All,

So first off I finally got our 2014 Ford Explorer Sport on Jan. 26, 2014 after ordering it on Black Friday. It's been one of the best cars as far as ride quality, comfort/amenities that I've owned in a long time....oh and did I mention it's a BLAST to drive. All this from a guy who is 36 years old and has owned 5 new GM trucks and a Yukon Denali in my life and at one point swore up and down that I would never buy a FORD :) But I do hope that the below issue I'm going to tell you about is fully resolved by my dealer and Ford to keep my trust in this company.

BTW I now have 3500 miles on my vehicle.

So I have some major concerns with some issues that I've been having lately. I wanted to bring it up here, because it's not a known issue, my dealer hasn't heard of it and I don't get ANY lights that come on when this happens.

So here's the problem.

About a month after owning it, I was travelling on the Highway....I was traveling about about 60mph ....I signaled to get over and gave it gas to speed up moderately to about 75mph or so. When I pressed on the gas the car basically almost stalled on me...it wasn't a transmission trying to think which gear to shift into issue, it was a straight choking of the gas and stuttering/hesitating until I let off the gas 2 times or so and then press down on the gas again and it takes off, but it a noticeable lose of power.

This has happened now 4 times with this past weekend 3/30/2014 being the most recent. However the highway speed was the only high speed incident. The other 3 times that it occured were all in town, on one of them I was making a simple u-turn from a stop and when I pressed the gas (not heavily) to get up and out of the turn it stalled. The other time was passing to another lane and giving it some gas to speed up.

This past Sunday I was travelling on a 2 lane road then changes to a 1 lane road approx. 100 yards after the stop lights. I was stopped behind a vehicle and when we started moving the vehicle in front was only going about 20-25mph in a 45mph zone. So I signaled and saw a van in the lane about 100 yards back so I pressed on the gas to get some speed to pass him before the lane ended and again nothing crazy just to get up to 45-50mph or so and the darn thing stalled on me again!!!

This is now becoming a HUGE concern for me as I have 2 young daughters and a wife to worry about and I need a car that I'm confident in driving and need to know the power is on tap when needed to pass someone or to get out of the way if needed (like crossing a busy road where cross-traffic doesn't stop). Also the big concern I have now is that the family and I are planning on a cross-country road trip this summer from May 24-June 10 and we will be driving from Northern California to Niagra Falls and back stopping along several states of course and some more than just a night.

Anyways as I've stated I'm already working with my dealership on this and I have a scheduled appointment next Tuesday to bring my vehicle in and keep it with them for a day to see if they can make it happen on their watch. Like I've mentioned no lights come on and after it happened the 2nd time I went to the dealership to pick up some items and while I was there I brought up the concern, and they hooked up a reader to see if they saw any error codes etc..and saw none. So I'm hoping and praying that they find something this time. I have even offered to stay with them for a couple hours and show them how I drive and try to make the issue happen again....so we'll see what they say.

I wanted to get this out there to make everyone aware as well as to see if anyone else were having similar issues with their 2013 or 2014 Explorer Sport. I pray that a solution is found prior to hitting the road trip.

Thanks!

Edited by MikeyD

I will thanks for that info. Was it a specific year on the EB F150? Thank yoU!

Update - Just called the dealer and spoke to the Shop manager and I told him to look into that issue. He says he certainly will, but that the issue happened on the Diesel motors more and it was in extreme cold/humid areas, which with me living in Northern California (Near Sacramento) we really don't have either climate.

Edited by MikeyD

I also remember seeing something about a bad coil pack which caused the same things you're seeing. I'll link a very long winded post for you. I know it's a F-150 forum, but it may help you and your dealer.

why is it not allowing me to copy/paste a link?

Fordman, I'm trying to paste the sticky on the www.f150forum.com under the 2009-2014 section that says 5.0 shuddering and EB engine miss & loss of power.

Edited by Hydro

@MikeyD - Try posting here.. I'm a member there as I have a 2011 Explorer Limited and everyone is extremely helpful. Not trying to have you go elsewhere for help but that forum is specific for the 11-14 Explorers.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=152

And in the 3 years I've been a member there, I don't recall anyone mentioning the condensation issue with the intercooler on the explorers.

Edited by blwnsmoke

And in the 3 years I've been a member there, I don't recall anyone mentioning the condensation issue with the intercooler on the explorers.

Sounds like the 'condensation in the intercooler' issue that the EB F150 has had. Tell the dealer to reference that and see if the issue is related. I'm betting it is.

There hasn't been any reports of intercooler issues with the traversely mounted 3.5L Ecoboost engines.

Another forum to try is ecoboostperformanceforum.com

I hang out over there once in a while...I have a '13 SHO and haven't had any problems like your describing.

There hasn't been any reports of intercooler issues with the traversely mounted 3.5L Ecoboost engines.

Another forum to try is ecoboostperformanceforum.com

I hang out over there once in a while...I have a '13 SHO and haven't had any problems like your describing.

Just because there have been no reports doesn't mean this isn't the first. :)

If very well may not be the issue, but it is something to look into since the issue was prevalent with the F150 early on. If there are other issues causing the same issue, it would be wise to look there first.

I will definintley bring all these concerns up to my dealer, I just hope I have enough time between them hopefully finding something and resolving it and me having enough time to test it prior to my road trip.

Let me ask you guys this - If I'm not feeling confident that the issue is resolved etc...will Ford give me a loaner Explorer Sport or ???

I will definintley bring all these concerns up to my dealer, I just hope I have enough time between them hopefully finding something and resolving it and me having enough time to test it prior to my road trip.

Let me ask you guys this - If I'm not feeling confident that the issue is resolved etc...will Ford give me a loaner Explorer Sport or ???

Worse comes to worst, there's always the Lemon Law.

How does the Lemon Law work exactly? I do have a friend who owns a BMW Z4 and a couple years ago after he took it in the 3rd or 4th time for similar issues, they gave him his entire money back that he paid for his car, all the money he spent on upgrades, all the money he spent on oil changes, tire rotations etc...and all taxes. He turned around and bought another Z4....I couldn't believe it that they gave him all that back! I think he had like 17k or 20k on the vehicle.

All - I just filed a complaint with on the NHTSA website. My complaint # 10576912 will be available to view withing 72 hours. I want to make sure enough attention is brought to this as I view it as a serious concern that can kill someone or a family....especially since I have 2 small girls. I've just been lucky this entire time that no cars we coming up behind me when changing lanes and that I was able to make the lane cutoff before it went from 2 to 1 lane and not had a accident with the other vehicle.

All just wanted to update all that I just go off the phone with Bradley from Ford Corporate Customer Service and opened up a case with him. It is Ford Reference # CAS-4217507 . I explained to him everything that has happened and I forgot to mention in here that the first time all this started happening was at around 1400-1700 miles on the vehicle.

I told the Ford Rep. that I already had a appointment scheduled for next Tuesday 4/8/2014 with the Ford dealership where I purchased the vehicle. He said that after I get the vehicle back from the dealership and they tell me there is nothing they can find or they cannot repeat the problem, to give Ford Customer Service a call back and give them the reference number to let them know so that they can escalate it to Management.

I'm glad they were professional and on it so far. Next step is to see how long this takes to resolve and how professional Ford remains during the entire process :) Then I will know for sure if I made the right decision to switch :)

All,

So first off I finally got our 2014 Ford Explorer Sport on Jan. 26, 2014 after ordering it on Black Friday. It's been one of the best cars as far as ride quality, comfort/amenities that I've owned in a long time....oh and did I mention it's a BLAST to drive. All this from a guy who is 36 years old and has owned 5 new GM trucks and a Yukon Denali in my life and at one point swore up and down that I would never buy a FORD :) But I do hope that the below issue I'm going to tell you about is fully resolved by my dealer and Ford to keep my trust in this company.

BTW I now have 3500 miles on my vehicle.

So I have some major concerns with some issues that I've been having lately. I wanted to bring it up here, because it's not a known issue, my dealer hasn't heard of it and I don't get ANY lights that come on when this happens.

So here's the problem.

About a month after owning it, I was travelling on the Highway....I was traveling about about 60mph ....I signaled to get over and gave it gas to speed up moderately to about 75mph or so. When I pressed on the gas the car basically almost stalled on me...it wasn't a transmission trying to think which gear to shift into issue, it was a straight choking of the gas and stuttering/hesitating until I let off the gas 2 times or so and then press down on the gas again and it takes off, but it a noticeable lose of power.

This has happened now 4 times with this past weekend 3/30/2014 being the most recent. However the highway speed was the only high speed incident. The other 3 times that it occured were all in town, on one of them I was making a simple u-turn from a stop and when I pressed the gas (not heavily) to get up and out of the turn it stalled. The other time was passing to another lane and giving it some gas to speed up.

This past Sunday I was travelling on a 2 lane road then changes to a 1 lane road approx. 100 yards after the stop lights. I was stopped behind a vehicle and when we started moving the vehicle in front was only going about 20-25mph in a 45mph zone. So I signaled and saw a van in the lane about 100 yards back so I pressed on the gas to get some speed to pass him before the lane ended and again nothing crazy just to get up to 45-50mph or so and the darn thing stalled on me again!!!

This is now becoming a HUGE concern for me as I have 2 young daughters and a wife to worry about and I need a car that I'm confident in driving and need to know the power is on tap when needed to pass someone or to get out of the way if needed (like crossing a busy road where cross-traffic doesn't stop). Also the big concern I have now is that the family and I are planning on a cross-country road trip this summer from May 24-June 10 and we will be driving from Northern California to Niagra Falls and back stopping along several states of course and some more than just a night.

Anyways as I've stated I'm already working with my dealership on this and I have a scheduled appointment next Tuesday to bring my vehicle in and keep it with them for a day to see if they can make it happen on their watch. Like I've mentioned no lights come on and after it happened the 2nd time I went to the dealership to pick up some items and while I was there I brought up the concern, and they hooked up a reader to see if they saw any error codes etc..and saw none. So I'm hoping and praying that they find something this time. I have even offered to stay with them for a couple hours and show them how I drive and try to make the issue happen again....so we'll see what they say.

I wanted to get this out there to make everyone aware as well as to see if anyone else were having similar issues with their 2013 or 2014 Explorer Sport. I pray that a solution is found prior to hitting the road trip.

Thanks!

Richard, how many sensors on the TPS? Could this be a conflict of two sensors not sending the same data on the position of the throttle?

Nowadays nothing surprises me. Being only 36 I remember how good customer service use to be it seems like almost every place you go nowadays people hate their jobs and hate dealing with people even more. Like I mentioned before, I've been a GM guy all my life...GM isn't what it use to be.....this is why I went looking elsewhere and gave Ford a try.....so we will see in the end how well a single customer like myself is dealt with. Even now with this issue I'm still glad I got the explorer :) but this is all still new being in it for only 3 months now.

IMO, you really jumped the gun. Why file a complaint with the NHTSA?? You haven't even had Ford look at it yet besides scanning codes.

Why not give Ford the opportunity to try to fix the problem before filing formal complaints?

That's like filing a BBB complaint on a product without telling the company you have an issue with them.

I would hate to deal with someone like that.. and I have a wife and 2 young daughters too.

Edited by blwnsmoke

Complaint to NHTSA doesn't work like that. I was concerned about that as well. All it does is put it on NHTSA's radar and they monitor any further complaints that come in that complain about the same or similar issues and if they see it is a problem, then they begin the investigation. This is for EVERYONE's safety and like someone mentioned before, just because you haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it's NOT a issue. After my major car accident in 2007 I'm a lot more cautious. This is NOTHING against Ford as they have been great so far, this is just to start a record so that if someone else puts in the problem, they aren't the only one. This information was given to me by Beth at NHTSA.

BTW....I'm actually really easy going and giving them all the time they need and handing over the car on Tuesday for them to look at it as long as they need, and to be honest I've been friendly/patient if anything. I work at home so needing a car isn't a issue....what is a issue is knowing that a problem exists and I just want it repaired prior to my long family trip.