What would you swap an Ecoboost into?

If I had a pile of money with that wasn't ear marked, I would do a resto-mod Mark VIII. Ecoboost 3.5 with 6 speed, probably get rid of air and go adjustable coilovers, and big brakes. Give a nice once over to the interior and update the electronics (stereo/nav). Hard to believe that they are already over 20 years old. I always thought they were one of the last Lincoln's with a distinct road presence.

From the gas monkeys article:

There is no aftermarket support for the Ecoboost, because people arent swapping them so theres no need for parts.

The turbo's inlet is about the size of a quarter, which absolutely blew my mind initially, Kaufman recalled. From the factory they come with exhaust manifolds that have no separate runners, its really just a full-length tube.

This is what I was speaking of. Still way too hard/expensive to build an ecoboost swap to make any sense vs the easy/cheap stroker iterations of the venerable 302. We'll see if they get there in the future.

The other thing with the ecoboost is it's 10.5 compression running 7-9 psi boost on lightweight cast pistons and powdered metal rods. This is only possible with direct injection and a perfect tune. This is another reason why they're not popular for swaps: bigger turbos and other mods require a revised tune. Since there's basically no margin for an imperfect tune, it's hard to revise the tune without grenading the bottom end. Adding to the issue is that stronger bottom end parts like forged pistons and rods are not readily available. Maybe the GT40 application brought part numbers for a forged bottom end with it..... Anyone know? That'd be a large boon to people looking to build the ecoboost motors.

I know a guy who builds the Cobra kit cars. He's seen one or two with an ecoboost crate motor, but 90% of the builds are still going with some version of the windsor small block or some iteration of the modular V8 to a lesser extent. The remaining 10% are FE engines in the interest of authenticity. The Ecoboost's popularity is right up there alongside such engines as the 6.8 V10, 300 inline six, and GM 90 degree V6s - i.e. essentially none. Even the BBF 385 motors, GM ohv LS V8s, and cast iron 2.3 turbo SVO motors are much more commonly seen in the cobras.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

From the gas monkeys article:

This is what I was speaking of. Still way too hard/expensive to build an ecoboost swap to make any sense vs the easy/cheap stroker iterations of the venerable 302. We'll see if they get there in the future.

The other thing with the ecoboost is it's 10.5 compression running 7-9 psi boost on lightweight cast pistons and powdered metal rods. This is only possible with direct injection and a perfect tune. This is another reason why they're not popular for swaps: bigger turbos and other mods require a revised tune. Since there's basically no margin for an imperfect tune, it's hard to revise the tune without grenading the bottom end. Adding to the issue is that stronger bottom end parts like forged pistons and rods are not readily available. Maybe the GT40 application brought part numbers for a forged bottom end with it..... Anyone know? That'd be a large boon to people looking to build the ecoboost motors.

I know a guy who builds the Cobra kit cars. He's seen one or two with an ecoboost crate motor, but 90% of the builds are still going with some version of the windsor small block or some iteration of the modular V8 to a lesser extent. The remaining 10% are FE engines in the interest of authenticity. The Ecoboost's popularity is right up there alongside such engines as the 6.8 V10, 300 inline six, and GM 90 degree V6s - i.e. essentially none. Even the BBF 385 motors, GM ohv LS V8s, and cast iron 2.3 turbo SVO motors are much more commonly seen in the cobras.

The later versions of Ecoboost are up around 16 psi boost, I think your point on cost effective build

is correct, the older Windsors and MODS are much more affordable but perhaps in time,

they too will be surpassed by S/C Coyote.

To me, the V6 EB belongs in a nice light car, one that's probably too small for a V8,

room with the tall and wide Ecoboost V6 also makes it difficult to retro fit.

Not exactly an Ecoboost swap but I'm awaiting for the new Cummins R2.8 4 cylinder turbo diesel (repower package for Jeeps and vintage utilities) to be released this fall. I'd like to swap it into my Willys Wagon. If you search it on YouTube you'll find some articles on it. Advance Adapters will be providing kits for various transmissions etc.

Great timing for this post. The only non Ford vehicle we own is my wifes 98 TJ Wrangler. Its just a toy as she normally drives our 15 Expedition. We just lifted the Jeep and put some 33's on it.

Even with the 4.0 and 3.73's, she wants more power. She literally just asked me how hard it would be to put an ecoboost in it. The expy is a rocket with the eco.

Unfortunately, there is zero chance given my mechanical abilities and the cost associated for me to try and make it happen.

As much as I love Ford, they are just not swap friendly in a lot of cases. As least as much as GM LS motors. I have buddies on Sloppy Mechanics fb page and they swap LS stuff into everything. One of my buddies stuffed a 6.0 (junk yard motor) into an older loaded BMW. Used a Chinese ebay turbo and intercooler and tunes it with a microsquirt. He has less than $5K into the entire kit and caboodle and it is insanely fast. Ford stuff (late model) just isn't as easy. I love the EB, Coyote, and 6.2 (have a Raptor). But trying to get all of that swapped into something else is not for the average Joe.

So I will sit back and watch you guys do it.

How about either a 2.7 EB or a 3.5 EB into a '15 V6 Mustang.

Pretty soon, there's going to be loads of them n the used car market at much cheaper prices than their V8 GT brothers.

That could be a great low cost way to experience the TTV6 Mustang we all know Ford should be selling.

Edited by jpd80

• 3 months later...

I want to swap an Ecoboost 2.3 turbo with a manual trans into a ... Mercedes 190e. The W201 chassis is a great little car, the suspension can be made to handle quite well. They ran these cars in DTM (German touring car championship) for many years, so suspension upgrades are well known and readily available. When equipped with a 4 cylinder engine, the 190 is a well balanced car, but hopelessly underpowered, unless we are talking about the 16-valve cosworth models that are about as rare as hen's teeth. The 6 cylinder M103 powered versions were a bit more powerful than the anemic 8-valve 4-bangers, but the handling is generally "meh", because the car becomes too darn nose-heavy with a 6 cylinder iron block out front. The Ecoboost 2.3 Turbo is a great engine that is vastly superior to any engine that Mercedes has ever put into that car. The Ecoboost weights a little bit more than the 8-valve M102, about the same as M102 with Cosworth head. Both weigh a lot less than the 6 cylinder, and Ecoboost makes more horsepower than Mercedes M102 and M103 engines combined.

The W201 chassis is excellent, because it is only slightly heavier than an E30 BMW. Unlike the BMW, W201 is not a death trap. It's by a good margin lighter than E36 which is the lightest BMW I would consider for an engine swap, due to safety concerns. Besides, everyone and their dog is running an LS1 swapped E36 these days, you can just buy the parts from Vorschlag and bolt/wire everything together without having to do any engineering at all. Where's the fun in that?

I think that Mercedes 190e (W201chassis) and 2.3 Ecoboost are a match made in heaven. We're talking power-to-weight ratios well into the Corvette/Viper category, in a well balanced and agile car that handles really well. No one expects an old 190e to be fast, but with an Ecoboost swap they can be seriously fast. They can be quite a sleeper.

• Like 1