don't think I've ever gone in the off topic section more then a handful of times....and only because I saw a topic that looked interesting in the "new content" search. It's the only way I find topics to read. I never go forum to forum.

Case in point. I just realized this is in the off topic forum! I found it in the new content search. I don't really pay attention to what forum I'm in unless I'm starting a new thread.

Edited by Intrepidatious
  • Like 1

Sounds like your I.Q. is above room temperature. Too bad you and I are the exceptions to the rule.....it seems.

You think to highly of yourself. You always have. Contrary to your pontification of yourself, you are just as silly, stupid, obnoxious and grating as the rest of us, you just don't have the ability to see it.

You think to highly of yourself. You always have. Contrary to your pontification of yourself, you are just as silly, stupid, obnoxious and grating as the rest of us, you just don't have the ability to see it.

At least I know the proper usage of "to" vs. "too". And the difference in there and they're.

So try to talk down to me if you want. You're not anywhere above me...and evidently not even up to my level.

At least I know the proper usage of "to" vs. "too". And the difference in there and they're.

So try to talk down to me if you want. You're not anywhere above me...and evidently not even up to my level.

Did you read my comments? The only one who talks down to people is you. I am merely including you in with the rest of us.

Did you read my comments? The only one who talks down to people is you. I am merely including you in with the rest of us.

The guilty dog barks first.

I was addressing the general members who seem to have trouble with this corner of the internet. But you addressed me directly.

He's perfectly innocent and never attacks people. Tomorrow we get to see him walk on water and turn water into wine.

Hyperbole much?

LH, in respect for this weeks relentless discussion of the Off Topic Forum and the "complaints" being heard, I was intending to re-assess the tenor of my comments. And as I clearly stated to Nick and/or akirby, I tend to react two-for one. Now, in light of our long history of clogging the forum with our back-and-forth quibbling, I have a bit of thin skin when you address me directly.

Had you not directed the response at me personally, I would likely have "taken the high road" as Nick suggested.

If you enjoy this kind of exchange, I am fully willing to fire both barrels in return fire. However, I really don't care to spend my time constantly arguing with you about you or me.

But, if you make a bit of effort to review my comments, it should be clear that any animus was in response to that aimed at me. I have attacked you, but in retaliation and in sarcastic reflection of what was aimed my way.

Try a different approach and you my find that my default demeanor is much more sociable and tolerant. Not that I will surrender my heartfelt opinions, but I will offer them as insight rather than flames.

8 to 25, just checked. Still have yet see any evidence that the View New Content feature is overrun with Off Topic section threads.

Akirby, Fired and Langston getting into their little arguments is absolutely no different than the many other petty arguments between other posters that take place all over other sections of this forum so spare us all the oh so indignant BS.

Akirby, Fired and Langston getting into their little arguments is absolutely no different than the many other petty arguments between other posters that take place all over other sections of this forum so spare us all the oh so indignant BS.

The difference is volume. They do this 10 times more than anyone else and they take over threads like this one attacking each other and totally ruining the thread and the original topic for everyone else. If this happened outside the off topic forum the same way they'd be gone in a heartbeat.

Why Nick puts up with it is beyond me.

The difference is volume. They do this 10 times more than anyone else and they take over threads like this one attacking each other and totally ruining the thread and the original topic for everyone else. If this happened outside the off topic forum the same way they'd be gone in a heartbeat.

Why Nick puts up with it is beyond me.

Apparently, I am solely responsible for all that ails this forum. So, I will accept the responsibility of stepping away from here, because I am sure no one else would offer.

Surely, ALL your concerns will be resolved.

We'll see how it turns out.

Apparently, I am solely responsible for all that ails this forum. So, I will accept the responsibility of stepping away from here, because I am sure no one else would offer.

Surely, ALL your concerns will be resolved.

We'll see how it turns out.

No need for you to leave. You are not the only person who gets animated on this forum. Edited by Langston Hughes