Next generation Super Duty

mizzitch

Any future buyers of Super Duty's please add a post for items you would like to see on the next gen trucks- (obviously the 2015 trucks are not the next generation, but just a slight refresh).

Here is the list I have so far:

1. The NHTSA does not crash test these trucks, but many of the people that buy them are very interested in safety for there family. The cab structure needs strengthening to support a 8000 pound plus truck in a roll-over. Ford should independently test the crash performance of the Super Duty and be able to market using a commercial similar to the Mercedes showing the rollover test.

more to come...

For me:

1. IFS, at least as an option on the F250.
  2. EB V8 available. I would ditch my diesel for one.
  3. HIDs
  4. Lights under the rail in the bed.
  5. A complete new design! I know the truck has seen changes every few years, but I would like to see something all-new with the body.

Most everything else I wish my '08 had is already available on the current models.

My list of wants/requirements for the next gen Super Duty are:

1. Solid Front Axle must stay or I will buy a Dodge.

2. Larger Gas motor option (7.0?) or bring the V10 back.

3. Manual Transfer Case available on Lariat trims again.

4. No fancy stop start junk or new complex technology to increase MPG, Keep that to the F150 and leave SD as a true truck.

5. Door pockets in the rear door, My 02 had these but somehow 12 does not.

6. Sport package offered with body colored bumpers and trim.

Overall I still like the current platform but it is getting a bit long in tooth, I hope Ford leaves the SD as a real truck with the F150 available for those prefer more car like features. (Dodge has been doing this with their HD's, not many people buy a HD truck care about fuel mileage).

I hope Ford leaves the SD as a real truck with the F150 available for those prefer more car like features. (Dodge has been doing this with their HD's, not many people buy a HD truck care about fuel mileage).

Tell that to the hot-shotters driving 100k miles/year who would LOVE to see an extra 1 or 2 MPG out of their trucks or a few more car-like features to make the 50 hours / week they spend in their trucks more enjoyable.

Edited by fordmantpw
  • Like 1

IFS.

I am about ready to buy a new Dodge due to the solid front axle in the current Super Duty. My 05 SD had the "death wobble" and my 2013 wasn't any better. Every single bump or imperfection in the road is felt in the steering wheel as a jerking movement. I kept the '13 SD for three months and traded it for a '13 F150.

I need another heavy duty truck within a year or so and for the first time in 35 years as a Ford owner am considering the Dodge due to the front end design.

The solid front axle of the 4wd and twin I -beam on the 2wd are both in dire need of a make over.

• Like 1

The common jerk of the wheel when hitting a bump is due to the horrible factory stabilizer, a nice rancho or like stabilizer takes care of that. There were some death wobble issues with the 05-07's but I have yet to hear of any since then.

The Dodge front suspension design is the same as the Ford's just with a smaller axle (Dana 50) with GM being the only manufacturer installing a Buicks front suspension in a Heavy Duty truck.

I have no specifics on the next generation Super Duty, except that it is rumored to be introduced as a 2017 model in late 2016. There are also rumors that some controversial changes are being planned, but no idea what they could be.

Some guesses on my part: Say goodbye to Twin-I-Beam (finally!). The V-10 is not coming back. Gas engines larger than 6.2L are unlikely as the government is phasing in CAFE for large pickups. Boxed frame rails.

We'll see how good my chrystal ball is!

I found a guys resume online. It show's what engines he is working on for upcoming SD models. It appears the 6.2 and 6.8 aren't going anywhere.

Ryan Barr's Projects
2016 Heavy Duty - 6.7L & 6.8L (F650, F750)
October 2011 to Present
Team Members: Ryan Barr
2017 Super Duty - 6.2L & 6.7L (F250-F550)
September 2012 to Present
2013 Super Duty - 6.2L & 6.7L (F250-F550)
October 2011 to October 2012

I think at this point it would be rather difficult for Ford to drop the V10 as it seems to be gaining popularity in the 450's and 550's, the 6.2 is not enough motor for those trucks either. I had thought there were some rumors of a 7.0 liter version of the Boss at some point?

I hope none of the controversial changes include Independent Front Suspension as I don't feel like buying a Dodge, Regarding a boxed frame, I had though the latest rumors had the 15 F150 going back to C Channel? C Channel on the Super Duty would also require a separate frame for Chassis Cabs.

Interesting...... From what I understand, the 2016 F-650 and 750 are going to be the last year of the current versions, likely with very few changes. After that???

F-150 is going back to a C-channel frame, possibly due to weight reduction?

Remember that both GM and Ram use boxed frames on their HD pickups, but do offer C-channel frames on certain HD chassis-cab models.

Interesting the V-10 seems to continue in the next gen. Super Duty, though I suspect it will only be available in the 450 and 550, as it currently is.

From the NYT Today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/12/automobiles/autoshow/the-f-150s-aluminum-diet.html?hpw&rref=automobiles

"The new F-150 is Ford’s first step in a broad strategy to shift all of its full-size truck bodies, including the F-250 and F-350 Super Duty pickups and the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator S.U.V.’s, to primarily aluminum construction over the next three years, Ford engineers said. The plan will create common manufacturing processes and tooling in Ford’s three United States truck plants."

I don't like the idea of this and will most definitely not be buying an Aluminum bodied Super Duty.

Also it appears from internet chatter that 2016 will be the last of the current platform with 17 all new.

From the NYT Today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/12/automobiles/autoshow/the-f-150s-aluminum-diet.html?hpw&rref=automobiles

"The new F-150 is Ford’s first step in a broad strategy to shift all of its full-size truck bodies, including the F-250 and F-350 Super Duty pickups and the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator S.U.V.’s, to primarily aluminum construction over the next three years, Ford engineers said. The plan will create common manufacturing processes and tooling in Ford’s three United States truck plants."

I don't like the idea of this and will most definitely not be buying an Aluminum bodied Super Duty.

Also it appears from internet chatter that 2016 will be the last of the current platform with 17 all new.

What exactly is wrong with an Al bodied Super Duty? Seriously. Al can be just as strong, if not stronger, that steel for body panels. Do your research and don't be a nay sayer, just because something is different.

• Like 1

One rumor I heard some time ago, but not lately, was that the Super Duty would merge back with the F-150, at least the body. Basically that is what GM and Ram do, LH and HD share bodies but are basically different trucks underneath.

After seeing the new F150, as long as the Super Duty gets all the creature comforts of the F150, I could live with that. But, will the 6.7L diesel fit in that snout? If not, you've got to completely rework things to make it fit, and if you do that, are you really saving any $$$? The next 3-4 years are going to be fun to watch for Ford trucks. Merging F150 and Expedition/Navigator, the new Super Duty reported to be coming in 2-3 years.

After seeing the new F150, as long as the Super Duty gets all the creature comforts of the F150, I could live with that. But, will the 6.7L diesel fit in that snout? If not, you've got to completely rework things to make it fit, and if you do that, are you really saving any $$$? The next 3-4 years are going to be fun to watch for Ford trucks. Merging F150 and Expedition/Navigator, the new Super Duty reported to be coming in 2-3 years.

If I were to guess, assuming Ford decides to use the same cab, it'll just be the cab and doors. I'd bet the front fenders and whole front end would be different. But that's just my Stupid Wild Arse Guess (SWAG).

If I were to guess, assuming Ford decides to use the same cab, it'll just be the cab and doors. I'd bet the front fenders and whole front end would be different. But that's just my Stupid Wild Arse Guess (SWAG).

I could see that. Bed could be the same too. They made the F150 a tad wider, so it's probably right in line with Super Duty in size now.

I could see that. Bed could be the same too. They made the F150 a tad wider, so it's probably right in line with Super Duty in size now.

They already were within an inch so its likely that the new F150 is actually wider, however there is no where near as much cab room in the existing or the new F150 due to height of the cab.

I think Ford would be very wise to leave the Super Duty more traditional for those of us that don't really have any interest in a lot of the new technology being used on the F150. I think the Heavy Duty market is a lot more traditional than half tons.

Edited by 94bronco

One rumor I heard some time ago, but not lately, was that the Super Duty would merge back with the F-150, at least the body. Basically that is what GM and Ram do, LH and HD share bodies but are basically different trucks underneath.

Could we really see Ford going back to a smaller truck in several dimensional measures? I actually won't be terribly surprised if the 2017 "redesign" is a continuation of the current platform for a few more years.

I would not even be sure the the floorpan and firewall of the F150 can accommodate the 6.7 and torqshift without some major rework, along with fitting a Dana 60 underneath the front which I assume they will continue on with.

I think Ford would be very wise to leave the Super Duty more traditional for those of us that don't really have any interest in a lot of the new technology being used on the F150. I think the Heavy Duty market is a lot more traditional than half tons.

So, they should leave the truck old and archaic for the minority of buyers? I'm sure there are plenty of buyers who would LOVE the technology, and would just go to someone else that does have it! Have you seen how many Super Duty trucks are sold in Lariat trim? How many have My Ford Touch? Platinums?

If you don't like technology, you better buy your vehicle now, cause technology isn't going away.

Unless of course you are talking about the cameras, auto-park, yada, yada. That stuff isn't standard, and you know that. Just buy your XL work truck and be happy if you don't want that fancy stuff.

So, they should leave the truck old and archaic for the minority of buyers? I'm sure there are plenty of buyers who would LOVE the technology, and would just go to someone else that does have it! Have you seen how many Super Duty trucks are sold in Lariat trim? How many have My Ford Touch? Platinums?

If you don't like technology, you better buy your vehicle now, cause technology isn't going away.

Unless of course you are talking about the cameras, auto-park, yada, yada. That stuff isn't standard, and you know that. Just buy your XL work truck and be happy if you don't want that fancy stuff.

Actually I have a Lariat and yes I did order a base Lariat with three options (Upfitter switches, Roof Lights, and Locker) just to avoid too much electronic useless crap like rear view cameras. What I mean by traditional truck is a Solid Front Axle, C Channel frame that won't rot out like boxed frames do up here, and a big simple V8 that will hum along forever and ever. I don't want stop/start, smaller turbo motors,aluminum body panels, IFS, or a lighter truck, I want a truck built how they all were up until 15-20 years ago which the Super Duty formula still follows as of now.

And actually I will order another one in 2016 just so I can hold off on all this stuff I don't want for a while longer.