Daytime Running Lights Avail on 13 MKZ w/ software patch!

I just called it a patch. I think what it actually was is that Ford just gave the instructions to the dealership tech that were previously not available otherwise. So luckily we didn't need the fleet style junction box which never made any sense to me anyway.

xgman; IMO there is no such thing as a Fleet Vehicle Junction Box nor a Fleet Vehicle Body Control Module that is any different either. I`m quite certain that even the Ford Vehicles built for Export to Canada have the identical Junction Box & BCM. Someone on the Assembly Line simply uses their IDS Programmer an "clicks" enable/activate for DRL`s. Not a paid deal for Fleet Option Code # 942 $45 for the click of a Mouse.

Phil, I'm going to agree with you. The technician that adjusted my light setting searched and searched and found nothing regarding instructions from Ford on turning on the LED's. Evidently he found no warning indicating him not to activate them as they are very straight shooters as a dealer and he would've told me about it. I appreciated his efforts and quite frankly everyone should be lucky enough to find a dealer as good as what I stumbled across 7 years ago. Hence the 2 hour drive one way.

I agree. The question is WHY? Why is Ford so stingy about this option? It doesn't make much sense unless it somehow effects the advertised gas mileage. Why else would they care, unless some Ford bureaucrat has something against DRL's. Weird....

What I have noticed is that the DRL's shine at least twice as bright as the LED eyebrows do when in normal light mode which seem to be the case with the parking lights setting also. Very bright. I'm a bit worried about early burn out and I think I even see a possible placebo effect on gas mileage already. (probably just in my head or driving style fluctuation) I have also noticed that like the Audi and some other models with full time DRL's, when you use your turn signal, the DRL on that side turns off while the turn signal is blinking on that side. I guess that is so the turn signal stands out more or something. Anyway, I'm glad I switched them on none the less as, but am going to ask just in case if the high brightness can be turned down to same as normal, just for the sake of longevity and battery drain? Maybe I'm over thinking this. I mean the level of brightness on the Lexus, Audi etc ones are comparable.

I would think twice before having the signature lights turned back to original dimness for this reason. Today I saw 3 things I have been hoping to see for a long time, and they all came at once. In Murphy, NC, I saw a car approaching me on a city street about a quarter mile away. I first recognized it as a new MKZ because of the signature lights (this was the very first MKZ other than my own that I have seen anywhere since I'm in a rural area). But I quickly realized that the lights were FAR more visible to me than my normal brightness lights were when I observed them in my mirror as my wife followed me in our car a few weeks ago. As the car neared, I also realized that it was my car's "twin", same color and same wheels. I watched the rear of it as it passed me and the taillights were NOT on, meaning that the extra bright signature lights were apparently DRLs I didn't catch the tag state ID, but I'll bet it was a Canadian car since the driver was a very elderly lady, and I doubt she had battled Lincoln as you have to get her DRLs activated. Seeing how effective they were, and knowing how ineffective my regular ones are, I am going to try very hard to get my lights modified the same way.

Edited by Ghostrider009

I would think twice before having the signature lights turned back to original dimness for this reason. Today I saw 3 things I have been hoping to see for a long time, and they all came at once. In Murphy, NC, I saw a car approaching me on a city street about a quarter mile away. I first recognized it as a new MKZ because of the signature lights (this was the very first MKZ other than my own that I have seen anywhere since I'm in a rural area). But I quickly realized that the lights were FAR more visible to me than my normal brightness lights were when I observed them in my mirror as my wife followed me in our car a few weeks ago. As the car neared, I also realized that it was my car's "twin", same color and same wheels. I watched the rear of it as it passed me and the taillights were NOT on, meaning that the extra bright signature lights were apparently DRLs I didn't catch the tag state ID, but I'll bet it was a Canadian car since the driver was a very elderly lady, and I doubt she had battled Lincoln as you have to get her DRLs activated. Seeing how effective they were, and knowing how ineffective my regular ones are, I am going to try very hard to get my lights modified the same way.

For those who wonder what the difference looks like between having the front bumper LED accent lights in conventional (on with parking lights/headlights) or daytime running lights (DRL) mode, here are some comparison shots of my Canadian MKZ (note the VERY clear difference in brightness, the DRLs are absolutely beautiful):

CONVENTIONAL MODE

22-3ed37de.jpg

23-3ed3827.jpg

DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS MODE (only come on when the vehicle's transmission is on D or R, I believe)

24-3ed3839.jpg

25-3ed3849.jpg

Edited by VirtualAmerican

Odd isn`t it if Ford has decided to (finally) enable and activate Daytime Running Lights on MY 2014 Lincoln`s (if true), why they don`t do the same for their entire Line of Vehicles. If equipping all MY 2014 US Spec Fords with standard DRL`s like Canadian Vehicles is too bold a move, at least make them available for (non-Fleet) Retail Buyers as an option? CAFE Standards and the possibility of losing .05 MPG is their rationale?

Odd isn`t it if Ford has decided to (finally) enable and activate Daytime Running Lights on MY 2014 Lincoln`s (if true), why they don`t do the same for their entire Line of Vehicles. If equipping all MY 2014 US Spec Fords with standard DRL`s like Canadian Vehicles is too bold a move, at least make them available for (non-Fleet) Retail Buyers as an option? CAFE Standards and the possibility of losing .05 MPG is their rationale?

DRL's are disabled for CAFE testing. I can't figure out why Ford can't just do what Chrysler does on the 300/GC -- you can enable or disable them yourself in the Uconnect system.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Lincoln has heard the preference of having them on in the states. My dealer emailed me today saying they ordered the 14 MY and they will be standard, as I think was already pointed out here. I had mine done 2 weeks ago and have received numerous compliments.

I need some help here. Who is your dealer? My dealer (in Georgia) is having trouble getting the DRL's on. Could he call someone at your dealer and let them tell him how?

Thanks

Charles

my dealer: Sheehy Ford/Lincoln in Gaithersburg, MD 1-877-845-0873

The service manager did tell me that although they agreed to do it, they were not necessarily promoting it to a wide audience. Not sure why. I think this is one of the cases where you have to do some insisting. It might require an email fired off by the "service manager" to their Lincoln/Ford rep like was in my case. Pic below showing the result. Lights only comes on when car is in "Drive".

I need some help here. My dealer (in Georgia) is having trouble turning on the DRL's. Is there someone at your dealer that he could call and get instructions?

Thanks

Chalres

Well this whole situation in regards to the difficulty in enabling/activating the Daytime Running Lights on Ford and Lincoln (U.S. Spec) Vehicles is simply preposterous. I`m ordering my MY 2014 Ford C-MAX this September from the same Salesman at the same Dealership I have bought my last three Ford Vehicles. I instructed him to possibly "practice" how to perform this "Magic Trick" on one of their in-stock C-Max`s because when my 2014 Ford C-Max finally does arrive, I simply won`t take Delivery and leave the Dealership unless the DRL`s are activated and working. I think 6 or 7 months lead time is amble enough lead time to figure out Fords mystery of the DRL Sphinx!

reminds me of Apple's reluctance to make a bigger screen for the iphone when virtually everone else had moved up. Finally they gave in (sort of) and made it taller. Hopefully Ford will also see the light and get with the program.

Ok, this has been very helpful. I just sent an email to my service manager to make sure that they know how to enable this. If they dont I will use the contact information above to get them to talk to a service organization that has performed this work.

One thing I was unclear about, it appeared that on the preceding page there was some discussion about two settings for the DRL's one low and one high. I think the overall consensus was the High setting looked better? I am understanding that right XG?

Ok, this has been very helpful. I just sent an email to my service manager to make sure that they know how to enable this. If they dont I will use the contact information above to get them to talk to a service organization that has performed this work.

One thing I was unclear about, it appeared that on the preceding page there was some discussion about two settings for the DRL's one low and one high. I think the overall consensus was the High setting looked better? I am understanding that right XG?

On Canadian MKZs like mine, if you're on the DRLs, the setting is the higher one and the light right under your turn signal will turn off briefly if you activate it, then turn back on (not with hazards though). If you're on the parking/accent lights when your headlights are on, they shine at a lower intensity. The fact that they're at a higher intensity than the accent lights is what fills the purpose of DRLs, and they look much nicer that way.

Simply amazing when you think about it. I`m assuming that both the U.S. and Canadian Spec Vehicles are being assembled on the (same) Production Line. With basically identical safety and emission controls (exception California) and some New England States that have opted for California stricter standards, why Ford does`nt equip DRL`s for both Countries. I know certain Trim and Option Packages vary between U.S. and Canadian destined delivery but other then having "bilingual" Decals on Canadian Units, why not set the BCM the same way?