Cabin Filter

fuzzy1626

My last mustang had a cabin air filter and I never changed it. I sold it with over 80,000 miles and if it was clogged I never could tell a difference. I think some people are getting overly excited about changing it. Just my opinion.

You may not have been able to notice a difference, but as the filter becomes dirtier, the HVAC motor has to work harder to draw in fresh air, pretty obvious stuff which I'm sure you already know. I changed the filter in my 2010 Fusion after two summers and I was surprised how dirty it was. I'm not getting overly excited and I'll probably wait until after summer to change it, I just want to know how to change it and after all, it is recommended maintenance. There are so few repairs a DIY guy like me can do any more. I got my license in 1972, an age where you could buy a cheap, decent running car all the way from the 50's to the mid 60's. In 75 I bought a 64 or 65 Olds Dynamic 88 for $50.00 that I used as a winter car and it lasted me three years, it was quite a beater, but it ran great. If you had a set of tools and the where-with-all, you could do just about any repair. Not so today, at least for me. So anything I can still do myself I hold on to.

Edited by transitman

Here you go folks. Please note the title as it gives you the order/steps.

Hey Escapism. It looks like you received the same service DVD that I ordered as well (the pretty pictures look similar). I was surprised to not find a section on the service DVD detailing a standard oil change! Have you been able to find such a section on the DVD? Am I blind?

Thanks!

Hey Escapism. It looks like you received the same service DVD that I ordered as well (the pretty pictures look similar). I was surprised to not find a section on the service DVD detailing a standard oil change! Have you been able to find such a section on the DVD? Am I blind?

Thanks!

Could not find it either. hmmm...

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so has anyone actually taken out/seen the cabin filter? I ask because on another forum they said it is standard procedure that vehicles come from the factory WITHOUT a filter installed. I find this hard to swallow.

I have also been told that depending on the trim level you have will decide if you have one installed at the factory or not. So if you own an S or SE, I would check.

Edited by Escapism

OK, so I was curious. I had to see how bad and if I had one. HOLY CRAP!! What a PITA!! I don't think the dealer is going to offer to change your cabin filter voluntarily. Took me like 20 minutes cause I didn't want to break/scratch anything. And that took some concentration. Never in my life have I seen a more difficult filter replacement, and my assessment is including the engine air filter. But I learned a few things. Not sure how some of the fasteners/clips are going to stand up. With 14,000 miles on my Escape, my filter was pretty dirty. But I've seen alot worse.

post-48549-0-06275600-1368566309_thumb.jpg

post-48549-0-82654700-1368566325_thumb.jpg

post-48549-0-70851700-1368566338_thumb.jpg

post-48549-0-22867300-1368566355_thumb.jpg

post-48549-0-78954100-1368566365_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

X2.. So all the connections on the BCM have to be disconnected.. :sad:

Yep. After you disconnect all 8 connectors(which I labeled in order) you then have to remove the chassis they were connected to. What makes this even more mind-boggling is disconnecting the BCM does some weird things to the electronics of the vehicle. For example, the radio was on a random station when i reconnected everything. Also, while removing the connectors, the HVAC vents were going a little haywire. Seemed to reset itself after I reconnected everything and started the vehicle.

Wow, I'm kind of shocked as how difficult that looks to be. I remember with my old Civic and old Element, I just had to take down two clips in the glove box and the filter was easily accessible to change. I do think I'm up for the challenge though. You said the electronic went a little haywire - did it have any impact on SYNC functionality?

Wow, I'm kind of shocked as how difficult that looks to be. I remember with my old Civic and old Element, I just had to take down two clips in the glove box and the filter was easily accessible to change. I do think I'm up for the challenge though. You said the electronic went a little haywire - did it have any impact on SYNC functionality?

Not that I could tell. Everything is fine. Just very strange for a simple cabin filter replacement.

From where did you order the DVD and what did it cost?

Thanks!

I recieved my service DVD on Saturday and the first thing I looked up was this. You do have to remove the BCM and all the other stuff as described above. A real PITA!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Replaced mine today... need a T15 screwdriver for the top 2 screws of the glove box and the access door to the filter (one screw), also a 8mm socket and wrench for the 2 screws under the glove box. Taking my time not to break anything, it took me 50 minutes. Engineers need to rethink this... most other cars take 2 minutes... Thanks to all for the pictures and instructions.

• 1 month later...
How long did it take you.

I know It looks filthy, was it completely plugged? If you held it up to a light, would any light get through?

It wasn't totally clogged, but it was ready for the pasture. Took me like 45 minutes. This engineer should be in the movie "Jackass". Just sayin......

• 3 weeks later...
This engineer should be in the movie "Jackass".

While I thought that initially, engineers probably had little choice. The filter has to be in the intake air flow and out of the weather so it doesn't get wet. So where else could it go? At best reroute one or more of the electrical connectors.

While I thought that initially, engineers probably had little choice.

That's usually the case and it's usually a combination of circumstances that lead to these designs, some totally unrelated. I remember when the Lincoln LS came out with no transmission dipstick - everyone was calling it a "sealed transmission" and talking about how they engineered it so you didn't need to check the fluid level, etc. etc. One of our inside sources told us that they tried to put in a dipstick but there simply wasn't enough room in the engine bay for it on the V8 so they got rid of it. There was nothing different about the transmission at all - just a space issue.

My guess is the European vehicles don't normally have a cabin air filter so the glovebox wasn't designed for easy removal and access to the filter. That will probably be fixed on the next gen.

I'm sure calling the engineer a jackass is a little harsh. Best thing to do is have the engineers work in the shop for about 5 years and have them perform the work. I started off as an apprentice and worked my way up through the ranks to journeyman cabinetmaker. i would like to think it makes me a better estimater, detailer and project manager due to my humble beginnings.

At any rate, I also broke one of those little plastic clips (orange)that hold on the panel to the right of the glove box. No big deal, theres a bunch of them in there. ordered more from Ford Parts and I got a bag of four of them. the ones that came in are white, but same clip.

I disconnected the battery before unhooking the electrical plugs from the BCM - didn't want to fry anything. Just be sure to crank the car within 5 minutes or so of reconnecting the battery (or so I've heard) Also for those who (like me) at first don't think of it, pulling the weatherstrip back a bit around the side panel makes it easier to take out, and makes those clips easier to deal with also. 9 months old, mine was very dirty so I'm glad I changed it. Took about 30 minutes first time, next time will go in about 15-20.

Thanks very much for posting those pictures.