Rattling Noise - video attached

FusionNewbie

Hey all,

For whatever reason, I've started noticing this super obnoxious rattling noise coming from somewhere around the passenger A-Pillar...I can't tell if it's a dash issue, something with the trim, or what - does anyone else experience this? I uploaded a video of the sound while driving - you have to listen carefully and block out the road noise to hear it.

(and no, I was not the one recording the video while driving)

$5 to anyone who guesses which road I was on.

I have to take it into the dealer for it's first oil change soon - so I'll mention to it then at the very least. Will showing this video to them help?

Edited by FusionNewbie

Hey Newbie, tap the little black plastic panels behind the door pull, if it rattles as you do it, that is most likely the cause. I had that happen for 2 months or so and was driving me crazy (had to fix that on all 4 doors). They are just loose and need to be fastened better. Let me know if that is the culprit.

Looks like your driving the GW Parkway around Arlington Cemetary. I lived in Annandale back in the mid 70's and my wife and I used to like to hike Roosevelt Island. Interesting place that was off the the beaten path.

• 4 months later...

Hey FusionNewbie,

I too have a passenger side dash rattle. It is driving me nuts. It started a couple months ago. My Fusion was built in March 2013 it is not related to the TSB mentioned above. I haven't taken it to the Dealer yet but plan to soon. Have you had any luck eliminating the noise on your end?

Hey FusionNewbie,

I too have a passenger side dash rattle. It is driving me nuts. It started a couple months ago. My Fusion was built in March 2013 it is not related to the TSB mentioned above. I haven't taken it to the Dealer yet but plan to soon. Have you had any luck eliminating the noise on your end?

I haven't heard the noise for a while but unfortunately I can't give a reason as to why...when I took it to the dealer I was getting the gas tank replaced, fuel filler replaced, the A-pillar trim replaced, an oil change, and a tire replacement (damn nails) so it kind of fell through the cracks.

They replaced the vertical a-pillar trim on the outside of the vehicle because the trim was peeling off. This was not the cause of the rattle as the rattle would exist when the car was at a stop. I also verified the location of the rattle because every time I would push the vent on the INSIDE of the vehicle, the rattle would stop until I let go.

Hopefully that made sense...

• 3 years later...

@FusionNewbie, I know this is an old thread but did you ever figure this out?? I have a 17' Fusion Hybrid and have the exact same noise. Its hard to tell what side its coming from, but I read something about pebbles between the heatshield? It definitely sounds like it could be that and it is driving me insane.