Programming extra key fob for Fusion Energi Titanium

TechOps

I purchased an extra key fob for the 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium. It is a "used" (but looks new) spare fob which I purchased from Ebay from the owner of a Fusion titanium. It is exactly the same part as the two my vehicle came with including remote start button, and the seller even left the metal key attached on the ring (my coworker's theory is that his/her car was repossessed and he just sold this for some extra cash).

I went through the programming process exactly as detailed in the owner's manual, but it didn't work. I tried once with my foot on the brake (so pressing start/stop actually makes the car ready to drive), and once with it off the brake.

Has anyone else had luck with programming an already-used key fob? Do I need to take the battery out first to let it de-program, or something like that? Any tips would be appreciated.

I did it with my 2010 but not with the new one.

There are 8 memory locations in the car for learning keys with the first two taken by the supplied keys. Each key has its own identity that is probably set by an RFID chip. All the programming process does is enter the new key's identity into the car's memory. You have to memorize the process. You can't do a step and then read the manual for the next step. There are very tight timing tolerances on how fast the steps must be done.

Thanks guys for the tips. @Murphy62 the manual says there are 8 slots for keyheads, or 4 slots for Intelligent Access key fobs (what I have). @akirby I was trying to do the steps exactly as written, but I will try again doing them faster. I figured the manual might be wrong, which is why I was asking here. :)

OK good news, folks. After 15 minutes of trying over and over, I got it to work. Here are my findings:

1. It seemed to work best when you actually follow the "leave the key there for 5 seconds" steps (or at least 3 seconds) to let the car read the key code.
  2. Watch the display to the left of the speedometer. It will actually show messages such as "Key program failed", which let me know I was at least on the right track.
  3. I believe you have to add one more "Push Start/Stop button" step at the end, to turn the vehicle back on. After a few more seconds, the final attempt was successful, it unlocked the doors, flashed the lights twice and displayed a success message on the console.
  4. I was happy to find that if you do the first part of the process with the 2 existing keys, it actually shows you the door locking code. This was useful since I lost the little wallet card with the code that the dealer gave me. :/
  5. You don't need to have your foot on the brake for this to work.
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

i purchased a used Intelligent Access key with the same Ford P/N & followed the instructions about 20-25 times without success.......

Trying again in the morning and was painful but I finally was able to program 2 more IAK's for my wife's Energi..... whew.

1. Place a programmed intelligent access key in the backup slot in the center console.

The key ring must be at the top with the buttons facing toward the rear.

2. Wait 5 seconds, and then press the START/STOP button.

3. Remove the intelligent access key.

4. Within 10 seconds, place a second programmed intelligent access key inthe backup slot and press the START/STOP button. 5. Wait 5 seconds, and then press the START/STOP button again.

6. Remove the intelligent access key.

7. Wait 5 seconds, then place the unprogrammed intelligent access key in the backup slot and press the START/STOP button.

Programming is now complete.

Definitely not 'user friendly' but success makes it all worth it.

Edited by SVOGT