New in bed tow options

Question for 2014/15 (& maybe 2013) SD owners with factory underbed hitch prep:

I have a B&W turnover ball on my '06, with the newer 20K lb B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch. I really like the locking ball handle in the left rear wheel well, to easily remove the ball. (That feature may be their patent?)

Do the new trucks with factory tow-prep option have the gooseneck ball bolted into this crossframe member under the bed? In other words, do we have to crawl under truck to un-bolt ball to remove it when not in use?

The stronger factory hitches seem to be made by Reese. If ordering all 3 (under bed prep), 5th & goose hitches, very $, around $2000.

• 4 weeks later...

The Ford factory option gooseneck ball has a built in locking T shaped lever right into the top of the ball, you simply pull up on the lever rotate 90 degrees and lift the ball right out of its socket. To put it back in you set the ball into the socket turn the lever it usually snaps down locking itself into place. I have had this on my 2011 SD right from Ford and it is very easy and simple. If there is any downside it is that if you have dirty grease built up around the lever you have to push it into place, so brushing out the crud and applying new grease from time to time is a must but easy to do.

I just sold my 2011 F350 and ordered a 2015 F450 SD and its the same design except the regular ball for F350 / 250 is 18K rated and the F450 ball is rated for 26.5K you can see the details from the order codes with descriptions posted in this section by ice-capades who have been very helpful.

Edited by JACKAL_SOF

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks gents for the replies.

I was concerned about delays & not getting my new truck in time (perhaps prudent seeing some others delay frustrations) for vacation, so instead of custom ordering, or hoping to get a F450 in time, I continually cruised Fords site looking at dealer stock windows stickers, & found one close enough to the options I wanted (& was near enough to me,) laid down my hard earned green, & took a 2015 F350 dually home! Now it sits by my '06 to be sold later.

So, I have time now to make a few mods. I did purchase Ford/Reese's goose ball & chain anchors after truck sale so looks like they will work for me. Didn't realize anchors have a piece that prevents rotation by the chain hooks, but glad that is incorporated.

Now I have just ordered the B&W Companion base that works with the 5th wheel head (coupler) I already have, & the Ford/Reese under-bed Elite puck mount crossmember. I intend to mod the base as well, drilling out the handle retainer pin holes to fit 2 padlocks to prevent it from walking off. If you are familiar with the Companion 3000 base (that works with their turn-over ball), this one is a little more than a foot shorter (front to aft) giving me more precious bed space, & also eliminates the need to torque a bolt after installing every time.

I have talked to B&W about increasing their weight rating from 20K since they confirmed it is the exact same coupler as the flatbed (22K) & Ram one (rated at 25K), but different bases. The one 3000 model I have was upped from 18K to 20K which is the minimum I need. We will see.

Interesting looking at crossmember from below the bed, they decided to make part of it thinner for more exhaust pipe clearance.

I just sold my 2011 F350 and ordered a 2015 F450 SD and its the same design except the regular ball for F350 / 250 is 18K rated and the F450 ball is rated for 26.5K you can see the details from the order codes with descriptions posted in this section by ice-capades who have been very helpful.

Jackal,

I have seen some 3" goose balls advertised. Do you know if the 26.5K is a 3" or regular 2 & 5/16"?

From what REESE has on their site their 2 5/16" ball is 26.5k rated and they offer the 3" ball rated at 30k. However they have multiple weight ratings on the same size gooseneck balls even with different part numbers. If you want a higher weight rating lookup the different ones on the REESE website and get the size and weight rating you want. The base is all the same and will drop into the Ford factory in bed adapter.