Next-Generation Ford F-150 Delayed By Nearly Three Months Due To Aluminum Issues

Maybe I missed this elsewhere.

Next-Generation Ford F-150 Delayed By Nearly Three Months Due To Aluminum Issues

Not really concerned about the delay (so long as they get it right)), but what did catch my eye was this.....

Ford will have already blown their Memorial Day launch target, with the new F-150 said to be late availability in 2014, with Ford’s Kansas City plant said to be cranking out current generation trucks, which will now feature a frame that is one full gauge thinner on “non-tow” models.

Not sure what to make of that. One truck, two different frames?

While that is interesting, that's also a sorta WTF. I mean, I like getting the towing package for the increased cooling, along with factory run wiring and a hitch that I can use to mount...well, whatever I can mount on that hitch.

So this means that if I want a V-6 (or whatever will be offered as the FE engine choice) in an F-150, with a hitch, I can't get the more FE frame? That will blow if true...

Consider the source...

TTAC is basically an auto version of worldnetdaily. Their "source" is either completely fictional or someone that is more familiar with tinfoil hat than aluminum.

I too take it with a grain of salt, but i wouldnt doubt Ford will experience some hurdles as such....

While that is interesting, that's also a sorta WTF. I mean, I like getting the towing package for the increased cooling, along with factory run wiring and a hitch that I can use to mount...well, whatever I can mount on that hitch.

So this means that if I want a V-6 (or whatever will be offered as the FE engine choice) in an F-150, with a hitch, I can't get the more FE frame? That will blow if true...

dis-agree, i bet the frames will match perfectly to their needs, capacities and capabilities....

Edited by Deanh

Here's my issue with their claim:

They assert that current generation trucks will be getting two different frames.

I cannot imagine that the current frame will be the same as the next frame, therefore this is not an instance of the current truck getting one of the 'features' of the next truck ahead of time.

Secondly, I cannot imagine that Ford would implement a change like this on a lame-duck model that, originally, was scheduled to have a short model year.

Regarding the claim of a lighter weight frame for a non-tow model?

It seems credible. I could see Ford opting for a lighter gauge for certain models, as the frame is not what changes between the various payload & tow ratings. Placing a frame capable of towing 12,000lbs under a vehicle rated for 5,000 seems like absurd overengineering.

• Like 3

Consider the source...

TTAC is basically an auto version of worldnetdaily. Their "source" is either completely fictional or someone that is more familiar with tinfoil hat than aluminum.

hmmm

since "tinfoil" actually IS aluminum (afaik)

sounds like TTAC is colluding to create a self-fulfilling prophecy & the delay is all their fault

Maybe I missed this elsewhere.

Not really concerned about the delay (so long as they get it right)), but what did catch my eye was this.....

Not sure what to make of that. One truck, two different frames?

I saw that too. Funny thing is I just took delivery of 3 new 'non-tow' F-150's, and the chassis metal does seem to be thinner than previous F-150's. I have not mic'ed it yet to see for sure. Anyone know if this has started yet? Trucks are Kansas City builds.

BTW- Ford has a long history of making changes to 'lame duck' models!

This sounds suspiciously like someone with big ears caught part of the story and filled in the rest,

this clearly sounds like the first batch of prototypes had issues with stamping and folding due to material quality.

perhaps the worst case scenario is up to 6-10 weeks delay if issues aren't corrected by second prototype build timing...

I'm not saying that's it exactly but maybe Pioneer or someone else can advise the actual state of play...

Edited by jpd80

All that I know is that new press lines were put in for making the aluminum stampings, including some newly designed equipment. Most recent that I have heard is that panels are being stamped and that ramp up will be deliberate. Reasonable given that there is new production equipment, new tooling, new material. Cannot say much more.

Clearly Ford has no experience stamping aluminum body panel. I also seems that the major suppliers do not have much experience producing sheet aluminum with the proper properties.

Not really concerned about the delay (so long as they get it right), ...

This is also a case where there is no "fall back" ! They HAVE to "get it right", or they will be out of business !!

The new Ranger has appeared.

Possibly.

I recently had the chance to take my F-150 on the highway for a trip, and if the computer is to be believed, the reported FE was 27+.

If true (and I can't confirm it because I've been driving on the same tank since I got back to town, so the average has dropped a lot), that is better than anything I ever got with my '93 Ranger. (25-26 was the best I ever got)

The new Ranger has appeared.

I assume you are referring to the speculation of a thinner frame on certain models.

I don't have much of a problem with using a thinner frame on the base V6 models. They might drop the supercrew option for the base engine. It would still have a towing capacity of 5,000 lbs.

It also opens the possibility for a 2.3L EcoBoost model ! 2 door, short bed, flareside ! Add a lowering kit and use 15" rims !!!

1/4 ton F100?

Clearly Ford has no experience stamping aluminum body panel. I also seems that the major suppliers do not have much experience producing sheet aluminum with the proper properties.

My 2000 Lincoln LS had aluminum fenders, hood and trunk. Weren't those stamped?

Edited by akirby
  • Like 1

Does the hood on the current gen F150 count as a body panel? It's been Al since the 2004 model I believe. That amounts to, what, about 4 million or so vehicles, not counting the LS akirby mentioned, and the other Ford products with Al hoods.

• Like 1

Does the hood on the current gen F150 count as a body panel? It's been Al since the 2004 model I believe. That amounts to, what, about 4 million or so vehicles, not counting the LS akirby mentioned, and the other Ford products with Al hoods.

My 2003 SuperCrew has aluminum hood.

dis-agree, i bet the frames will match perfectly to their needs, capacities and capabilities....

As long as if there's a FE frame and a Full Capability frame, than when someone chooses the tow option they can still get the FE frame just with a reduced towing spec I'd be fine with that; and no Class I/II please, Class III would be fine for FE frame w/ tow. That's all I'm saying...