Custom Search

2019 Lincoln Aviator Introduced Here !

Welcome to Blue Oval Forums

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Blue Oval Forums.  You must first register to create topics and post replies. Registration is a quick and easy process and only takes a minute.  Be apart of Blue Oval Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images
  • Use the Shout feature and more. . .
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hinrich: Quality is Ford's Highest Priority

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mackinaw

mackinaw

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • Joined 15-July 06
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Focus 1994 F-150

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

Good interview with Joe Hinrich in today's Automotive News.  Worth the read.

http://www.autonews....C#axzz2Txkd0A00

• mettech and aneekr like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 ONLINE   IMSA-XJR9

IMSA-XJR9

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Joined 03-February 03

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:30 AM

Thanks for posting!

2004 Competition Orange Mach 1
2014 F-150 XLT Ecoboost

2015 Lincoln MKZ 2.0 AWD

#3 OFFLINE   mettech

mettech

Mettech

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • Joined 11-April 06
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Edge, 2016 F-250

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:24 AM

Most of the MKZ issues have been resolved.
:wub: 
Read more: http://www.autonews....7#ixzz2U1V1fJpM

Above All, The USAF 1982 - 2012

fordspinner.gif2010-10-23_17-34-44_438-1.jpg

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -- Benjamin Franklin

'16 F-250, '17 Edge, '17 KIA Niro

#4 OFFLINE   BORG

BORG

Blue Oval Enthusiast

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,149 posts
  • Joined 19-September 99
  • Current Vehicle:None

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:14 AM

Interesting read, mostly because they admit to customer dissatisfaction with the touch panels and will be returning to knobs.  Which is fine, they've done this with the panels in the Edge and Explorer (non Sony) and I like them best.  I still prefer how Lincoln is doing it with the sliders, but controlling the temperature is not a great experience with the touch buttons.  I still want to hear more about MyFord Touch progress beyond software patches, at least I hope something dramatic is going on for the future to bring this system out of the dark ages.   

As for quality, I don't doubt their commitment after the fact, I simply doubt their skill and resource commitment prior to the fact.  

Edited by BORG, 22 May 2013 - 08:15 AM.

• svtenthusiast and EBFlex like this

#5 OFFLINE   NickF1011

NickF1011

Moderator Shmoderator

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,712 posts
  • Joined 13-September 04
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Edge Sport, 1997 Mustang Cobra

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:24 AM

I still want to hear more about MyFord Touch progress beyond software patches, at least I hope something dramatic is going on for the future to bring this system out of the dark ages.   

Of course you do.

Then again, you're one of the few who insists it is, in fact, in "the dark ages". As for a next generation, it would be silly to assume that they aren't working on it, but why would they share anything about it at this point?
Current Rides:
2011 Ford Edge Sport AWD
1997 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra

Previous Rides:
2004 Mazda 6s
1995 Saturn SL2
1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4x2
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4
1993 Ford Taurus LX
1987 Ford Taurus GL

Moderator at TeamMustang.net

#6 OFFLINE   4d4evr-1

4d4evr-1

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Joined 26-February 04
  • Current Vehicle:2005 LS

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

Interesting read, mostly because they admit to customer dissatisfaction with the touch panels and will be returning to knobs.  Which is fine, they've done this with the panels in the Edge and Explorer (non Sony) and I like them best.  I still prefer how Lincoln is doing it with the sliders, but controlling the temperature is not a great experience with the touch buttons.  I still want to hear more about MyFord Touch progress beyond software patches, at least I hope something dramatic is going on for the future to bring this system out of the dark ages.   

As for quality, I don't doubt their commitment after the fact, I simply doubt their skill and resource commitment prior to the fact.  

My wife and I love our C-Max and MyFord touch..... :yahoo:

I may not get what I want
I will always get what I need
But I will never get what I deserve

#7 OFFLINE   kenp77

kenp77

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Joined 14-June 05

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

Borg: U r spot on in the commitment catagory, I am waiting to see what ford does witht he ecoboost issue in the f-150 if they redesign the intercooler so it works in all situations or just do a patch work fix??

Edited by kenp77, 22 May 2013 - 12:15 PM.

• EBFlex likes this

#8 OFFLINE   NickF1011

NickF1011

Moderator Shmoderator

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,712 posts
  • Joined 13-September 04

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

Borg: U r spot on in the commitment catagory, I am waiting to see what ford does witht he ecoboost issue in the f-150 if they redesign the intercooler so it works in all situations or just do a patch work fix??

I would assume the next gen of V6 EB engines will use the newer intercooler design first implemented on the 1.5 EB.
Current Rides:
2011 Ford Edge Sport AWD

Previous Rides:
2004 Mazda 6s
1995 Saturn SL2
1993 Ford Taurus LX
1987 Ford Taurus GL

#9 OFFLINE   kenp77

kenp77

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Joined 14-June 05

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:07 PM

I would assume the next gen of V6 EB engines will use the newer intercooler design first implemented on the 1.5 EB.

I sure hope so, was at my ford dealer today and asked the service manager about the 5.0 or eco in an f-150 and he told me point blank if he were buying today it would be the 5.0 said he has not had one come back into the shop and they r still getting fixes for the eco intercooler and the difference in mileage and power is very small, so think my mind is made up...

• EBFlex likes this

#10 OFFLINE   MineralstangGT

MineralstangGT

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 290 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12
  • Current Vehicle:2002 mustang gt

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

I sure hope so, was at my ford dealer today and asked the service manager about the 5.0 or eco in an f-150 and he told me point blank if he were buying today it would be the 5.0 said he has not had one come back into the shop and they r still getting fixes for the eco intercooler and the difference in mileage and power is very small, so think my mind is made up...

2.0 EB still uses the old design as well right?

*ON ORDER*

2014 Fusion SE

Sunset

Appearance Pkg

2.0L

Moonroof

Ordered: 7/1/2013

#11 OFFLINE   kenp77

kenp77

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Joined 14-June 05

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:35 PM

2.0 EB still uses the old design as well right?

Honestly I do not know, I have only been watching the 3.5 in the f-150 as that is the vehicle I am looking to purchase soon??

#12 OFFLINE   TBirdStangSkyliner

TBirdStangSkyliner

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 356 posts
  • Joined 18-November 10

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:36 PM

When is the next generation of V6 EB's going to be available. I'd like to wait out to get a nano, if 2015 or before.

#13 OFFLINE   Hugh

Hugh

Blue Oval Enthusiast

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Joined 24-April 06
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • Current Vehicle:2005 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:52 PM

IIRC, the EB 35, 20 and 16 are 1st gen. The EB 10 I'm not sure but the EB 15 looks like 2nd gen. Taking into account the different power settings of the EB 35 in the D3 and the F-series.

photo-thumb-15254.jpg

READY AYE READY "ONE NAVY"

Former Vehicles:
1993 Mercury Topaz GS Maroon ext. - Grey 'Mouse Fur' int. (Vulcan and 3A) AKA 'Thunder Topaz' 1999-2010
2011 Ford Fiesta SES Monteray Grey ext. - Black Leather w/ Oatmeal stitching int. (HB and 6A) AKA 'Little Car' 2010 - 2012

2002 Ford Taurus SES Sport Black ext. - Medium Stone 'Mouse Fur' int. AKA 'Ferdinand the Bull ' 2012-2014

2014 Ford Escape Titanium AWD Tuxedo Black ext. - Black Leather int. 2014-2017

#14 OFFLINE   Hugh

Hugh

Blue Oval Enthusiast

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Joined 24-April 06
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • Current Vehicle:2005 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:59 PM

The current Ford brochure literature doesn't really show enough of the base to mid-level configurations such as dual speedo/tach and knobs in D3, and CD3 models. If touch-screen GUI is such a bug-bear I feel it's because of the customers not used to that setup in an automobile. I went back to a standard 3 knob from a mobile style device in the Fiesta. IIRC, Windows 8 Mobile maybe a benchmark for the upcoming SYNC/MF/MFT replacement. That's not a bad thing IMO.

photo-thumb-15254.jpg

READY AYE READY "ONE NAVY"

Former Vehicles:
1993 Mercury Topaz GS Maroon ext. - Grey 'Mouse Fur' int. (Vulcan and 3A) AKA 'Thunder Topaz' 1999-2010
2011 Ford Fiesta SES Monteray Grey ext. - Black Leather w/ Oatmeal stitching int. (HB and 6A) AKA 'Little Car' 2010 - 2012

2002 Ford Taurus SES Sport Black ext. - Medium Stone 'Mouse Fur' int. AKA 'Ferdinand the Bull ' 2012-2014

2014 Ford Escape Titanium AWD Tuxedo Black ext. - Black Leather int. 2014-2017

#15 OFFLINE   Extreme4x4

Extreme4x4

SheMember

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 2,101 posts
  • Joined 25-March 00
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Explorer Sport, 2008 F250 SD

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

I think the single largest problems with customers with touch screens, is they do not let them complete a function before they are punching other buttons. Then they complain that the screens aren't doing what they want them to do. It is a familiarity thing that will get better over time.

The funny thing being, I find the touch screen in the Explorer to be much easier to deal with than the one on my Kindle, or my husbands Droid. They are so oversensitive that it is incredibly easy to accidentally end up where you don't want to be. I would never want the screen in my vehicle to be like that.

Gloria
2013 Ford Explorer Sport LOADED, and we love MFT
2008 Ford F250 4x4 Crewcab, shortbed, Lariat (Navigation and DVD) V10
2003 Mazda Tribute ES AWD, loaded (sold)
2001 Ford F150 Lightning (sold)
1993 Ford EB Explorer, 1000RTI (sold)
1969 Ford F250 4x4 Crewcab (sold)
1968 Chevy C10 Longbed, (sold)
1968 Chevy L78 Camaro SS
1966 Yenko Stinger, YS-100
1937 GMC 2.5-ton cab/chassis (sold)

#16 OFFLINE   BORG

BORG

Blue Oval Enthusiast

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,149 posts
  • Joined 19-September 99

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

I think the single largest problems with customers with touch screens, is they do not let them complete a function before they are punching other buttons. Then they complain that the screens aren't doing what they want them to do. It is a familiarity thing that will get better over time.

The funny thing being, I find the touch screen in the Explorer to be much easier to deal with than the one on my Kindle, or my husbands Droid. They are so oversensitive that it is incredibly easy to accidentally end up where you don't want to be. I would never want the screen in my vehicle to be like that.

That's because the Ford system is very laggy, the customer shouldn't have to be patient with the interface, this is a very old problem.

Ford's touch screens are by far the worst I've used, and I've used them all.  The touch force to use the screen is very unpredictable.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  I spend too much time wondering if the system is just lagging or I didn't apply the right force this time.  I can understand the need reduced sensitivity, but Ford has calibrated their systems very poorly.  It's just a complete turd, I genuinely hate the system at this point and I really don't want to buy another one.  I mean my navigation system took 5 minutes to 'compute' a 12 minute route today.  It did the same thing a day before.  And don't get my started on Bluetooth Audio.  Nothing works right or works well.  The only thing that is trouble free are the climate controls.  It's enough to drive me to a Merc next time. 

Edited by BORG, 24 May 2013 - 11:58 AM.

• svtenthusiast and EBFlex like this

#17 OFFLINE   RichardJensen

RichardJensen

Does whatever a SpiderPig does

• 35,312 posts
  • Joined 02-September 04
  • Current Vehicle:2000 Mercury Sable

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

Ford's touch screens are by far the worst I've used, and I've used them all.

No they aren't and no you haven't.

photo-thumb-15254.jpg

#18 OFFLINE   BORG

BORG

Blue Oval Enthusiast

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,149 posts
  • Joined 19-September 99

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

No they aren't and no you haven't.

U-Connect, MyLink (just yesterday in fact), CUE, iDrive, Toyota's, Lexus, Audi MMI....keep naming them. 

• EBFlex likes this

#19 OFFLINE   RichardJensen

RichardJensen

Does whatever a SpiderPig does

• 35,312 posts
  • Joined 02-September 04
  • Current Vehicle:2000 Mercury Sable

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

You've used all of those systems for three years, have you? I don't believe it.

Further, your universal claim that Ford's touch screens are the "worst" and that you've used 'every' touch screen was hardly limited to vehicles.

Finally, Ford will never please you because you are one who cannot be pleased--and if you dispute this claim, please furnish evidence of you being pleased with anything thta doesn't have an Apple logo on it.

• Hugh likes this

photo-thumb-15254.jpg

#20 OFFLINE   NickF1011

NickF1011

Moderator Shmoderator

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,712 posts
  • Joined 13-September 04

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

I used the navigation on my Edge several times yesterday and it worked flawlessly. The response rate was pretty solid and entering destinations was far less aggravating than in the past prior to the 3.5.1 update. Lag was minimal. Just thought I'd share. :)
  • Hugh likes this
Current Rides:
2011 Ford Edge Sport AWD

Previous Rides:
2004 Mazda 6s
1995 Saturn SL2
1993 Ford Taurus LX
1987 Ford Taurus GL