AC bad smell on start up

gdn

Good for you man. I really hope this gains traction. Mold spores, depending on what species, can be very detrimental to your health. If I bought a new car and mold started inhabiting the vents and what not, I'd expect them to replace the vent system.

Do you have a 2013 or 2014 fusion?

I'm starting to think I should hold off for the 2015 Fusion...

2013 ford Fusion SE January Production, They've already replaced all they said they could in this car and the smell is still there came back within days. Another snippet to add was they tried to get us to sign a release for them to be absolved from all responsibilities from the car in past or future health and any wrong doings.

Edited by Mattken Moore

2013 ford Fusion SE January Production, They've already replaced all they said they could in this car and the smell is still there came back within days. Another snippet to add was they tried to get us to sign a release for them to be absolved from all responsibilities from the car in past or future health and any wrong doings.

Woah. Do you know what they replaced? I take it from the word "tried" that you didn't sign anything like that?

Since you have evidence from Pro-Lab (which may or may not be dismissed based on mold spores and the concentration of it-PPM), I would recommend an attorney as a last step. First try a news outlet and see if that gains traction.

• 2 weeks later...

Woah. Do you know what they replaced? I take it from the word "tried" that you didn't sign anything like that?

Since you have evidence from Pro-Lab (which may or may not be dismissed based on mold spores and the concentration of it-PPM), I would recommend an attorney as a last step. First try a news outlet and see if that gains traction.

(without prejudice)

The whole Condenser case and now the smell if getting stronger again. We have noticed it depends on the moisture outside like the past few days was raining and snowing at a temperature between 1 and 5 Celsius also to how long the car is running depends on how strong the car smells... So Somewhere there is a cause and when moisture gets there it gets really unbearable. Also like to note Ford Denied our Lemon Law action but it was pushed forward by The BBB and mailing the information back Monday 9:00AM expedited post.

I have had the same problem for about two months. Got really bad in late August. Waited to take it in until 2 weeks ago for sending unit replacement and a litany of other small issues. Told them about the smell and how I am familiar with this musty moldy smell in 10 year old cars bought in the 80's but it should not be in a new car. (Built Dec '12) They asked me if I ran it in recirc a lot, I said I did not.

They sprayed the freshener in. Good for a day, then its back. This is not a user error causing this, its a design/manufacture/installation problem. Unlike the door rattle (which they still have not fixed on two trys) I don't think Ford (at a dealer level) is going to accept that this is a "problem" with the product. I go back in for pop click noise on front half shaft splines soon, and will try once again. If this never gets fixed, how does a lemon law apply to a "bad smell"?

I currently am Seeking lemon Law for the same issue in Canada. Ford Denied it but BBB pushed it forward. If I might ask what was ford's explanation for the problem too you?

Hi All, new to this forum. Have 2013 Fusion Hybrid for 9 months now and last week the AC started stinking which led me to you guys. I don't think humidity has much to do with the issue as I live in Livermore CA and has not rained here since April and we are very dry area. I have not made an appointment with the dealer yet but planning to next week, I did wash my car the other day and made a point to open the hood and run the hose into the vent openings at the rear of the engine compartment near the window. I let the water run through there for about 5 minutes and it made a difference for about 2 days but now the smell is coming back.

My car was ordered in November of 2012 and delivered to us in Feb 2013.

My Fusion was built in April, is that your build date as well? I wondering if it's limited to a certain batch of cars made in April.

No appears there isn't a specific production date that smell occuring in my opinion it's a design flaw

Might as well add to the group here. I've noticed the musty smell in the summer when I was running the air conditioner. It hasn't really bothered me, but I haven't been running the air conditioner much in an attempt to conserve battery and extend mileage. Now that the weather has turned and I am running the heat from time to time, the condenser isn't a factor and I haven't noticed the smell at all. We'll see what happens next summer when the air conditioner is needed again.

• 1 month later...

I purchased my Fusion in November 2012. It had the new car smell until July 2013 when the moldy smell appeared when running the A/C or heat. The smell was so bad that it permeated the interior and I could smell it even with climate control turned off.

I took it in for service three times. They sprayed FrigiFresh the first two times but the smell came back in two days. I took it in for the third time in October 2013. The service department said there was "debris in the fresh air box". They cleaned out the fresh air box and sprayed FrigiFresh again. It has been three months and the moldy smell has not returned.

I wish I could get the new car smell back :sad: .

• Like 1

I purchased my Fusion in November 2012. It had the new car smell until July 2013 when the moldy smell appeared when running the A/C or heat. The smell was so bad that it permeated the interior and I could smell it even with climate control turned off.

I took it in for service three times. They sprayed FrigiFresh the first two times but the smell came back in two days. I took it in for the third time in October 2013. The service department said there was "debris in the fresh air box". They cleaned out the fresh air box and sprayed FrigiFresh again. It has been three months and the moldy smell has not returned.

I wish I could get the new car smell back :sad: .

Did you use the A/C at all in October after they said they cleaned out the fresh air box. If not, my thinking is it's just not there anymore because the air is getting colder and the mold is not active at this time. There are a lot of us with this problem. Go over to the Fusion Hybrid forum on this topic to read more. Here is the link: http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/5344-cooling-system-stinks-up-car-even-in-winter/

One of the issues with our original MKZ (built in April) was a water gurgling sound coming from under the dash. After reading this. I think it might have been an issue with the ac. You would pull up to a drive thru or at a stop light and it sounded like water draining out of a bathtub. It also kinda sounded like water hitting a fan (kinda). Have any of you guys noticed that type of a sound when your ac is on but your fan and music is turned down low? I would think a easy fix would be to add a small drain underneath where ever the moisture is accumulating. I like the idea of having the fan run for a few minutes after shut off to prevent moisture from sitting!

Edited by lowfatdog

One of the issues with our original MKZ (built in April) was a water gurgling sound coming from under the dash. After reading this. I think it might have been an issue with the ac. You would pull up to a drive thru or at a stop light and it sounded like water draining out of a bathtub. It also kinda sounded like water hitting a fan (kinda). Have any of you guys noticed that type of a sound when your ac is on but your fan and music is turned down low? I would think a easy fix would be to add a small drain underneath where ever the moisture is accumulating. I like the idea of having the fan run for a few minutes after shut off to prevent moisture from sitting!

Nope, I didn't hear anything like that at all.

• 2 weeks later...

My first post here. You have company with this very same foul, moldy, mildew odor coming from AC vents upon startup. The only difference is that I own a 2012 Ford Explorer. I've had it back to the dealer under warranty for this issue. Their attempt at spraying air freshener is merely addressing the symptom, not the cause.

I live in Florida which does have its high summertime humidity. I've heard that dealers often try to pass the odor issue off with comments about it being "normal" in an area of high humidity. I don't buy that at all. Our Lexus RX330 (SUV) which we've operated since 2004 doesn't have any hint of AC odor at all. Somehow condensate is remaining on the Ford evaporator (heat exchanger) long enough for mold and mildew spores to have found a comfortable home. The resulting odor is not only repulsive, but can also be unhealthy!

Just Google “Ford AC Odor” and you see that Ford clearly has a design problem here with multiple models which must be resolved. I would encourage ALL Ford owners to bring this to the attention of their dealerships and make sure the “AC Odor Problem” is clearly printed on their Service Order. If not resolved now, at least you will have documented proof, plus Ford (Detroit) will eventually get our message :poke:

This is a reach out to all the people that have the issue with there fusion ac smell. I have made it to arbitration, have had the meeting but we now need your help!!!! I need you to Please give me your personal statements to when your issues arose, the work order number and date that your car was seen by ford and your name, phone number, and location(which will be held confidentially by myself otherwise punishable by law). If I we can join together on this something will be done!!! You can contact me by telephone at 1-306-550-0000(if no answer please leave a message and I'll return your call as soon as possible.)fax attention to Kenneth Moore 306-9246201 and/or email at mattkenz80@gmail.com. We can 100% make ford do something about this!!! This is time sensitive so please contact me by February 5th 2014. If not nothing will be ever done to address this situation

This is a reach out to all the people that have the issue with there fusion ac smell. I have made it to arbitration, have had the meeting but we now need your help!!!! I need you to Please give me your personal statements to when your issues arose, the work order number and date that your car was seen by ford and your name, phone number, and location(which will be held confidentially by myself otherwise punishable by law). If I we can join together on this something will be done!!! You can contact me by telephone at 1-306-550-0000(if no answer please leave a message and I'll return your call as soon as possible.)fax attention to Kenneth Moore 306-9246201 and/or email at mattkenz80@gmail.com. We can 100% make ford do something about this!!! This is time sensitive so please contact me by February 5th 2014. If not nothing will be ever done to address this situation

if you haven't already, i would suggest posting this on the other fusion forums to get the word out there.

We have had the same stank coming from the AC in our Ford Flex. Took it to a dealer and they "cleaned" it. They could smell it as well. Charged us of course 'cause they said it wasn't covered by the esp plan.

Maybe some day we'll get a letter saying we can get reimbursed for the cost via a Customer satisfaction program....

We'll see how the fusion acts. So far no stank.

Edited by RedFusion

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm driving a 2014 Fusion SE and I have not had the chance to drive it in the summer yet but I will report here when it's time to turn the AC on. I'm hoping there's not any bad smell. Is it only happen for a few mins or when the AC starts up?

TSB 14-0099

FORD:

2013-2014 Fusion

LINCOLN:

2013-2014 MKZ

ISSUE

Some 2013-2014 Fusion and MKZ vehicles built on or before 2/24/2014 may exhibit a musty or organic-type odor from the

front vents when air conditioning (A/C) is activated.

ACTION

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Replace the Climate Control Housing. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 412-00.

a. Transfer the components from the old housing to the new housing as needed.

PART NUMBER PART NAME

EG9Z-19B555-C Climate Control Housing - Manual Air Conditioning

EG9Z-19B555-D Climate Control Housing - Dual Zone Auto Temp Control

W714878-S439 Steering Column Shaft-To-Steering Column Pinch Bolt

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

140099A 2013-2014 Fusion: Replace The Climate Control Housing (Do Not Use

With Any Other Labor Operations)

6.0 Hrs.

140099A 2013-2014 Fusion Hybrid: Replace The Climate Control Housing (Do

Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)

6.6 Hrs.

140099A 2013-2014 Fusion Hybrid Plug In: Replace The Climate Control

Housing (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)

6.8 Hrs.

140099A 2013-2014 MKZ: Replace The Climate Control Housing (Do Not Use

7.4 Hrs.

140099A 2013-2014 MKZ Hybrid: Replace The Climate Control Housing (Do Not

Use With Any Other Labor Operations)

7.7 Hrs.

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are

determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE

19B555 42

MUSTY ODOR FROM A/C VENT ON INITIAL START UP - BUILT ON OR

BEFORE 2/24/2014 TSB 14-0099

NOTE: The information contained in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job

properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service.The

procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership

to determine whether the bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan

coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article.The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves

the right to supercede this information with updates.The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2014 Ford Motor Company Online Publication Date May 5, 2014 PAGE1

Edited by stju01
  • Like 3

TSB 14-0099
FORD:
2013-2014 Fusion
LINCOLN:
2013-2014 MKZ
ISSUE
Some 2013-2014 Fusion and MKZ vehicles built on or before 2/24/2014 may exhibit a musty or organic-type odor from the
front vents when air conditioning (A/C) is activated.
ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Replace the Climate Control Housing. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 412-00.
a. Transfer the components from the old housing to the new housing as needed.
PART NUMBER PART NAME
EG9Z-19B555-C Climate Control Housing - Manual Air Conditioning
EG9Z-19B555-D Climate Control Housing - Dual Zone Auto Temp Control
W714878-S439 Steering Column Shaft-To-Steering Column Pinch Bolt
OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
140099A 2013-2014 Fusion: Replace The Climate Control Housing (Do Not Use
6.0 Hrs.
140099A 2013-2014 Fusion Hybrid: Replace The Climate Control Housing (Do
Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
6.6 Hrs.
140099A 2013-2014 Fusion Hybrid Plug In: Replace The Climate Control
Housing (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
6.8 Hrs.
140099A 2013-2014 MKZ: Replace The Climate Control Housing (Do Not Use
7.4 Hrs.
140099A 2013-2014 MKZ Hybrid: Replace The Climate Control Housing (Do Not
Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
7.7 Hrs.
WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are
determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
19B555 42
MUSTY ODOR FROM A/C VENT ON INITIAL START UP - BUILT ON OR
BEFORE 2/24/2014 TSB 14-0099
NOTE: The information contained in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job
properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service.The
procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership
to determine whether the bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan
coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article.The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves
the right to supercede this information with updates.The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.
Copyright © 2014 Ford Motor Company Online Publication Date May 5, 2014 PAGE1

Hallelujah! I was ready to give up on my car.