Curt hitch installation on 2013 SE 2.0

ATC Buckeye

I installed the Curt 1.25" hitch on my 2013 SE today as I plan to use it for a bike rack. Here are the installation instructions and pictures.

Here's the hitch itself:

20130328_154126_zps5f71e668.jpg

Here's the installation hardware:

20130329_113717_zps5cddf2f6.jpg

The install is very straightforward with no drilling or grinding.

First, remove the nuts and screws that hold the black plastic cowling behind the painted bumper. Remove cowling and stash it in your garage somewhere.

20130329_113442_zps5b95126a.jpg

20130329_113513_zps808c14eb.jpg

Here are the holes you will use to mount the hitch. Use the included fish wire to fish two bolts and two square bolt spacers into the frame and back out through the mounting holes. There is one hole large enough to fit the spacers through.

20130329_113958_zps17f2175d.jpg

Bolts and spacers in place:

20130329_115331_zps4a3b3acc.jpg

Repeat on other side. Same exact procedure.

Lift the hitch into position on one side and finger tighten the mounting nuts

20130329_120352_zps68f089c3.jpg

Repeat on other side.

20130329_121219_zps3bb1c4ca.jpg

Use a 3/4" socket wrench and tighten bolts to 110 ft/lbs. My wrench stops at 75 so I went with the "as tight as I could get them" torque setting.

Recheck bolts periodically. That's it!

Finished pictures. I'm surprised at how good it looks. The mount is completely hidden from view and the receiver itself is tucked away nicely. It's almost totally hidden under there. It was either this or a big Thule roof rack, for me this was a no brainer. I do not want a big roof rack on my sleek new car. Plus I'm totally that guy that will drive into the garage with my bike on the roof.

20130329_121308_zpsefba61d0.jpg

20130329_121318_zps7a5a2aa8.jpg

20130329_121849_zpsa6e1f10d.jpg

20130329_122009_zpsc102bd03.jpg

20130329_122018_zpsc876a91e.jpg

20130329_140314_zps03c84e78.jpg

I ordered it from Auto Anything for a very reasonable price. Highly recommended.

Edited by ATC Buckeye
  • Like 3

Double thanks! It sure makes me confident enough to install one by summer. Looks a lot better than I expected. Very subdued.

I am right in there with you of the guy who would figure out a way to do $10,000 of damage to a $2,000 bike, a $500 rack, a garage door, and a brand new car!

Do you mind sharing the Curt Hitch pricing? I have played around with the AutoAnything phone game for discounts when their coupons won't work on the web site. Did you order a mount with it? They are showing three options with the lowest price (by $1.60) for ordering the standard ball mount rather than the hitch alone.

Thanks again.

I installed the Curt 1.25" hitch on my 2013 SE today as I plan to use it for a bike rack. Here are the installation instructions and pictures.

First, remove the nuts and screws that hold the black plastic cowling behind the painted bumper. Remove cowling and stash it in your garage somewhere.

Thanks for the pics and install instructions.

Any concern that without that "black plastic cowling" under there holding the bottom of the bumper, that the bumper will "catch air" or debris/snow in winter?

Thanks for the pics and install instructions.

Any concern that without that "black plastic cowling" under there holding the bottom of the bumper, that the bumper will "catch air" or debris/snow in winter?

I was wondering the same thing. From what I understand, the fascia on the MKZ is there for some aerodynamic reason, so removing it would compromise that to a certain extent. Of course, putting a bike rack on a car already changes the air flow.

Thanks for posting the photos! I too am looking for a better way to carry my bike and am thinking this may be the best option. I'm just sad we don't get something like Dodge has made for the Charger, where you can actually remove the receiver so that when not in use you can't even tell the car has a hitch installed. Here's a link to one on an '11 Charger; my dad has pretty much the same thing on his '09, and that's how I came across it: http://www.chargerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=141056

• 3 weeks later...
Finally had a chance to test this setup out. Definitely the best way to haul a couple bikes with a Fusion. Hitch is rock solid and almost invisible tucked under there.

Did you end up using the stabilizer strap Curtis says is required for bike rack use?

I put a hitch on my 2012...same "near invisible look"...but then I ordered a receiver cover when nothing is in the receiver and was able to have a custom photo put on it, so I put a picture of my 1976 Montego front nose emblem on it...looks cool, and people wonder what it is....love it!

Can you post a pic of that?

You'll have to forgive my "noobiness" with this question ... are the rear bumpers of the SE and the Hybrid SE the same? Would this installation work practically the same with the Hybrid version? I haven't received my FHH yet but am a big cycler, so I'm looking for options to haul my bike around. Thanks!

You'll have to forgive my "noobiness" with this question ... are the rear bumpers of the SE and the Hybrid SE the same? Would this installation work practically the same with the Hybrid version? I haven't received my FHH yet but am a big cycler, so I'm looking for options to haul my bike around. Thanks!

The single tip SE (non 2.0 engine) has the same bumper as the Hybrids.

It's different than the one pictured in the original post - that shows the dual-integrated pipes that come with the 2.0 engine on SE and Titaniums.

Edited by neod192

The single tip SE (non 2.0 engine) has the same bumper as the Hybrids.

It's different than the one pictured in the original post - that shows the dual-integrated pipes that come with the 2.0 engine on SE and Titaniums.

Thanks for the clarification. I wouldn't think that the tip would make a difference with this mount then, but I'll have to take a closer look.

• 3 months later...