What would you swap an Ecoboost into?

O kay, as we all know, Ford has really got something in the Ecoboost line. I have posed the question for fun on another forum of : "What would you swap an Ecoboost into?" There were pages and pages of responses with the most common answers being Fox body Mustangs, Mazda Miatas and other sports cars. In fact there is a huge potential if Ford got really serious in making these things easy to plug in and play with. I think there is a great opportunity for Ford to regain some ground they lost to GM with engine swappers and car builders.

So, just for fun, I am asking you the same question. What would you swap an Ecoboost into? Any version..... what has crossed your mind? This could be a little relief from all the serious numbers crunching sales figures, EPA talk and recall news that often goes on in here. So C'mon let's hear it what do you think would be a cool Ecoboost powered ride? I want to hear your musings.............Me? I think it would be cool to have Ford seriously look at the current offroad rage of sand sports and rock crawling. With the ability to provide copious amounts of torque starting way low down in the rev range the various Ecoboost powerplants could be very helpful to those guys. I see it this way, starting with the 1.0 3 banger as the perfect engine to repower micro buggies like the Yamaha Rhino or Kawasaki Teryx and their derivatives. The 1.5/1.6 would seem taylor made for single seat buggies where the ultimate in low weight is paramont. The 2.0, 2.3 and 3.5's seem to me like awesome choices for larger 4 seat buggies or the rock crawlers with bigger tires, 4 wheel drives and heavier weights. Right now the LS and bbc based GM v8's dominate the wide open unlimited buggies. Let them have that for now. That's only the top tier. More inroads could be made by Ford Motorsports by catering to the 75% of the folks involved that don't have unlimited budgets.

Well there's a glimpse into what bounces around in my head. Again let's hear yours, and maybe the right people at Ford will hear us and consider some of this. Thanks in advance!

30s Fords. Especially if you have to take out a 350 to do it.

Bingo RJ! That could be and would be a future trend should Ford decide to pursue it. In fact if carefully planned Ford Ecoboost could be the "go to" powerplant for any number of unique applications since they posses the key elements of small size, light weight, big power. Also the way their displacements and cylinder configurations are laid out I can see lots of opportunity for being the "best choice" due to have the right engine for the job.

Let's not forget the low volume cottage industry sports car builders and of course kit cars. The latter coming into their own the last decade or so in terms of quality. What with the Cobras Cat 7's Allards and such. Could be a decent venture for Ford if they saw fit to start workin with these people.

Edited by Stray Kat

Bingo RJ! That could be and would be a future trend should Ford decide to pursue it. In fact if carefully planned Ford Ecoboost could be the "go to" powerplant for any number of unique applications since they posses the key elements of small size, light weight, big power. Also the way their displacements and cylinder configurations are laid out I can see lots of opportunity for being the "best choice" due to have the right engine for the job.

Let's not forget the low volume cottage industry sports car builders and of course kit cars. The latter coming into their own the last decade or so in terms of quality. What with the Cobras Cat 7's Allards and such. Could be a decent venture for Ford if they saw fit to start workin with these people.

Issue really comes down to price and packaging. I'm thinking it'll still be a lot cheaper and easier to fit a 350 Chevy or Ford 302 into most of these projects in absense of a 3.5 EB or something else of similar power. It would be neat to do, but I don't think it'll really become widespread in the aftermarket.

A jet boat. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Funny you mention that but I just saw what I believe to be a turbocharged Toyota 6 banger installed in an offshore race boat making nort of 900 hp. It is a lighter replacement for the standard bbc.

Issue really comes down to price and packaging. I'm thinking it'll still be a lot cheaper and easier to fit a 350 Chevy or Ford 302 into most of these projects in absense of a 3.5 EB or something else of similar power. It would be neat to do, but I don't think it'll really become widespread in the aftermarket.

Knowing that in the automobile industry vehicle planners must predict and plan in what direction the industry goes. In this same way aftermarket builders and enthusiasts mature and adapt to new trends. Take the 5.0 Fox Mustang movement. It was the right car at the right time and introduced alot of young people to new at the time technology. Computer engine controls and electronic fuel injection being the biggies. In the wake of what was learned, GM did what they do best and copied those concepts and built a production pushrod V8 that emulates what was learned and developed on the high output fuel injected Ford V8's that preceded them. Just look closely and notice the similarities. They are uncanny.

Now Ford has pushed the envelope further. As we know its a combination of new and not so new technologies that make the Ecoboost work. I think it would be a great idea on Ford's part to maximize this product's identity and development. No it may never be cheaper than a 350 Chevy swap. Heck even when the first Ford 5.0 turned the tables on GM and became very cheap to use due to sheer volume there was resistance to using Ford stuff in early cars due to old habits and tons of misinformation fomented mostly by the Chevy oriented hot rod journals. I think now, at this time the guys like me who grew up on Stromberg carbs and dual point distributors are getting older. We are being replaced by tech savvy young people who will be more likely to embrace the cutting edge technology that Ford is bringing to market. I think a strong case can be made for getting young people hooked on Fords at an early age and turning them into the Ford customers of the future. It's happened before and it can happen again.

Edited by Stray Kat