Daytime Running Lights Avail on 13 MKZ w/ software patch!

Ok, this has been very helpful. I just sent an email to my service manager to make sure that they know how to enable this. If they dont I will use the contact information above to get them to talk to a service organization that has performed this work.

One thing I was unclear about, it appeared that on the preceding page there was some discussion about two settings for the DRL's one low and one high. I think the overall consensus was the High setting looked better? I am understanding that right XG?

Yes its' high and the turn signal blinks the LED out like it does on the AUdi's. They tried to charge me at firts but the GM ands Service Manager ok'ed it for free after all my complaining about it in the first place.

Edited by xgman

All this angst about a few little lights that don't help you see at night......

It`s just about choices and options and Ford`s stubbornness to accommodate the few of us that desire the DRL feature. KIndly explain the rational that Fleet Buyers can order the Daytime Running Lights as a stand alone feature as option # 942 for $45, but Retail buyers most go through this aggravation to have their DRL`s enabled/activated which amounts to a mouse click changing a BMC feature. Just except the $45 and end it already! No one from Ford Media, Corporate, Project Design, or Consumer Affairs will return so much as an email to explain their Policy? Must one contact Alan Mulally or Bill Ford Jr to get an explanation? Perhaps even they don`t have answer.

Yes its' high and the turn signal blinks the LED out like it does on the AUdi's. They tried to charge me at firts but the GM ands Service Manager ok'ed it for free after all my complaining about it in the first place.

Yep, got mine turned on XG and they ended up not charging me a dime. SWEET.

It's bad enough . . . . Most rear bumper parts down to the frame need to be replaced and maybe some trunk straigtheing. Sickens me. Same thing happend to my 11 Hybrid a couple years back. People just don't pay attention on the highway anymore. 7 million gadgets to distract them. I'm just hoping that no metal has to be painted or replaced and only the plastic bumper cover gets painted.

Edited by xgman

xgman; The DRL`s even when activated can`t help with rear end collisions. Just alerts uncoming traffic that your vehicle is coming at them from the opposite direction. Too much gadgets and technology (including) SYNC and MFT with Texting, Talking, Tweeting, etc. Funny, its against the law not to be wearing Seat Belts and one can technically get pulled over and cited. Talking and texting while driving which is as dangerous as DWI or worse, no problem. Blame the Politicians, they are the biggest abusers so they don`t wanna change the Laws! More big Government intrusion on our Liberties, huh?

xgman; The DRL`s even when activated can`t help with rear end collisions. Just alerts uncoming traffic that your vehicle is coming at them from the opposite direction. Too much gadgets and technology (including) SYNC and MFT with Texting, Talking, Tweeting, etc. Funny, its against the law not to be wearing Seat Belts and one can technically get pulled over and cited. Talking and texting while driving which is as dangerous as DWI or worse, no problem. Blame the Politicians, they are the biggest abusers so they don`t wanna change the Laws! More big Government intrusion on our Liberties, huh?

Laws already exist to cover all types of distracted driving whether it's drinking or eating or putting on makeup. They just aren't enforced. It's the law in GA to have your headlamps on when raining but it's never enforced and at least 10%-20% of vehicles drive in the rain with no lights. More laws are not the answer if the current ones aren't being enforced.

Laws already exist to cover all types of distracted driving whether it's drinking or eating or putting on makeup. They just aren't enforced. It's the law in GA to have your headlamps on when raining but it's never enforced and at least 10%-20% of vehicles drive in the rain with no lights. More laws are not the answer if the current ones aren't being enforced.

akirby; Here in Florida (certain) Traffic Laws are selectively enforced. Red Light Running, forgetaboutit. Unless they have installed Red Light Camera`s, which they have done in certain Communities throughout the State, (zero) enforcement, period. Only after an At Fault Accident or Fatality has been documented on an accident report is written is a citation issued. Speeding and aggressive driving is subject to the whim and where you happen to be driving. Same with DWI, certain area`s Melbourne Beach, Satellite Beach, and surrounding communities look for Tourist`s leaving area Bars and Restaurants to help supplement local Tax Revenues. Other areas, no so much. Next time you happen to be on a Bus, elevated overlooking Cars driving along side, see the percent of Drivers Texting while driving. The (majority), yet Police don`t seem to be interested. Someone driving too slow or drifting from one lane to another, chances are they are on the Phone! Car manufacturers could easily wire Vehicles to activate Wipers when headlamps are put on, problem solved.

man o' man, THAT sucks!

were you moving when it happened, or stopped and they just plowed into you?

Moving and they just plowed into it on the beltway. People just tend to follow WAY too close in general. Dropped at body shop and parts oredered. Out of site out of mind for now. I miss the mileage now that I have the Ford Edge as a paid rental car. At least it still has Sirius.

Edited by xgman

Laws already exist to cover all types of distracted driving whether it's drinking or eating or putting on makeup. They just aren't enforced.

It's really rediculous that it seems like 3 out 4 drivers either have a phone to their ear, are texting or worse and even though it is against the law in Maryland, people know they have to be stopped for something else first in order to be cited. I drive so many highway rush hour miles every year, it's just the odds that I get hit. It seems even in the slow lane there is now way to avoid the idiots. Just wish it hadn't been 2 months into it on this new car. Sometimes I wonder if it is even worth having a nice car anymore. And don't get me started with parking lot door ding bandits.......

Moving and they just plowed into it on the beltway. People just tend to follow WAY too close in general. Dropped at body shop and parts oredered. Out of site out of mind for now. I miss the mileage now that I have the Ford Edge as a paid rental car. At least it still has Sirius.

I just don't get the tailgating thing or speeding for that matter. He'll, leave the house earlier if you're in that big of a hurry. When gas shot up in my area to $4.35 a gallon back in 06 I permanently changed my driving habits not that I ever tailgated although I may have eclipsed the speed limit from time to time.

I just don't get the tailgating thing or speeding for that matter. He'll, leave the house earlier if you're in that big of a hurry. When gas shot up in my area to $4.35 a gallon back in 06 I permanently changed my driving habits not that I ever tailgated although I may have eclipsed the speed limit from time to time.

Stentgraft95; If you lived down here in South Florida where you have an abundance of ill manners New Yorkers and New Jersey folks, many older and retired with nothing but time on their hands but they still drive aggressively as if they they were still working and punching a Time Clock. It has little to do with the price of gasoline. I believe its but an ingrained attitude of hostility and impatience. Unfortunately, old habits die hard and even living in the Tropics living a life of supposed leisure does`nt necessarily change ones driving behavior. Texting and Talking while driving certainly doesn`t help either.

Come up to New Jersey and and NYC. Makes DC drivers look like amateurs.

Thanks for shipping them down I 95 to Palm Beach County. I`m heading to Naples in SW Florida ASAP in Collier County before they can figure out how to go South on I 75 on the Gulf Coast!

• 8 months later...

XGman, could you also provide the labor code or the op code found on the invoice? Coincidentally enough, I called Ourisman Lincoln in Virginia and they said they would like the op or labor codes. I called Sheehy in Gaithersburg, and a tech is looking into it now.... Do you remember who you were working with when you had yours serviced?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
2013 Lincoln MKZ 2.0 Ecoboost. I have the THX sound, 19" wheels and panoramic roof. I'm not sure what package # that is.

I just got my lower LED's activated, it took 3 tries in total. I tried twice with the Astro Lincoln in Pensacola Florida but they said it couldn't be done. The first time I told the service guy (who was very professional btw) that I wanted the DRL's activated and pointed to the lower LED's. He said the service tech couldn't find it in the computer and it wasn't an option for my model. The next time I told him to tell the service rep to check the Daytime Driving Safety menu but once again he said the service tech could not find the option to enable.

I relocated a couple of weeks ago to Marietta GA and I had to take my car in for a gas smell (it turned out to be a leaking fuel pump). I asked the service manager at Pugmire Lincoln of Marietta to activate the lower LEDs and told him it should be in the Daytime Driving Safety menu. Sure enough they did it. Apparently they already knew how to do it, because he said they normally charge $60 to activate the DRLs.

The lower LED's (signature LED) are on only in drive and are on even if the headlight knob is turned to the off position (circle).

So to summarize, 2013 MKZ lower LED's can definitely be enabled even if your car is NOT a hybrid. But it all comes down to how knowledgeable the service tech is. Here's a pic of my car and the service receipt. As you can see the parking lights are not on but the lower LED's are.

post-56523-0-60845300-1482884597_thumb.jpg

post-56523-0-25515100-1482884606_thumb.jpg

In my experience, the biggest problem is people cruising in the passing lane oblivious or simply can't be bothered to move over for the traffic behind them. It's a chronic problem, leads to a lot of road rage.

Would solve most of our traffic problems actually if people got out of the fast lane