2008 Edge Slipping Transmission

Altview

2008 Edge SE , 3.5L, auto transmission.

At approximately 90,000 miles I've noticed an occasional transmission slip between gears when accelerating on a cold engine, I can feel it and the tach will spike a bit.

Is this the start of a more serious issue and a pending major transmission repair or a minor issue?

Should I take it in to the dealer or can I expect the usual "can't recreate the issue" result?

I'm a little paranoid as I had to replace a transmission on my last vehicle, a 2004 Explorer with 65,000 miles on it on my dime. Thanks.

The 6F50 has been a relatively problem free transmission, though there are some issues with the early ones, most of which are relatively cheap to fix. And yes, intermittent diagnostics can be a terrible pain in the butt for the customer and the tech.

First, does it have the latest PCM calibration installed? There are a host of trans improvements in the latest, from what the original was. There is absolutely no point in fighting a software issue by performing surgery.

Second, in 08's the TSS and OSS sensors have a nasty habit of causing shift issues when cold. These are inside the front cover and involve the removal of the valve body. While there, it is also a good idea to install a new Manual Lever Position Sensor, especially on early builds as they can cause issues and require minimal time to replace once the valvebody has been removed. This will also require fluid as removal of the valvebody drains most of it.

Again, before spending a lot on deep surgery, I'd reprogram the PCM to the latest level see if that makes an improvement, then replace the sensors that I described. Typically, most dealers will reprogram a PCM for an hour's labor. Labor for replacement of the sensors is in the 4.0 to 5.0 hour range.

Nothing has been done to the car except scheduled maintenance, no PCM calibrations or any other updates. Not very mechanical so to confirm your first suggestion would be to take to the dealer and ask for the latest transmission PCM calibration to see if that does the trick?

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks,

My wife has a 2009 Edge Limited with 50,000 miles on it and we were wondering if it was a more serious problem. I will check the PCM on the car and make sure that it is updated with the latest software fix and do the maf sensor clean. I havn't been on these boards in several years since My plant in Atlanta shut down. We still have all Fords even though I work elswhere.

My Bad,

I should have included the symptoms, She was getting a quick upshift then downshift from when she is in the 1500 RPM range. You would feel it quickly shift. I told her that the shift points must be in that area and it is trying to find the most efficient. I will have the PCm checked and the MAF cleaned though.

I thank y'all for your time

Bob

• 1 month later...

Anyone with the appropriate programming device and access to motorcraft.com can reprogram PCM's. There are several other places that the calibrations can be had, but a forewarning, the dealer is the only place that will have the absolute latest. It takes several weeks to filter down to the aftermarket level, for independants and such.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a 2008 Edge Limited FWD with 140,000 miles. I am experiencing a slight "bump" when under slight acceleration around 40-60 mph. Usually going up a slight incline. It feels like it wants to downshift from overdrive, but doesn't. I just had the trans flushed about 5000 miles ago (second time). Any thoughts if this is a major problem or just maybe a something minor (hopefully) otherwise it drives great.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance...