Custom Search

2019 Lincoln Aviator Introduced Here !

Welcome to Blue Oval Forums

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Blue Oval Forums.  You must first register to create topics and post replies. Registration is a quick and easy process and only takes a minute.  Be apart of Blue Oval Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images
  • Use the Shout feature and more. . .
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ford owners sue, saying EcoBoost engine defective

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ChuckZ

ChuckZ

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Joined 31-December 05

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

I owned a brand new 1985 Turbo T-bird, so I'm slightly familiar with turbos, but after 28 years, the technology obviously has changed. I wonder if what they're experiencing is as simple as a gasoline blend change? By that I mean, maybe they started using the premium blend at first (as recommended by Ford), but later decided to go to the regular blend to save money and that may have caused the computer to malfunction...thus the problem that they're experiencing?

ChuckZ

Harvest, AL

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   papilgee4evaeva

papilgee4evaeva

La Voz de Razón

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts
  • Joined 07-September 07
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2007 Infiniti M35x; 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium; 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

I owned a brand new 1985 Turbo T-bird, so I'm slightly familiar with turbos, but after 28 years, the technology obviously has changed. I wonder if what they're experiencing is as simple as a gasoline blend change? By that I mean, maybe they started using the premium blend at first (as recommended by Ford), but later decided to go to the regular blend to save money and that may have caused the computer to malfunction...thus the problem that they're experiencing?

ChuckZ

Harvest, AL

Could also be varying levels of ethanol in fuels.  I suspect (though I can't confirm) that several of the cheapest gas stations use a mixture higher than E10 or maybe even a more hydrous ethanol product.  And since people tend to search out the least expensive gas, they go to these spots to fill up.

CURRENT VEHICLES

2007 Infiniti M35x, 126k (mine)

2013 Ford Fusion Titanium, 55K (wife's)

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, 138K (because kids)

PREVIOUS VEHICLES

2005 Buick Rainier CXL V8, 166K (mine; sold)

1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited, 188K (wife's; donated)

2001 Pontiac Bonneville SLE, 126K (the Cruise Missile; started getting gremlins, plus we outgrew it)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD, 111-160K+ (stupid odometer) (sold to make room for the Bonnie)
1995 Dodge Intrepid (wife's; almost everything that could go wrong did; towed away stealthily)

FUTURE VEHICLES?

Maybe a truck after some time...?

#23 OFFLINE   Extreme4x4

Extreme4x4

SheMember

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 2,101 posts
  • Joined 25-March 00
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Explorer Sport, 2008 F250 SD

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:59 AM

I run regular only in my Explorer Sport. I have put in 1 tank of premium in almost 9000 miles. Not so much as a hiccup. Temps have been upwards of 100 here already, also, and we live in the mountains, so are regularly doing hard pulls.

I think that there is a small and vocal group of people who have had quite a few problems with their EB F150's. However, I would also bet that if you were to look at the percentages vs numbers sold, it is not any higher than any other engines out there. There are ALOT of these engines out there. That is not to say that the people having the problems do not deserve to have their issues fixed. Or, that Ford should not be constantly looking to improve the package. However, it is obvious that they are doing just that.

I also think that there is a contingent of people that are so anxious to see the EB fail, due to some sort of weird V8's only mentality, that they will grasp at anything to try to prove their point that turbo V6's don't belong in trucks. Frankly, this has been going on since Ford announced the engine.

The reality being, if a manufacturer could get 2 gerbils to produce the power that people wanted...................... people would buy it. Short of the diehards, the vast majority just want great throttle response and good mileage. How that happens..................... they don't really care.

• jpd80 likes this
Gloria
2013 Ford Explorer Sport LOADED, and we love MFT
2008 Ford F250 4x4 Crewcab, shortbed, Lariat (Navigation and DVD) V10
2003 Mazda Tribute ES AWD, loaded (sold)
2001 Ford F150 Lightning (sold)
1993 Ford EB Explorer, 1000RTI (sold)
1969 Ford F250 4x4 Crewcab (sold)
1968 Chevy C10 Longbed, (sold)
1968 Chevy L78 Camaro SS
1966 Yenko Stinger, YS-100
1937 GMC 2.5-ton cab/chassis (sold)

#24 OFFLINE   chevys

chevys

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  • Joined 16-August 07

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

Goverment now looking into the matter.

http://www.detroitne...engine-problems

• EBFlex likes this

#25 OFFLINE   Edstock

Edstock

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,207 posts
  • Joined 22-April 04
  • Current Vehicle:2005 Pontiac Wave

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:57 PM

Goverment now looking into the matter.

Good. It will be resolved, and most of us will move on. :)

wing1small2.JPG

#26 OFFLINE   Extreme4x4

Extreme4x4

SheMember

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 2,101 posts
  • Joined 25-March 00
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Explorer Sport, 2008 F250 SD

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:34 AM

95 complaints out of 400,000 vehicles.

Ok.

Gloria
2013 Ford Explorer Sport LOADED, and we love MFT
2008 Ford F250 4x4 Crewcab, shortbed, Lariat (Navigation and DVD) V10
2003 Mazda Tribute ES AWD, loaded (sold)
2001 Ford F150 Lightning (sold)
1993 Ford EB Explorer, 1000RTI (sold)
1969 Ford F250 4x4 Crewcab (sold)
1968 Chevy C10 Longbed, (sold)
1968 Chevy L78 Camaro SS
1966 Yenko Stinger, YS-100
1937 GMC 2.5-ton cab/chassis (sold)

#27 OFFLINE   Bob Rosadini

Bob Rosadini

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts
  • Joined 15-October 99

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:38 AM

The damage of course is always the press.  Have Boston's (actually make that New England's) no 1 AM station on.  Headline teaser..."Ford has problems with F-150 blah blah."  Slow news day-no drive by shootings last night.  

#28 OFFLINE   Eel

Eel

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • Joined 14-March 05

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

#29 OFFLINE   jpd80

jpd80

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,591 posts
  • Joined 02-June 04
  • Current Vehicle:Falcon 302 V8

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

Yeah, I get the feeling that tis battle will be won and lost in the press.

Screaming headlines that 400,000 F150s being investigated  because 95 owners launch a class action suit.

I can't help feeling that Ford  marginalizing these few owners will cause it so much unnecessary grief.

How many times have we heard of a few  owners having inexplicable problems with normally fault free vehicles

surely in these instances, going the extra mile for the sake of good name and reputation is better than bad press.

Some will say that the effort isn't worth  the silence but gosh, look where we are now with negative publicity...

Edited by jpd80, 27 May 2013 - 03:10 PM.

• chevys likes this

#30 OFFLINE   kenp77

kenp77

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Joined 14-June 05

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

Yeah, I get the feeling that tis battle will be won and lost in the press.

Screaming headlines that 400,000 F150s being investigated  because 95 owners launch a class action suit.

I can't help feeling that Ford  marginalizing these few owners will cause it so much unnecessary grief.

How many times have we heard of a few  owners having inexplicable problems with normally fault free vehicles

surely in these instances, going the extra mile for the sake of good name and reputation is better than bad press.

Some will say that the effort isn't worth  the silence but gosh, look where we are now with negative publicity...

Ford is doing the same thing with the eco they did with the spark plug issue in the 04-07 5.4 is about time ford is held accountable!!

• EBFlex likes this

#31 OFFLINE   NickF1011

NickF1011

Moderator Shmoderator

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,712 posts
  • Joined 13-September 04
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Edge Sport, 1997 Mustang Cobra

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:15 PM

Ford is doing the same thing with the eco they did with the spark plug issue in the 04-07 5.4 is about time ford is held accountable!!

Don't really see where a parallel can be drawn there.
Current Rides:
2011 Ford Edge Sport AWD
1997 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra

Previous Rides:
2004 Mazda 6s
1995 Saturn SL2
1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4x2
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4
1993 Ford Taurus LX
1987 Ford Taurus GL

Moderator at TeamMustang.net

#32 OFFLINE   kenp77

kenp77

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Joined 14-June 05

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

Don't really see where a parallel can be drawn there.

I will see if Ican make it clearer for u the spark plug issue was simply a design flaw which ford never did one thing for us folks who were paying $800 for a plug change and I suspect the eco turbo intercooler is also a design flaw as there r thousands of turbo engines out there from various manufacturers with no issues!!!

• EBFlex likes this

#33 ONLINE   fordmantpw

fordmantpw

akirby's stunt double

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,227 posts
  • Joined 30-January 06
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • Current Vehicle:2017 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 PowerStroke Diesel

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

I will see if Ican make it clearer for u the spark plug issue was simply a design flaw which ford never did one thing for us folks who were paying $800 for a plug change and I suspect the eco turbo intercooler is also a design flaw as there r thousands of turbo engines out there from various manufacturers with no issues!!!

And sometimes design flaws are not found until there are tens or hundreds of thousands of vehicles on the road with tens of thousands of real-world miles on them.  It happens!  Tell me about a vehicle that has NEVER had a single design flaw and I'll show you a mirror so you can see a liar!

In case you have trouble with math...let's assume 100 thousand vehicles with 20 thousand miles each...that is 2 billion miles of real-world driving!  And we know there are lots more than 100k EB engines out there.

photo-thumb-15254.jpg

Future Vehicles
2020 Ford Explorer/Lincoln Aviator

Current Vehicles
'17 F350 Super Duty Crew Cab, Lariat, 4x4, 6.7L Diesel

'10 Mercury Milan

'09 Ford Flex Limited (wife's)

Past Vehicles
'08 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab, Lariat, 4x4, 6.4L Diesel
'05 Ford F150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 5.4 - sold @53k, not a single problem
'03 Ford Escape XLT
(wife's) Traded at 75k for '09 Flex
'99 Ford F150 XLT Regular Cab 4x4 5.4 - Sold @136k, then totaled by the new owner on the way to its new home :(
'96 Chevrolet Cavalier (wife's - she brought it into the marriage)
'86 Ford Bronco II XLT 4x4 5 Speed 2.9L - what a dog, and it cracked heads like no tomorrow. 150k+ on 4 engines

#34 OFFLINE   NickF1011

NickF1011

Moderator Shmoderator

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,712 posts
  • Joined 13-September 04
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Edge Sport, 1997 Mustang Cobra

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:30 AM

Yeah, and the place where there are no parallels is that Ford actually seems to have a handle on a solution for the Ecoboost design "flaw", if you would even call it that.
Current Rides:
2011 Ford Edge Sport AWD
1997 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra

Previous Rides:
2004 Mazda 6s
1995 Saturn SL2
1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4x2
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4
1993 Ford Taurus LX
1987 Ford Taurus GL

Moderator at TeamMustang.net

#35 OFFLINE   Bryan1

Bryan1

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts
  • Joined 19-September 10
  • Current Vehicle:Decline

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:44 AM

The intercooler is different than the spark plugs because the spark plugs is a maintenance item and they did come out with a fix.

Some people may have paid $800.00 for the change, but if they spent that much after the fix, they let themselves be taken advantage of by the

dealership. I agreed to pay the same amount as any other spark plug change whether the plugs broke or not.

The intercooler is not something that should be changed so I believe Ford will come out with a recall.

#36 OFFLINE   meyeste

meyeste

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 174 posts
  • Joined 13-August 05

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:19 AM

When they shut down and shudder its a pretty scary situation, shudder doesn't describe it. Its straight violent.

I hauled it in after being able to repeat the issue a few times in a row, but no parts on my SCREW F150 EB just a reflash and a pat on the ass. So far so good on the shudder. It also cleared up the off the line stumble that I now believe was a misfire. Rattles a little at slow speed and medium load (more misfiring I think). 

I'm pretty sure I won't be able to give this truck away in a few years, the shudder, engine rattles and the condition/smell of the oil and a ton of condensation under the oil cap makes me believe it won't be long for this world. 

Its cool though- I love the truck.  Try not to worry- try to believe it will be fine and its normal. 

This is not normal - add the VIN of your truck and someone will be able to tell you exactly what needs to be done. 

#37 OFFLINE   meyeste

meyeste

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 174 posts
  • Joined 13-August 05

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:18 AM

The damage of course is always the press.  Have Boston's (actually make that New England's) no 1 AM station on.  Headline teaser..."Ford has problems with F-150 blah blah."  Slow news day-no drive by shootings last night.  

I don't know of an actual F150 owner that makes these complaints - ask someone to provide the VIN of their truck, they won't provide it, because they are a Toyota or GM or RAM supporter, quite possibly a paid "blogger". I personally know 3 individuals with the 3.5 EB, all three are ecstatic about the engine, I have a V8 for a couple reasons - I don't drive all that much, sometimes I don't even exceed 200 miles in a month so mpg isn't that important to me, the sound of a V8 firing up is a pleasant change to the usual kids screaming and it may be therapeutic, perhaps I should claim my next truck as a "support vehicle", perhaps I could get it on the plane with me?? Tangents aside, "Chevy's" is a paid blogger as GM is looking for anyway to get people to buy their vehicles. The only people I know with a Chevy truck get them at 30% discounts and I am not kidding. My daughter's soccer coach just got one and is a Chevy guy, but not a moron, and knew Chevy was having such a hard time selling he literally got them to pay him - 30% off, to drive a Chevy. 

Edited by meyeste, 09 December 2016 - 11:44 AM.

#38 OFFLINE   tbone

tbone

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • Joined 10-October 05
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Raptor Supercrew

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:11 AM

I have had 4 eb 3.5s in my family, including my Explorer Sport. One is over 100k, one has 80k, and my Explorer has 60k. None of these have had any issues. The one F150, that was traded in had some trouble at 65k, possibly turbo related, but I don't recall. It was later traded with 90k after it was repaired. These engines have been pushed and we have been very happy with them.
  • twintornados likes this

#39 OFFLINE   Xbar

Xbar

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 123 posts
  • Joined 18-March 15
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2002 Ford Ranger

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:20 PM

Boy, this is an old thread! Came back to life once again. I can say that I was one of the owners that experienced the moisture shudder. I got a check engine light a week later and I took it in. It blew out one of the catalytic converters in the process. They replaced it, and put the baffle on the CAC and gave it the latest ECM reflash. Everything was back to working order, except that the reflash made it an absolute dog on performance.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service | DMCA ·