Hot Temperatures and Battery Charge/Efficiency

transitman

I've been interested and researching the Energi since it was introduced and because the high today was 3 degrees, I didn't leave the house and I've been thinking about it. My plan is to purchase one in 3-4 years when I retire and move to the Phoenix area. I'm hoping that a smaller battery pack will be developed by then, because one minor drawback for me is the reduced cargo volume. Anyway, my question is to anyone in the southwest hot climate, how does it perform in the AZ/NM/NV summer heat? My concerns are battery temperature and keeping it in the 78 degree optimum performance range, reduced electric range due to the heat, interior a/c performance and battery life, which probably can't be answered yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I would think you will be ok because the car has a climate control system that can heat and cool the battery.

The C-Max or the Energi and even the Fusion Hybrid or Energi does not have a climate control that can heat or cool the battery. If the cabin HVAC is on, the battery draws air from the cabin. When the battery temperature gets to 113F, the Energi will not operate in EV. Driving in EV or charging in 92F outside temperature, the battery will get over 113F without preconditioning the cabin and running the cabin A/C at a 73F cabin temperature while driving.

Gary

Transitman, here's some anecdotal info that might be helpful: http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-aaa-electric-vehicle-range-20140320,0,3522803.story#ixzz2wWphMXOq

The article focuses on cold temps, but includes info on high temp conditions:

The average EV battery range in AAA’s test was 105 miles at 75 degrees but dropped 57% to just 43 miles at 20 degrees. Heat also sliced the cars' ranges but by not as much: The cars averaged 69 miles per full charge at 95 degrees, 33% less than in 75-degree weather.

The tests were conducted on full EV's, but the results should apply to the Energi as well.

• Like 1