Daytime Running Lights Avail on 13 MKZ w/ software patch!

I don't know if my incessant whining made the difference, but my dealer called with a bulletin that explains how to software program the DRL's on. The bulletin was worded kind of like "alright, enough already, we will allow the DRL's to be turned on on this 2013 MKZ, but, no warranty associated with the fix. (huh?) W'ell see how it goes and what they charge for the shop time.

• Like 1

I don't know if my incessant whining made the difference, but my dealer called with a bulletin that explains how to software program the DRL's on. The bulletin was worded kind of like "alright, enough already, we will allow the DRL's to be turned on on this 2013 MKZ, but, no warranty associated with the fix. (huh?) W'ell see how it goes and what they charge for the shop time.

Let me know is they were able to find the "magic" fix for enabling/activating your DRL`s through the Vehicle BCM using their IDS Programmer and the Cars Smart Junction Box. In the 2013 Ford C-MAX Service Guide its specifically states that the Daytime Running Lights (ARE) in the Body Control Module Parameters are (Can) be enabled/activated. Rumors that beginning in Model Year 2013 Ford removed the software to make these changes is so far, simple rumor. Kindly Post if your successful. It took all of 10 minutes on my 2011 Ford Fiesta to activate the DRL`s!

Let me know is they were able to find the "magic" fix for enabling/activating your DRL`s through the Vehicle BCM using their IDS Programmer and the Cars Smart Junction Box. In the 2013 Ford C-MAX Service Guide its specifically states that the Daytime Running Lights (ARE) in the Body Control Module Parameters are (Can) be enabled/activated. Rumors that beginning in Model Year 2013 Ford removed the software to make these changes is so far, simple rumor. Kindly Post if your successful. It took all of 10 minutes on my 2011 Ford Fiesta to activate the DRL`s!

Yea, if this works then I need to know what to tell my dealer.

When I picked up my car the sales manager told me that he’s heard complaints about the LED DRL’s (or lack thereof) across the product line from customers.

Yea, if this works then I need to know what to tell my dealer.

When I picked up my car the sales manager told me that he’s heard complaints about the LED DRL’s (or lack thereof) across the product line from customers.

The LED`s and DRL`s are two different issues. Daytime Running Lights can be incorporated into the regular Headlamps at no extra cost.

The LED`s and DRL`s are two different issues. Daytime Running Lights can be incorporated into the regular Headlamps at no extra cost.

That's where I get a bit confused over what people are asking for. Do they want:

A. The LED accent lights (where the turn signals are) enabled full time

or

B. The headlights or some part thereof on at a reduced intensity

I have a feeling most around here are asking for A, whereas B is what Ford is talking about when referencing DRL's.

Some vehicles use either the Low Beams or sometimes the High Beams of the regular Headlamps that are illuminated at 80% output all the time when the engine is running except when the vehicle is in Park. They are (on) regardless if the Headlamp switch is utilized. The Headlamps are (on) but the Tail Lights are (off) in this position. Lately, the more fashionable decorative LED`s have been used as Daytime Running Lights instead of the regular Headlamps. They both can achieve the same effect making Vehicles easier to see to oncoming traffic during the Daytime specially during very Sunny conditions much like what Motorcycles have done for years. I`m just seeking to have regular DRL`s that utilize the Headlamp assembly that Ford offers on (all) of its Vehicles thats just a $45 option Code # 942 but requires a valid "FIN" Number and is for Fleet Purchase Only, not available for Retail Purchase. WHY? Another Subject for "Unsolved Mysteries"!

Lately, the more fashionable decorative LED`s have been used as Daytime Running Lights instead of the regular Headlamps.

On virtually every other car manufacturer on the planet except Ford. But then again Ford is "special" right? . . . . .

On virtually every other car manufacturer on the planet except Ford. But then again Ford is "special" right? . . . . .

I have been a loyal Ford buyer for decades. If Ford for some odd reason doesn`t want to equip its US Spec Vehicles with DRL`s even though its a programable feature in their Vehicles Body Control Module, fine. At least permit it to be activated as a $45 Option like Fleet Buyers or let the damn Dealers click it on for those that desire it!

Success! $60 shop time charge to program (should be free really) at the Lincoln/Ford dealer, and they now have the correct software patch instructions to have the led's on whenever the car is in drive. Looks nice!

Do you know what is included in the software patch? Do the headlamps, accent lights, brake lights are lit or not. Basically what is on when DRL is enabled. For me I prefer just the accent lamps.

It's just the lower front accent led's on, when in drive, and nothing else. (the way you would have expected it to be from the factory) No settings added in the dash control panel which would have been nice if you want to turn it on/off. They ended up doing mine for free. If your dealer doesn't know about this yet, insist, they read me the memo from Lincoln they received via email.

Edited by xgman

It's just the lower front accent led's on, when in drive, and nothing else. (the way you would have expected it to be from the factory) No settings added in the dash control panel which would have been nice if you want to turn it on/off. They ended up doing mine for free. If your dealer doesn't know about this yet, insist, they read me the memo from Lincoln they received via email.

Was this so called "Software Patch" information something you can attach to a "link" or were they simply able to find the DRL` option in the Body Control Module and using their IDS Programmer to simply enabled/activated the feature. If a specific "Software Patch" was needed to access your DRL`s, can you provide your Dealership should my Service Department need assistance in doing the (fix) on my Vehicle? I`m looking to activating my Headlamps at a reduced illumination level as my DRL`s since its has no LED`s. Perhaps the (fix) is different for these issues?

Great thanks for the info. I will let them know the next time I bring in the car.

Odd that Ford makes it so difficult to utilize the DRL`s as an option, you think? Its like needing the "special codes" to initiate a nuclear attack to activate Weapons of Mass Destruction! Guess those possessing valid "FIN" Numbers for Fleet Purchase are not considered "Enemy Combatants".

I'm guessing the patch was in the IDS software to allow the dealer to access that feature in the BCM or it's new firmware for the BCM or both. Hard to tell.

Yes. The memo mentioned something about it being legal daytime lighting in the USA. I didn't even know there was such a thing. I also get the feeling that you still have to ask fairly aggressively for this or they won't offer it.

Edited by xgman

Yes. The memo mentioned something about it being legal daytime lighting in the USA. I didn't even know there was such a thing. I also get the feeling that you still have to ask fairly aggressively for this or they won't offer it.

I don`t want to beat this issue to death any longer (but), this nonsense that allowing the DRL`s to be enabled/activated on US Spec Ford Vehicles using the BCM and the IDS Programmer would still be (legal) Daytime Running Lights for the USA, (not Canada) is BS! Are the Fleet Ordered Vehicles that were special ordered with valid FIN Numbers with option # 942 DRL`s for $45 not (also) "Legal" for USA? Bet if you lived near the Canadian Border and drove your Ford Vehicle into a Dealership up there, the mystery of the IDS ( software patch) or (new firmware) for the BCM would`nt exist. Hard to believe that identical Vehicles for both Countries are made on the same production line. Huge Warning Decals must be affixed to the Vehicle`s during production to assure a fatal mistake of a DRL installation does not occur.

What I have noticed is that the DRL's shine at least twice as bright as the LED eyebrows do when in normal light mode which seem to be the case with the parking lights setting also. Very bright. I'm a bit worried about early burn out and I think I even see a possible placebo effect on gas mileage already. (probably just in my head or driving style fluctuation) I have also noticed that like the Audi and some other models with full time DRL's, when you use your turn signal, the DRL on that side turns off while the turn signal is blinking on that side. I guess that is so the turn signal stands out more or something. Anyway, I'm glad I switched them on none the less as, but am going to ask just in case if the high brightness can be turned down to same as normal, just for the sake of longevity and battery drain? Maybe I'm over thinking this. I mean the level of brightness on the Lexus, Audi etc ones are comparable.

Edited by xgman

I'm at the dealer right now. They're looking but can't figure out how to access the LED's. They've also not heard or been notified of a patch.

Perhaps xgman might share what Dealership`s Service Department was able to get the secret software code so others can obtain the same fix?

my dealer: Sheehy Ford/Lincoln in Gaithersburg, MD 1-877-845-0873

The service manager did tell me that although they agreed to do it, they were not necessarily promoting it to a wide audience. Not sure why. I think this is one of the cases where you have to do some insisting. It might require an email fired off by the "service manager" to their Lincoln/Ford rep like was in my case. Pic below showing the result. Lights only comes on when car is in "Drive".

post-48735-0-63104800-1369763575_thumb.jpg

Edited by xgman

They did it. It seems that was embedded but they got it. I told him at one point that it was okay but he was determined, he said he'd already been asked about it by several people and several other Ford vehicles. This was the technician not the salesman, but he said he was using me and my car as the guinea pig and he was determined. I feel bad after the long effort and I think the only reason he persisted was because it was a Lincoln. Still, what a great effort.

Note to those who want this done; I don't think there was anything released by Ford in the way of a memo or TSB.

The Mystery continues.....Does the Body Control Module have the ability to enable/activate the DRL`s with the IDS Programmer assuming the Electronics Technician knows what he`s doing or is a "Software Patch" needed to override the Program for US Spec Ford Vehicles. Chrysler makes it so easy with a simple plug in module that inserts into the Fuse Panel much like a Flasher devise to operate the directional signals.

I personally don’t believe there was a patch involved.

Two things first come to mind. When I first took Delivery in July of 2010 of my new 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback, the Service manager at the Dealership I purchased my Vehicle from told me that they attempted to activate/enable the DRL`s for me but despite several attempts, their Electronics Service Tech Genius was unable to do so. I later discovered then once the BCM is accessed with the IDS Programmer there is a cryptic "Warning" instructing that no changes are allowed to Factory Settings and (not) to proceed any further without proper authorization. Perhaps that is the "glitch" that prevents DRL`s from being enabled/activated. A month later at another small Ford Dealership out of town I asked if they could attempt to activate the DRL`s. They said, they would gladly try. Another Electronics Tech Mechanic took 10 minutes or less and drove the vehicle out of the Service Bay with the Front Headlamps on. I asked if they also failed to activate the DRL`s? He laughed and said, "Check your rear tail lamps and notice that they are not illuminated and off while your Front Headlamps are on though under lower output. A month later I returned to my original selling Dealership and got both my Salesman and the Service Manager to come out and check out my Fiesta. Both just shrugged their shoulders and said that they could`nt explain why someone else was able to activate the DRL`s and they could`nt. Another Electronics Tech Mechanic just happened to be with us overhearing our conversation. He simply laughed and said, either the first Tech did`nt know what he was attempting to do or was told (not) to do it. I agree, I believe (that) is in fact the mystery Software or Hardware (patch).