Next generation Super Duty

mizzitch

Actually if you tow the rear camera is great for hitching up to my bumper pull trailers. I think the new F150 has 360 degree views with the camera hope that it shows the bed so that I can hitch my gooseneck easier.

I like the large screen for the Nav system as I use the gps often. I don't listen to satellite radio- bring back multiple disc CD changers too.

As far as I am concerned dump the solid front axle, most don't need it unless you have a heavy snow plow. Most don't go off road in rough enough conditions to warrant it either.

I did like the option of manual locking hubs on my SD's just in case the system failed. I wish my F150 had this feature.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

#1 Like to see a side step so if the tail gate is not accessable then I can still get into the bed of the truck or reach something in the tool box

#2 Factory optionto add better backup lights..

#3 Option to move the backup camarea to the rear of the cab to help when hocking up 5th weel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The only way Ford will ever get these trucks to handle halfway decent and get rid of the bump steer/shimmy issue permanently would be with IFS. So, the question basically is are Super Duty buyers willing to put up with these shortcomings in order to keep the SFA? If Ford does decide to keep the SFA, I would like to see higher capacity front wheel bearings and outer U-joints along with better quality ball joints. Front end rebuilds at less than 60,000 miles are far to common.

I agree. Ford needs to dump the solid front axle at least for the F250. This would let the RVer's and others that don't need the SFA have a smooth ride with good steering characteristics. The IFS on the Chevy has the SFA of the Ford beat hands down. I have had two F250's (2005 and 2013) both had the identical steering issues. If I have the need for another 3/4 ton I will be moving over to the Chevy just for the IFS. I have been with Ford since '79 and hate to leave but if Ford can't fix the steering issues or add IFS I have no other option but to jump over to the Chevy

The only way Ford will ever get these trucks to handle halfway decent and get rid of the bump steer/shimmy issue permanently would be with IFS. So, the question basically is are Super Duty buyers willing to put up with these shortcomings in order to keep the SFA? If Ford does decide to keep the SFA, I would like to see higher capacity front wheel bearings and outer U-joints along with better quality ball joints. Front end rebuilds at less than 60,000 miles are far to common.

Agreed, there are aftermarket solutions for most of these problems, albeit for mucho dinero. A least Ford ditched the Dana 50 (which wasnt that bad) for the 60. The shimmy could probably be rectified if Ford would upgrade the steering stabilizer. I dont think well see an IFS anytime soon, believe it or not its a major selling point.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to see Ford improve on the brakes and rotors. (Larger,ceramic,drill & slotted). Brakes they use now make a whole lot of dust :banghead: , which if not cleaned regularly will ruin the finish on the rims. And it makes the truck look bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey!

I have to agree with Ford Truck Guy! There isn't much I would change! I have driven these SD trucks hard and they have stood up to the beatings! Dodge and GM could not compare!

Aside from that!? Let's keep this as a truck! Keep it tough! If changing to IFS reduces one thing but weakens another!? Not for it! I don't feel the bump steer issues.

What would I like to see as little changes? I like he Dodge storage solution in the box integrated in the fender panels. I would like to see a better back seat configuration. Seats that fold down flat with storage compartments makes sense. An external spin on filter on the transmission, LED lights, EZ tailgate assist, an oil life and fuel filter life expressed as a percentage, a larger air filter intake on diesel powerstroke, high idle.

Those are minor. Just a wish list! Lol

2 minor things that are really annoying a new F-550/6.7 that I have at work. First, I wish the manual shift toggle would allow me to select all 6 gears. There is no logic to the way it works. It only allows you to manually shift the first 3 gears but does not allow the transmission to shift automatically. The manual shift on the GM HD's, both Allison and 6L90 allows you to not only select any of the 6 gears when you want to, it also allows you to limit upshifts. So, if you are towing in a hilly area you can select gears 1 through 3 or 4, and the transmission won't shift into the higher gears. This is exactly how the large Allisons work in heavy trucks. Put the GM transmission in '3', and it shifts from 1 to 3. Put the Ford in '3' and it starts and stays in 3. No way to keep the Ford from trying to shift into 5 or 6 if you don't want it to. Second issue is the instruments. Why on earth does Ford want me to know the boost pressure, but not how much DEF I have until I get close to running out? I can't control the boost pressure (unless I run the engine faster) and the ECM limits it anyway. That gauge is only there for morons who think it's 'cool'. Useless information.

Edited by 7Mary3

Do you have the 5 speed or 6 speed with or without selectshift? Do you have the +/- buttons on the stalk in addition to the M selector?

If you have selectshift you can manually select any gear 1-6. What you're describing is non selectshift behavior. The benefit to being able to start in 2nd or 3rd gear from a stop is to help with traction.

If you use M then you should have manual control of all 6 gears with the +/- buttons just like any other vehicle.

If you're in D you can use the +/- buttons to lock out certain gears. If you're in D and hit the - button 3 times it locks out 4-6 and it will shift automatically from 1 to 3. Hitting + then changes it to 1-4.

Maybe you locked out 4-6 in D mode and that carried over to M mode. Go back to D and hit + until all 6 gears show available, then try M again.

Also make sure you're not in tow/haul mode or overdrive off.

Bingo! That's the way it works. Have to be in 'D', not 'M'. Thanks for that. I only read the section in the owner's manual about the non-Select-Shift 6 speed (BTW- what truck gets that transmission?) which for some reason also has an 'M' position on the shifter. The Select-Shift information was on the next page.