New Lincoln Sedan?

Doubt we'll see any coupes larger than the Mustang for quite awhile. The "personal coupe" has been a dead segment for awhile now.

Um, it seems that M-B, BMW, Audi, Lexus and Infiniti disagree with you, to judge from the number of "personal coupe" models that are available, with new designs like the BMW 4-series "personal coupe" just arriving and the new Jag hardtop "personal coupe" XKF. Now, the US market might be flat, but it's a world-wide market with these manufacturers. :)

Yeah, I don't think the worldwide market is all that great either. These things either run on incredibly long platform life cycles (~20 years for the Lexus), or they use sedan underpinnings (Jag, BMW, MB). Ford doesn't have a RWD sedan that can be abridged into a too heavy coupe (that's the other thing, all these sedan derived luxury coupes are porkers: Jag F-Type? It's 10" shorter than a Mustang and weighs as much as a Mustang)

Lincoln really does need a new sedan. To replace the MKS. FWD, RWD, AWD, it makes no difference. The MKS is dated and below the radar of many buyers.

The MKS replacement should be unveiled before the end of 2014.

As for the other "personal coupes" on the market, they just don't sell in particularly great volumes. Yes, they exist, but they are tangential projects from fully-developed brands. Lincoln still has more important things to worry about than a large coupe that might sell a couple hundred units a month at best.

The MKS replacement should be unveiled before the end of 2014.

As for the other "personal coupes" on the market, they just don't sell in particularly great volumes. Yes, they exist, but they are tangential projects from fully-developed brands. Lincoln still has more important things to worry about than a large coupe CUV (*cough~cough*...MKT) that might sell a couple hundred units a month at best.

There...fixed it for ya....and I like MKT....

• Like 1

The only reason we might see a high performance personal coupe first is if it can be built more quickly and more easily from the mustang platform rather than waiting for a new large sedan platform.

A coupe/convertible MKR with 500+ hp, 8/9 speed tranny and all the Lincoln goodies would be quite the PR machine. But again, only if it doesn't interfere with more mainstream vehicles.

Well consider the difference in development cost and ease for Lincoln to deliver a coupe based on the new Mustang

as opposed to the Cadillac plan of delivering Alpha based ATS and CTS coupes as well as the Volt based ELR coupe.

I'm thinking that Lincoln might see a much better or quicker return on investment, one good coupe with better coverage of

the market that's already engineered for a turbo I-4, V6 and V8...........possibly a hybrid for Lincoln if justification exists....

Edited by jpd80

The MKT simply shouldnt have been, an Explorer based MKT SHOULD have been. The MarKeTs droopy butt, whale face and useless 3rd row seats do not help it's case. It's Lincolns current "Blackwood", I'm just surprised it's ran this long.

It's not the vehicle it was based on that really matters (remember, the Explorer and Flex are based on the same platform). It was the execution that failed miserably, and that droopy ass is what really limits the MKT (IMHO).

It's not the vehicle it was based on that really matters (remember, the Explorer and Flex are based on the same platform). It was the execution that failed miserably, and that droopy ass is what really limits the MKT (IMHO).

I think the Flex already existing may have limited where they could go with the design of the MKT at the time though, even if it did eventually share a platform with the Explorer. I'm thinking the design differences under the skin between Explorer and Flex are probably quite a bit greater than they are between Flex and MKT.

I think the Flex already existing may have limited where they could go with the design of the MKT at the time though, even if it did eventually share a platform with the Explorer. I'm thinking the design differences under the skin between Explorer and Flex are probably quite a bit greater than they are between Flex and MKT.

Definitely, but being based on the Flex is not what kept Lincoln from making a really good MKT. The MKT is a good vehicle, just poorly executed in the design department, which limits it's appeal greatly. The Flex has more legroom in the second row than the Explorer, and is actually a bit longer than the Explorer (IIRC), and those are two qualities that luxury buyers would really like. If the MKT just wasn't so damned homely!