Had rear shocks replaced, clunk still there

Dave H

So, I had the rear shocks replaced per TSB 13-7-2, and my clunking in the rear is still there. Sounds like it is coming from the right rear of the vehicle. Gets worse the colder it gets. Can anyone tell me what else is mounted in that area of the vehicle (hidden) that might be causing this? I know I am kind of fishing with this, but I am thinking anything mounted inside the body panel near there, fuel filler pipe, rear window washer pump, etc. Whatever is over there.....

I had both rear shocks replaced two weeks ago. The clunk and creaking noise from the right rear is as bad or worse than before the TSB was carried out. There is no doubt that extreme cold brings out the problem in spades. It sure sounds like a bad shock to me, but it could be something else. I am getting tired of leaving this car at the dealer for TSBs and recalls. They never seem to have the parts in stock and usually want the car over night. While they are happy to offer a free loaner it is all becoming a PIA.

Edited by DaveTaylor

I had both rear shocks replaced two weeks ago. The clunk and creaking noise from the right rear is as bad or worse than before the TSB was carried out. There is no doubt that extreme cold brings out the problem in spades. It sure sounds like a bad shock to me, but it could be something else. I am getting tired of leaving this car at the dealer for TSBs and recalls. They never seem to have the parts in stock and usually want the car over night. While they are happy to offer a free loaner it is all becoming a PIA.

I agree with ya. PIA for all the TSB's that don't work and now, another recall. And no satisfaction from the dealer. I am ready to skip the dealer altogether and go directly to Ford. If that doesn't work, maybe the state attorney general's office. I don't know. Anyplace that I can get some satisfaction, even if all that turns out to be is a load of bad press for the dealer and Ford. This is NOT the way warranty is supposed to work.

Does anybody from Ford monitor this forum? Or do they just not care?

Edited by Dave H

• 2 months later...

I agree with ya. PIA for all the TSB's that don't work and now, another recall. And no satisfaction from the dealer. I am ready to skip the dealer altogether and go directly to Ford. If that doesn't work, maybe the state attorney general's office. I don't know. Anyplace that I can get some satisfaction, even if all that turns out to be is a load of bad press for the dealer and Ford. This is NOT the way warranty is supposed to work.

Does anybody from Ford monitor this forum? Or do they just not care?

Well, here it is April 6, 2014. Contacted Ford regional customer care (???), and they acknowledged the right rear clunking and the front end clunking during what they called "parking type maneuvers" are known issues with these vehicles. And to this date, nothing has been done to help remedy those things. And I mean nothing. Dealer was supposed to get my vehicle into the body shop to have them try to stop the rattling dash issue. That was 6 weeks ago. I haven't heard a peep from them. The regional customer care rep. also hasn't been heard from in 6 weeks despite my leaving her a couple of voicemails asking her to call me. She promised to "stay on top of this" for me.

I will walk in unannounced on the dealer soon and see what their response is. Maybe one more call to regional. Then if nothing, I guess my only option is a legal one, if even that exists!