Plastidip?

sterlinggray

If I can figure out how to block over-spray onto my radiator (without removing the bumper), I plan to plasti dip the horizontal bars of my grill this holiday weekend. Seems there's no way to really access the front of the radiator w/out bumper removal; sticking something through the gaps of the grill bars & spreading it out over the radiator seems like the only solution for peeps like me who don't want to remove the bumper. I just need to figure exactly how to do that, and what tools/materials will work best.

Why? This car doesn't need any of that stuff. Imo it just cheapens the look of the car.

I would rather wait for an aftermarket grill and replace it that way, like the CDC Fusion. http://shop.classicdesignconcepts.com/talladega-fusion/

Remember: stock > ghetto.

chicken wire grills, Z3 fenders, crazy vinyl jobs on cars, underbody neon lighting, altezzas, lambo doors, angel/demon eyes, spinners (and even more hilarious hubcap spinners), stick on Buick portholes, plastidip, and the money wasting list goes on...

Just offering my point of view as I speak from experience.

To the OP. Understand that I'm looking out for you because I've been there and done some of the things I listed. I don't want you to spend your hard earned money on products that are typically designed to take your money. Remember APC? I would rather see you save your hard-earned money and spend it on products that offer a better return on investment, products that you can take off and sell later on, or even do a higher trim level conversion. I certainly don't want you to potentially ruin your car, even if this product is designed to come right off.

Edited by HenryVIII
  • Like 1

Its not your car so why are you worried about it? He was asking if people had done it and how they did it not if you blessed him doing it.

Ghetto to you isn't ghetto to everyone. Just my point of view from experience.

Edited by Bearcats98

Its not your car so why are you worried about it? He was asking if people had done it and how they did it not if you blessed him doing it.

Ghetto to you isn't ghetto to everyone. Just my point of view from experience.

Oh I'm not. I could care less if he does it or not.

Hey Joe, if you're referring to the horizontal chrome covered bars, I heard they are removable. They should just pop off.

I heard the same, but haven't figured how to remove them. I'll try taking a harder look this weekend; hopefully I can figure it out. All I want to dip are the horizontal bars, not looking to get all crazy with it.

I did the bars on mine and the easiest way i can say personally for me was to remove the bumper to get the bars off.

I was going to recommend that. According to some on here, its less than 10 minutes to remove the bumper and the detailed instructions are in the owners manual. Not only will you not spray your radiator it will allow you to move the bumper into a better position to get a better spray coverage.

And OP...remember...PREP is the key. Clean, clean and clean some more and it will turn out good.

I was going to recommend that. According to some on here, its less than 10 minutes to remove the bumper and the detailed instructions are in the owners manual. Not only will you not spray your radiator it will allow you to move the bumper into a better position to get a better spray coverage.

And OP...remember...PREP is the key. Clean, clean and clean some more and it will turn out good.

Agreed. Plus you don't have to mess about tediously peeling the over spray from the rest of the grill

OK, I dipped my grill w/out removing the bumper. I used a clothes hanger, and stuffed about 12 of those thin, plastic grocery bags between the radiator & grill. I thought the finished product turned out well. BUT, like an idiot, I removed a couple bags too soon. It pulled the dip off part of one grill slat. I left the other bags in (still there as I type this), and will let the Plasti dip cure for at least a few more hours before re-attempting removal. I sprayed some more dip on the affected area. Doesn't look great, but can't see it unless my nose is up on the grill, inspecting it. Here are a couple crappy cell phone pics:

524133aftercropped.jpg

524134streetcropped.jpg

• Like 2

Looks good Joe, lets see a side shot to see the wheels and grille.

524135sidecropped.jpg

About 3.5 hrs since last coat applied, and still tacky, so I still don't feel safe trying to remove the rest of the bags from behind the grill. I thought hard about removing the grill, but all those fasteners/screws caused me to stick w/ the original plan. BTW, those fasteners look like they can be easily ruined when removing.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...