Hybrid Titanium bicycle wheels value - 18" Polished Face with Flash Gray-Painted Pockets

neod192

I asked the parts manager at my dealer if they can swap my Titanium wheels with the 18" wheels available on the SE Luxury package "18" Premium Luster Nickel-Painted Aluminum". He said he would give me $100 for the standard wheel, but the Luxury package wheel is $400. Labor would be $20/wheel. The $100 is so low because nobody wants those wheels and the dealer would only be able to sell them if someone happens to come in with damaged wheels that need to be replaced.

So .. to replace the bicycle wheels with something semi-decent it would cost $1,280 : 400 x 4 + 20 x 4 - 100 x 4.

Has anyone else tried to trade-in the standard titanium wheels? How much were you offered for them?

PS. I believe the same wheels are standard on the gas Titanium.

Edited by neod192

You could have bought these for $749.

LOL, yup, but I don't want to buy new tires too :) I also want to stick with LRR tires on the Hybrid ...

I wonder how much I can get for the wheels on eBay ... I saw some reconditioned ones selling for about $300 each.

I also saw sets of the 18" wheels & tires I want for $1,400 & $1,700 ...

Edited by neod192

Well...I've been trying to sell mine, so far with no takers. I've been asking for $600 shipped, or $500 locally. So getting $400 as a trade in might be worth it so you don't have to deal with trying to sell them yourself. Same thing as selling/trading in your car. You won't get full market value for it, but it takes some of the hassle out.

Also, unless you stuck on getting the luxury rims, you can get the "motorcraft" version of the SE Appearance package for $200-$250 each.

Well...I've been trying to sell mine, so far with no takers. I've been asking for $600 shipped, or $500 locally. So getting $400 as a trade in might be worth it so you don't have to deal with trying to sell them yourself. Same thing as selling/trading in your car. You won't get full market value for it, but it takes some of the hassle out.

Also, unless you stuck on getting the luxury rims, you can get the "motorcraft" version of the SE Appearance package for $200-$250 each.

Thanks! I was looking at the luxury wheels because I figured they would be cheaper - WRONG! I'm going to start looking at aftermarket wheels instead (and probably take a 2 or so MPG hit). If I get them through my dealer (they can order them for me) I can still trade-in the bicycle ones :)

So you guys are talking about replacing the ugly 10" HyTi wheels with the 18" from the SE model or the 19" from the gas Titanium? I would go with the 18" spoke wheels from the SE. I would not want my MPG to suffer, and then not knowing for sure whether it's because of the 19" wheels or one of those units from hell that are out there... Are you guys positive that the dealership will accept trade in of the HyTi stock wheels for the 18" SE spoke wheels? I would be interested.

So you guys are talking about replacing the ugly 10" HyTi wheels with the 18" from the SE model or the 19" from the gas Titanium? I would go with the 18" spoke wheels from the SE. I would not want my MPG to suffer, and then not knowing for sure whether it's because of the 19" wheels or one of those units from hell that are out there... Are you guys positive that the dealership will accept trade in of the HyTi stock wheels for the 18" SE spoke wheels? I would be interested.

Yes, I spent over an hour with the parts manager yesterday - I was looking at replacing the ugly 18" titanium wheels with the 18" spoke wheels from the SE. Mileage wouldn't be affected, but the cost is wayyy too high. They will take the HyTi wheels as trade-ins, regardless of what wheel I end up going with - as long as I don't drive them through a Michigan winter season.

I would prefer to keep the Michelin Energy Saver LRR tires that came with my Fusion Energi, so I want to find some 17" wheels that look better than the 17" bicycle-spoke wheels that came on the Energi.

Should I ask the dealer to swap the Energi wheels for the base 5-spoke wheels on the SE? Or should I get some after-market wheels, that will probably be a lot lighter-weight than the SE wheels? Any opinions?

And will a Ford dealer buy after-market wheels for me and give me a trade-in on the Energi wheels, or is a Ford dealer limited to selling Ford wheels?