No U.S. EcoSport before 2017

Ford Motor Co. says it will sell its subcompact EcoSport SUV in 62 countries by 2017, but the U.S. will not be one of them.

Jim Farley, Ford’s executive vice president of global marketing, sales, service and Lincoln, said Wednesday at Ford’s World Headquarters that the automaker is studying “very closely” the possibility of selling the recently revamped small SUVicon1.png here in the U.S. But he said that the immediate market does not warrant selling the car here.

The article concludes:

Ford will instead focus on selling the EcoSport in growing auto markets like India and Brazil. In the U.S., the Dearborn automaker sells the Fiesta subcompact car, which shares a platform with the EcoSport.

Other subcompact SUVs already in the U.S. market include the Nissan Juke and the Buick Encore.

The Buick Encore is a SUBcompact SUV? I must be mistaken, but it seems the same size as an Escape. :)

Ford would love to be in this game, but none of Ford's global assets are suitable. I think the real leader in this segment will be Honda which will likely inspire Ford's response. And remember, GM chose to give Buick the Encore and keep the Trax in Canada. I'm not sure why, Chevy is in the most need, but it's likely pricing doesn't work next to the Equinox.

In the end, Ford will probably need to develop a specific product for the US based on the next-gen Fiesta. That product may be a global successor for the B-Max and EcoSport. But as it stands, the EcoSport and B-Max were never candidates for the US market.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

In the end, Ford will probably need to develop a specific product for the US based on the next-gen Fiesta. That product may be a global successor for the B-Max and EcoSport. But as it stands, the EcoSport and B-Max were never candidates for the US market.

yes.gif if you mean one model to replace both. That's been a rant of mine.

Imho the RotW has a couple-few redundancies that FoMoCo never lets U.S. get away with POUT.gif

The article concludes:

Ford will instead focus on selling the EcoSport in growing auto markets like India and Brazil. In the U.S., the Dearborn automaker sells the Fiesta subcompact car, which shares a platform with the EcoSport.

Other subcompact SUVs already in the U.S. market include the Nissan Juke and the Buick Encore.

The Buick Encore is a SUBcompact SUV? I must be mistaken, but it seems the same size as an Escape. :)

It's about 10 inches overall smaller and has a 5 inch shorter wheelbase.

Yep... Encore is built on the same platform as Chevy's Sonic, a Fiesta competitor. The next-gen Equinox and Terrain will be direct competitors to the Escape after moving from the Theta architecture to the new global Delta II.

I don't see how B-Max/Ecosport is different than C-Max/Escape.
2 imhos:

-- the smaller the vehicles' size, the harder it is to differentiate variants; so to me the BMx/Ecosport need a double-look to tell apart, CMx/Escape are different enough, tho still not a different as a fullsize minivan-vs-SUV would be ...Cuvs are sort of another consolidation imho.

&

-- in the 5-door C segment as you know, the RotW also gets a Focus wagon and the GrandC-Max, in addition to our CMx/Escape = give the Yurps&friends what they want, TELL u.s. what we want

2 imhos:

-- the smaller the vehicles' size, the harder it is to differentiate variants; so to me the BMx/Ecosport need a double-look to tell apart, CMx/Escape are different enough, tho still not a different as a fullsize minivan-vs-SUV would be ...Cuvs are sort of another consolidation imho.

&

-- in the 5-door C segment as you know, the RotW also gets a Focus wagon and the GrandC-Max, in addition to our CMx/Escape = give the Yurps&friends what they want, TELL u.s. what we want

I have to disagree the mpv market in the ROW is stable and growing you cannot simply replace the C-max with the escape, or the B-max with the

Ecosport, why would have to? The ecosport will sell 300k + the B-max 200k + with the B-max sharing more components with the fiesta, much like the c-max and focus.

With smaller cars, you see far more variants than you see in larger cars for a couple of reasons, 1) small car platforms sell in volumes 1 million units per year 2) sold in more diverse markets, than larger cars 3) profit margins tighter forcing makers to have derivatives that can command a premium over other main stream models.

you don't see d class cars offering as many variant s as you have in small cars, they simply don't sell well enough to make sense.

IMHO, B-Max should appear in the NA market. In a perfect world, there would be an AWD "allroad" version with a titanium-level trim option.

Then again, it would also be nice have a Troller with a 2.0 EB in it, too, if only to scare the bejeezuz out of Jeep. :)

troller_2013_1_1.jpg

I think the real problem is difference in fuel economy would be small and owner satisfaction in the American driving environment would be lower with the ecosport. Ford would earn less profit to create less repeat business, then those who do repeat would be more likely to move up to the escape instead of the explorer.

Ford just needs to morph the best attributes of each vehicle into one for the US market. The sliders and tire need to go. And the micro-van design of the B-Max is pretty damn off-putting.

Edited by BORG

I think the real problem is difference in fuel economy would be small and owner satisfaction in the American driving environment would be lower with the ecosport. Ford would earn less profit to create less repeat business, then those who do repeat would be more likely to move up to the escape instead of the explorer.

why doesn't this logic apply the fiesta? because the fiesta fill the same role as the ecosport would.

Ford just needs to morph the best attributes of each vehicle into one for the US market. The sliders and tire need to go. And the micro-van design of the B-Max is pretty damn off-putting.

there isn't enough volume to make custom product for the US. take it or leave it.

From my perspective, I just have never warmed up to the EcoSport including its prior iteration. If Ford were proposing a small SUV along the lines of the Honda Urban SUV shown at the Detroit Auto Show, I would be interested:

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/detroit/2013/1301_honda_urban_suv_concept/photo_00.html

There was a lot of pressure on North America to take the EcoSport over the years (including some from people with the last name Ford) and it never made sense regardless of how many times it was studied. I don't know what the specifics are today, but I suspect the basic decision factors are still the same. I just don't expect to see it here.

why doesn't this logic apply the fiesta? because the fiesta fill the same role as the ecosport would

I think,it mostly does as the fiesta gets 33 EPA average compared to 31 for the comparable focus. The fiesta does come in at a price point lower than could be matched with the ecosport. The fiesta has a bit of a sport image with, from what I can tell, young guys who didn't grow up with a functional relationship with their Dad. The ecosport might not be able to be seen as sporty to any demographic.

To be an "entry level" model, Encore isn't exactly moving in impressive volume, although I'd wager that it's still too much money for too little car from a brand that makes -zero- sense for this demo.

EcoSport could do something here, and a sub-Escape CUV, complete with its sharp greenhouse and TRON-esque font end, it could really catch the Millennial demo Ford just hosted that conference about.

It's silly, I know, but I'd like to see the EcoSport platform with Flex styling, with the back doors sliders, like the B-Max. Call it a B-Flex? :)

Hemm B-Flex... you mean something like a MINI Clubman?

I always though that Flex was like a supersized Clubman, especially with contrasting roof color.

I think,it mostly does as the fiesta gets 33 EPA average compared to 31 for the comparable focus. The fiesta does come in at a price point lower than could be matched with the ecosport. The fiesta has a bit of a sport image with, from what I can tell, young guys who didn't grow up with a functional relationship with their Dad. The ecosport might not be able to be seen as sporty to any demographic.

so why should for sell the fiesta?

ford sells the fiesta to protect the focus, by allowing ford to price the focus higher because the fiesta cover the low end.

the ecosport allows for to eliminate the least profitable variants of the escape and offer the ecosport instead.

the Bmax is in more unique position, because it cannot be categorized, ford making the C-Max hybrid only makes categorization more complex because there are C-Max buyers that absolutely love the tall roof hatchback format of the vehicle. very appealing to young and old alike.

people become overlyfixated on the sliders, and forget the ease of access they provide. even doubly so since the B-Max eliminates the B-pillar. the max-s are about flexibility, balancing people and stuff.

C-Max buyers that absolutely love the tall roof hatchback format of the vehicle. very appealing to young and old alike.

Funny thing is I've heard women of Generation X call it a Minivan or Station wagon looking...I don't mind the styling, but I wish the front end looked better....its a bit busy for my likes. A Fusion or 2014 Fiesta maw would be an big improvement.