Report: Liberals Were Not Targeted by the IRS Despite Claims to Contrary

So, just as any of us with an ounce of common sense here knew to be true from the beginning, now the official report has come out and backed it up. Liberals were not targeted by the IRS while conservative and tea party groups were. Liberal politicians made misleading statements in an effort to convince the American public that liberals were also targeted. They were not. And before you even get started Langston, don't bother trying to lie and offer excuses for them or yourself.

http://weaselzippers.us/182051-irs-agent-testifies-no-liberal-groups-were-targeted-despite-claims-by-democrats/

http://patriotaction.net/profiles/blogs/new-oversight-report-debunks-myth-that-liberal-groups-were

Oh and before you start in with "But it's because Issa is a Republican" lets just keep in mind that there are 17 Democrats on the committee.

Edited by BlackHorse
  • Like 2

Just the sort of excuse making I expected. It doesn't matter what you claim Langston, the truth of the matter is that liberals and liberal groups were not targeted by the IRS and conservative groups were. This is the reason that Lois Lerner came clean about it, because she knew the gig was up, and its also the reason she so quickly retired from government service so soon after. You can post whatever nonsense claims you want but the reality is that conservative groups were targeted by liberals within the IRS who abused the power of their office and should be held accountable for it. Liberal politicians who tried to claim that liberal groups were also targeted were telling lies and knew it was a lie when they said it. This is what happened, accept it and try to be truly objective for once on this forum.

Just the sort of excuse making I expected. It doesn't matter what you claim Langston, the truth of the matter is that liberals and liberal groups were not targeted by the IRS and conservative groups were. This is the reason that Lois Lerner came clean about it, because she knew the gig was up, and its also the reason she so quickly retired from government service so soon after. You can post whatever nonsense claims you want but the reality is that conservative groups were targeted by liberals within the IRS who abused the power of their office and should be held accountable for it. Liberal politicians who tried to claim that liberal groups were also targeted were telling lies and knew it was a lie when they said it. This is what happened, accept it and try to be truly objective for once on this forum.

Excuse?

I'm sorry but you claimed that the report was bi-partisan did you not? Or perhaps tried to make it appear that it was bi-partisan by saying this.

Oh and before you start in with "But it's because Issa is a Republican" lets just keep in mind that there are 17 Democrats on the committee.

This report was created and spearheaded by Chairman Issa without democratic support so you are making once again trying to create a false impression. I'll give you Rep Cummings statement on this report.

“cherry picking evidence and simply disregarding documents that directly contradict his partisan narrative.”
“Chairman Issa has in his possession — right now — IRS documents that show definitively that both progressive and conservative groups were highlighted for scrutiny,”

Would you like further proof? Here lets look at the WSJ article on this report

The report by aides to Rep. Darrell Issa (R., Calif.), chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, emphasizes that the targeting began as an IRS inquiry solely into tea-party groups.

So, you can't claim that this is anything more than a partisan report written by Rep. Issa.

Excuse?

I'm sorry but you claimed that the report was bi-partisan did you not? Or perhaps tried to make it appear that it was bi-partisan by saying this.

This report was created and spearheaded by Chairman Issa without democratic support so you are making once again trying to create a false impression. I'll give you Rep Cummings statement on this report.

Would you like further proof? Here lets look at the WSJ article on this report

So, you can't claim that this is anything more than a partisan report written by Rep. Issa.

Another miss.....Blackhorse continues to kick your ass....ms lerner should go to jail

• Like 1

Another miss.....Blackhorse continues to kick your ass....ms lerner should go to jail

Not. He lied and got caught. Now the bigot apologist has you to be his deception apologist.Just how you guys roll I guess.

BTW, what should she go to jail for? Being a scapegoat in a political battle about Obama? Bet you feel proud, hoping that woman hoes to jail for your hatred of Obama.

Edited by Langston Hughes

The report was released by the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform and like it or not there are seventeen democrats on that committee. If the committee democrats objected to the facts presented or had some proof that the facts presented were untrue than why did they not post their own addendum? Why did they not hold a joint news conference to denounce the report? They all knew what was going to be in this report before it was released to the public so why the curious absence of any objection? Because they know the facts presented in this report are true and undeniable. Posting links from the liberal media does not refute anything. If anything it only further demonstrates the fact the report is true and the lengths to which the liberal media will go to defend the liberal political apparatus in Washington. I know this is difficult for you because once again you invested in the liberal lies that were generated around this event. One would think that sooner or later you would come to the realization that the degree of absolute faith in a political party that you seem to have will invariably end in disappointment. Yet it seems that no matter how many times the liberal democrats are exposed to be just as corrupt, deceptive and hypocritical as the republican party you still find some way to excuse their behavior so that you can carry on with the cheer leading and the hateful and offensive comments.

The report was released by the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform and like it or not there are seventeen democrats on that committee. If the committee democrats objected to the facts presented or had some proof that the facts presented were untrue than why did they not post their own addendum? Why did they not hold a joint news conference to denounce the report? They all knew what was going to be in this report before it was released to the public so why the curious absence of any objection? Because they know the facts presented in this report are true and undeniable. Posting links from the liberal media does not refute anything. If anything it only further demonstrates the fact the report is true and the lengths to which the liberal media will go to defend the liberal political apparatus in Washington. I know this is difficult for you because once again you invested in the liberal lies that were generated around this event. One would think that sooner or later you would come to the realization that the degree of absolute faith in a political party that you seem to have will invariably end in disappointment. Yet it seems that no matter how many times the liberal democrats are exposed to be just as corrupt, deceptive and hypocritical as the republican party you still find some way to excuse their behavior so that you can carry on with the cheer leading and the hateful and offensive comments.

It's not a bi-partisan report and there's no amount of spin that can make it so. Accept that and we can move on already.

The Democrats did not sign off on the report at any point and I already posted the reply of the minority's ranking member. Would you like to read it from another source?

From Roll Call

The California Republican issued a 141-page report Tuesday on the involvement of Lois Lerner, the former director of IRS exempt organizations, in the targeting of prospective tax-exempt organizations.
The report, which did not have signoff from committee Democrats, concludes that Lerner “created unprecedented roadblocks for Tea Party organizations” and “worked surreptitiously to advance new Obama Administration regulations that curtail the activities of existing 501©(4) organizations.

So you can stop dancing, spinning and generally mucking things up in an attempt to make it sound like this is anything but a Rep. Issa report.

I don't need to spin anything given that I couldn't care less about either one of these failed political parties. I just find it absolutely humorous that you spent the last several months carrying the party line that liberals were targeted in the IRS scandal as much as conservatives were and it turns out to be completely untrue. Not that it surprises me, its just that I love it when you get to watch your hero's fall and then try to make excuses for them.

By the way

The California Republican issued a 141-page report Tuesday on the involvement of Lois Lerner, the former director of IRS exempt organizations, in the targeting of prospective tax-exempt organizations.

The report, which did not have signoff from committee Democrats, concludes that Lerner “created unprecedented roadblocks for Tea Party organizations” and “worked surreptitiously to advance new Obama Administration regulations that curtail the activities of existing 501©(4) organizations.

There is nothing in this quote that in any way refutes or contends that the report is untrue or inaccurate. It just says "this is what the report concluded and we didn't sign off on it." Big deal, of course they didn't sign off on it. That doesn't make it untrue. If anything that quote only further proves that the conclusion was accurate otherwise they would have said "we think its untrue." Nice try.

Edited by BlackHorse

It's not a bi-partisan report and there's no amount of spin that can make it so. Accept that and we can move on already.

The Democrats did not sign off on the report at any point and I already posted the reply of the minority's ranking member. Would you like to read it from another source?

From Roll Call

So you can stop dancing, spinning and generally mucking things up in an attempt to make it sound like this is anything but a Rep. Issa report.

You sound like the republicans when Obamacare got passed without a single republican vote.

Now, the shoe is on the other foot.

"Eat it, democrats!"

I don't need to spin anything given that I couldn't care less about either one of these failed political parties. I just find it absolutely humorous that you spent the last several months carrying the party line that liberals were targeted in the IRS scandal as much as conservatives were and it turns out to be completely untrue. Not that it surprises me, its just that I love it when you get to watch your hero's fall and then try to make excuses for them.

By the way

There is nothing in this quote that in any way refutes or contends that the report is untrue or inaccurate. It just says "this is what the report concluded and we didn't sign off on it." Big deal, of course they didn't sign off on it. That doesn't make it untrue. If anything that quote only further proves that the conclusion was accurate otherwise they would have said "we think its untrue." Nice try.

If ya didn't care you wouldn't have tried so hard to suggest it was bi partisan. That's just obvious. You want to believe Issa's report despite the shady way he handled the hhearings and that's ok. It is what it is. And the quote makes what you said untrue, not what the report says.

So now, since early March, that the reports out and it's hit all the talking points have you read it? Sure enough doesn't seem so, but perhaps you are planning on it. I mean that would be better than just reciting the email to us, but I won't hold my breath.

And Lois Lerner is not my hero. You didn't shine a light on a dog ass as far as I'm concerned. Keep trying, cause one day you might succeed Wile Coyote.

Edited by Langston Hughes

The fact of the matter is that liberals were not targeted by the IRS despite what you and many other liberals claimed. Now you've been caught in the lie. I'm not at all surprised that you don't have character enough to admit the truth. There's no point in discussing it with you further because you "won't" accept the truth. Live in your fantasy if you prefer.

Lois Lerner has a history of using the power of the federal government throughout her career to target conservatives and / or republicans. In the early 1990's while she was with the FEC she harassed the Christian Coalition, filing three different law suits against them and losing them all. At one point she filed a law suit against Republican Al Salvi who was running for office against Dick Durbin. She lost that case as well but not before saying the following to Salvi Promise me you will never run for office again, and we’ll drop this case.”

Now that doesn't sound to me like the behavior of an honest public official who is genuinely pursuing a legal action based on evidence of wrong doing. That sounds like a witch hunt to get rid of Dick Durbin's competition. It sounds like that because that's what it was.

During the whole IRS scandal some of the Tea Party or conservative applicants that were targeted were actually asked about the context or nature of their religious prayers. Now anyone with an ounce of common sense knows that the Federal Government has no business inquiring about the nature of one's prayers and furthermore it has no bearing on deciding if the group is qualified for a 501 c status. Ironically, however, this is not the first time that inquiring about the specific nature of a groups prayers has come up. It came up once before, during the deposing of individuals in the Christian Coalition harassment.

This woman came to the IRS and figured to keep right on with the political harassment and intimidation tactics that she long practiced at the FEC. She did it because she is a hardcore leftist who harbors real hate and anger for right wing politics and apparently religion in particular. The mistake she made is that this time she wasn't just targeting political candidates running for office but rather John Q American public. These were everyday Americans who have jobs and mortgages and families and have not spent the whole of their lives emerged in the fantasy world that is Washington politics. Regardless of that she went after them with the same hate filled rage that she has subjected numerous right wing political candidates to over the years. When it came to light what she was doing and started getting attention in the national press the liberals quickly worked out her oh too convenient retirement from the IRS and began cooking up a cover story to make it look as though there was nothing to see here. They realized the political damage that would take place if the American people realized that a liberal activist in the IRS used and abused the power of the federal government to harass certain persons in the American public just because they were of a particular political belief. It is the epitome of oppressive tyrannical government. So she was quickly shown the door and they just as quickly fabricated excuses and lies to cover her actions and the actions of the IRS in order to conduct political damage control. But the truth has come out, and it just isn't going away. I hope they put her jail for what she did to this country.

Sorry Blackhorse but your sources are simply wrong. Darrell Issa has been selectively leaking information from the hearing documents to prop up the idea that only conservative grpous were subject to special scrutiny.

The Associated Press has obtained an internal IRS document that reveals the other terms the agency screened for when deciding which groups should be granted tax exempt status. The news cuts against the original storyline that the tactic was used to target conservatives.

An internal IRS document obtained by The Associated Press said that besides ‘‘tea party,’’ lists used by screeners to pick groups for close examination also included the terms ‘‘Israel,’’ ‘'Progressive’’ and ‘‘Occupy.’’ The document said an investigation into why specific terms were included was still underway.

The Huffington Post reached out to the IRS to confirm the authenticity of this report and has not yet received a response. A congressional aide did, however, confirm that the term "progressive" was indeed a BOLO. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/24/danny-werfel-irs_n_3491835.html

Moreover under the actual language of Section 501 c 4 requires that Social Welfare groups must be "Exclusively" devoted to social welfare advocacy.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopici03.pdf

IRC 501©(4) provides for exemption of:
Civic leagues or organizations not organized for profit but operated exclusively for the promotion of social welfare.
Local associations of employees, the membership of which is limited to the employees of a designated person or persons in a particular municipality and the net earnings of which are devoted exclusively to charitable, educational, or recreational purposes.
The statutory terms disclose that IRC 501©(4) embraces two general classifications:
a. Social welfare organizations, and
b. Local associations of employees.
Since 1959 The IRS has defined "Exclusively" to mean "Primarily" and has permitted exemption for groups that were partially engaged in political activity.
The fact remains that many of the Tea Party Groups as well as many of the Progressive Groups are primarily engaged in political activities and thus are not eligible for 501 c 4 status.
It is particularly interesting that Chairman Issa has ignored this fact every time it has been raised during the IRS hearings he has presided over.

http://www.salon.com/2013/05/15/meet_the_group_the_irs_actually_revoked_democrats/

In fact, the only known 501©(4) applicant to have its status denied happens to be a progressive group: the Maine chapter of Emerge America, which trains Democratic women to run for office. Although the group did no electoral work, and didn’t participate in independent expenditure campaign activity either, its partisan status apparently disqualified it from being categorized as working for the “common good.”

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

Yes I'm sure its all just a coincidence Mark and that's why Lois Lerner apologized publicly on behalf of the IRS and stated that the IRS targeted Tea Party groups and called the actions "absolutely inappropriate".

And then she retired

And then she pleaded the fifth

And then liberals started coming up with alternate versions of reality and history.

I can't hear you Mark, I'm deaf to lies and nonsense.

By the way, who was the IRS official in charge of the groups that oversaw tax exempt groups? Oh yes it was Lois Lerner. Just another coincidence I'm sure. lol

Edited by BlackHorse

You mean this Lois Lerner?

Lerner was a staff attorney in the criminal division at the Department of Justice before joining the FEC's general counsel's office in 1981(Reagan Adm). She was appointed head of the enforcement division in 1986 (Reagan Adm), according to a 2000 FEC press release announcing her appointment as temporary acting general counsel for the FEC (Clinton Adm) .

Lois G. Lerner has been selected as the director of the Exempt Organizations Division of the Internal Revenue Service. In this position, she will be responsible for administering and enforcing the tax laws that apply to more than 1.8 million organizations recognized by the IRS as exempt from tax. Lerner will report to her new position in early January 2006 (G.W. Bush Adm).

Before this appointment, Lerner had been the director of the Exempt Organizations Rulings & Agreements Division, where she was responsible for the EO determinations letter program, public guidance and technical assistance for IRS agents conducting examinations of tax-exempt organizations. Lerner came to the IRS in 2001 (G.W. Bush Adm) from the Federal Election Commission, where she was Associate General Counsel for Enforcement and Acting General Counsel.