AC bad smell on start up

gdn

Just the last few weeks when starting the car - the AC has a bad smell for 10 to 15 seconds. I'm in Dallas, so the AC is on all day if the car is on. The car hasn't been sitting for a few days or anything. You can drive it - go back an hour later and it has the same smell again when you start it. It's a musty smell that clears up, but annoying. Anyone else have similar issues?

turn your fan on high and make sure you have recirculate off then spray liberal amounts of lysol into the intake under the wipers it will go through the vents and hopefully kill the mildew thats in there, also you might want to have your windows open when you do this to avoid having the smell of lysol remain in the car longer than it should. High humidity will make the smell come back eventually though so just repeat the process once you smell it again.

Well - it sucks others have the problem, but glad to know we aren't the only ones. Hope Ford will recognize, find and fix the issue if possible. If figure there is a problem somewhere that won't be easy to fix. Something that holds water and doesn't drain well from condensation around the AC system. If anyone gets resolution from the problem please post and keep us updated. Don't have any other reason right now to go to the dealer.

They looked at mine today and said they couldn't see any mildew (though wouldn't confirm if they smelled it or not). They said they ran some disinfectant through just to make sure though, we'll see. He did recommend turning the AC off for the last few minutes while driving the car. I just realized that that might not even work as "turning" the AC off doesn't actually always turn it off. I've turned it off on a hot day and continued to get cool air from the car for a solid 5 minutes before I turned it back on (and felt no difference either time).

They looked at mine today and said they couldn't see any mildew (though wouldn't confirm if they smelled it or not). They said they ran some disinfectant through just to make sure though, we'll see. He did recommend turning the AC off for the last few minutes while driving the car. I just realized that that might not even work as "turning" the AC off doesn't actually always turn it off. I've turned it off on a hot day and continued to get cool air from the car for a solid 5 minutes before I turned it back on (and felt no difference either time).

Go to the climate screen on MFT, click the AC button AND click one of the vent options. Then you will feel the AC turn off. Pretty ridiculous, but it works. Once you have done that AC wont kick again unless you press AC button or press Auto button.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Guys, this isn't a "fix" issue. Mold grows and you have to kill the mold. My Maxima did it, my buddy is having issues with his 2013 Equinox, my Sonata does it. You have to get at the condenser and clean it. That is the only real "fix".

There are things you can to do to reduce it, but once it starts you need kill the mold and clean the condenser.

Guys, this isn't a "fix" issue. Mold grows and you have to kill the mold. My Maxima did it, my buddy is having issues with his 2013 Equinox, my Sonata does it. You have to get at the condenser and clean it. That is the only real "fix".

There are things you can to do to reduce it, but once it starts you need kill the mold and clean the condenser.

Is this something that would be covered under warranty?

Not likely. You can ask but most likely you are going to hear what you read on this thread and you might get charged depending on the dealer.

Of course this has to be something covered under warrantly. I've had my car 4 months and it smells like a wet dog with the a/c on or with only the vent on. There is something wrong with the build on certain cars for this to be happening. I've seen quite a few others with the problem in this car over on the Fusion Hybrid forum. I've never had this problem with any other car.

I've had my car in for serivce twice for this. Both times they said they sprayed the mold/mildew solution in the car (I believe it's Fridgi Fresh), only for it to come back the day aftrer I get my car back.

It is to the point where I can't have people in my car because I'm too embarrassed by the smell. I can't even take it myself, I have to drive without a/c or with the windows down in the heat.

Edited by Riggo

Mine is getting pretty bad as well. I even ran the heat on high last night (with the windows down, thankfully it was cool last night) with the AC off to try to clear the smell out. Started the car this morning (with the AC still off) and it's still there. I've only taken it to the dealer once for this issue and they did the same as Riggo, sprayed some "disinfectant" and said they didn't smell anything or see any mold.

It's odd to me that this is a common issue. Both my 2001 Audi A4 and my wife's 2004 Corolla have never had this issue, and we never turn the AC off except in the winter. I remember my dad telling me to do the whole "turn the AC off a few minutes before you stop" on older cars, but I assumed this was an issue that had been sorted out with newer cars.

I wonder if there is anything we can do to get Ford's attention? Does it help to contact Trina or whoever at Ford?

This is worse than any MPG issue as far as I'm concerned. It sours the whole car new car experience.

I spent 35,000 on a stink machine. Instead of sparky, I may have to rename stinky.

I have the 2013 Fusion Energi and started having the bad smell at start up issue this week. Something I have noticed about this car, I never see any air conditioning condensate draining onto the pavement. Any other car I have owned there would always be a good sized puddle of liquid from the air conditioning condensate drain. I also noticed a gurgling sound from the center console as though there were a puddle of liquid being agitated somewhere inside. I hope Ford has remembered to drain the excess condensate from the air conditioning system. Otherwise, this is a great car, thoroughly thrilled with the technology and performance.

Jack

As the OP of the thread - quick follow up - Had mine in to the dealer today and told them I wanted the problem noted and investigated - they did as I figured and marked the service order "NPF" - no problem found. At least they know I've noted it and asked for a resolution. They have none as of now. I guess as long as everyone will asked to have it looked into when you are in for any kind of service - maybe it will show up some day and get some attention.

Since we didn't just start making cars yesterday I would hope and think they'd have better engineering than this. I'm sure it could be a multitude of problems as others have mentioned and maybe even mold, but we are way too advanced for stupidity in engineering like that.

The only suggestion from the service advisor was as a few others have mentioned - turn the AC off before stopping the car. I was never sure why - but he said so that the internal vents would open - when the AC is in the off position - they open for "vent" or outside air. Don't know if it might help some or not - that will be a hard habit to createas I've never done that in the 32 years of driving.

Keep having it documented - might get someone's attention or at least a design change.

• Like 1