Sudden Unintended Accelleration now offered on some Fords

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-28/ford-sued-in-class-action-claiming-sudden-acceleration.html?cmpid=yhoo

All I will say here is that I've owned several of the vehicles mentioned here in this article and haven't experienced any of this. That of course doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just that I haven't experienced it.

This is the lawyers looking for a blackmail payment. Any time a manufacturer makes a product change (like brake override) there is an opportunity for lawyers to imply that the change was made due to a defect rather than continuing product evolution. So he's getting big press which aids in his trolling for plaintiffs.

In most cases, there is no way a stuck accelerator can overcome the brakes. However, if it were to happen at highway speeds, there is a chance that the brakes could fade to such a point that it could not be overcome. Note in this case, the lawyer is saying they are looking for property damage, but there was no personal injury which means the event he is talking about likely happened at low speed.

With the exception of floor mats jammed under the accelerator pedal, virtually every case of "unintended acceleration" is the fault of the driver having his/her foot on the wrong pedal, and then when the vehicle isn't doing what they expect, they panic, jamming even harder on the "brake" (which is really the accelerator).

That's boilerplate 'outraged attorney' language.

Helps soothe the conscience when you're basically running an extortion racket.

Maybe this guy should work on other evils that need remedy via expensive legal fees and hefty settlement percentages. How about suing Facebook over changes to their privacy policy? Or maybe suing Google over their search results.

Edited by RichardJensen

Maybe this guy should work on other evils that need remedy via expensive legal fees and hefty settlement percentages. How about suing Facebook over changes to their privacy policy? Or maybe suing Google over their search results.

I'd prefer the legal community focus on something than needs fixing; like health care insurance (reform).

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-28/ford-sued-in-class-action-claiming-sudden-acceleration.html?cmpid=yhoo

All I will say here is that I've owned several of the vehicles mentioned here in this article and haven't experienced any of this. That of course doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just that I haven't experienced it.

And if you re-read the article, you will notice that it doesn't claim any of the plaintiffs did either. They're suing for economic loss because the lawyers claim the system has the potential to be subject to unintended acceleration (lacking an override), should some other issue trigger it.

Of course, nobody associates Ford with Unintended Acceleration - until now. So really, the lawyer should be sued for economic damages for publicizing these as-yet baseless fears.

• Like 2

LINK

Ford Motor Co. was installing electronic systems in its vehicles in Europe that could prevent unintended

acceleration as early as 2005, but didn't take the same precautions in the U.S. for another five years,

according to a lawsuit filed this week in West Virginia against the company.

I don't like the sound of this, it sound like the lawyers are trying to link events in Europe with those in the USA.

This is so ridiculous. Btw there was not a Mercury Cougar past 2002. Also, the 2002 Cougar was cable driven throttle. This is what is wrong with our judicial system. Cases like these should be thrown out and the plaintiff be fined.

What about 04+ F150s, or Fusions, or etc....? In my experience the vehicles in question have always went into fail safe mode 100 fold more than go WOT. Actually I don't think I have ever personally seen a Etc equipped Ford go to wot without something obstructing the pedal.

Edited by fordtech1

Hasn't it been proven over and over again that driver error is the reason for sudden acceleration, not mechanical/electronic problem? Audi and Toyota both proved it and especially Audi almost went out of business because of it. I imagine a throttle could stick open because of floor mat, or other issue, but even there ignition can be turned off first before applying and maybe fading out the brakes. My feeling is that the wiring in driver's head goes awry and they really think they are applying the brake, but actually applying the accelerator. Whenever I hear about a senior driving through store window/wall, I know that happened. I know whenever I drive in crowded mall parking lot, I look out for the runaway vehicle where the driver SWEARS they were hitting brake instead of accelerator.

• Like 1

I've always wondered if unintended acceleration happened to me at highway speed.

If I'm smart enough to put it in neutral?

I've always wondered if unintended acceleration happened to me in a parking lot.

I know I'm smart enough but am I quick enough to put it in neutral before hitting anything?

Saw it in a parking lot.

Parking attendant floored a nicely restored nice motor 67 Mustang.

Throttle stuck.

The brakes won THEN :doh: he put it in neutral jumped out and raised the hood.

About that time the owner arrived and turned the key OFF. :finger:

And if you re-read the article, you will notice that it doesn't claim any of the plaintiffs did either. They're suing for economic loss because the lawyers claim the system has the potential to be subject to unintended acceleration (lacking an override), should some other issue trigger it.

Of course, nobody associates Ford with Unintended Acceleration - until now. So really, the lawyer should be sued for economic damages for publicizing these as-yet baseless fears.

You're right! When I first read the article my first thought was that I have never read of this happening with a Ford product. Maybe because of improper mats or placing winter mats over the regular mats which the manual specifically states not to do. With Toyota it seemed like claims were being made daily about unintended acceleration. Hopefully clear heads will prevail and it will get thrown out of court.

"But rather than seeking damages from injuries related to crashes, this
lawsuit seeks compensation for loss of vehicle value, specifically on
Fords built between 2002 and 2010 when a brake override system was
added. It claims that Ford knew about this defect and hid it from
customers."
http://jalopnik.com/unintended...

What about air bags before 1990? Their value was known well before then.

Edited by timmm55

"But rather than seeking damages from injuries related to crashes, this

lawsuit seeks compensation for loss of vehicle value, specifically on

Fords built between 2002 and 2010 when a brake override system was

added. It claims that Ford knew about this defect and hid it from

customers."

http://jalopnik.com/unintended...

What about air bags before 1990? Their value was known well before then.

Hmmm.....I have a 2002 Ford and never have I had a sudden acceleration moment along with a slew of 2002-2006 Ford branded company cars. If the class action suit is won, the best I could do is a video tape showing me how to shift to neutral if accelerator pedal sticks. That's what I got in class action suit against Bronco ll, a video showing me how not to roll over my vehicle after putting 220,000 miles on it without incident. The only winners in class action suit are the law firms that litigate the case. The owners of said vehicles get videos.

Has had happen to me a few times where my size 11 foot has made contact with both the accelerator and brake pedals at the same time. This only in parking lots and is probably part of a bad habit in way I angle position my foot. It can be momentarily alarming until realize what has happened. I am certain that this can and happens to others pssibly resulting in a parking lot collision. Am curious what it would take to put a safety feature where the acelerator knocks off when both are pushed at same time as mentioned. This has happened to me in in both my T-bird and Edge where the pedals are close to even height and closely spaced. Also own an newer F150 and never happened where the pedals are distinctly seperated. Just curious other than obviously learn to drive and position feet properly.

Well, on your T-Bird, you've got a cable throttle, so there's no real way to electronically interfere in it.

I'm not sure what Ford's system is, but--as explained in an Escape recall thread--when the system detects an error in the electronic throttle sensor, it goes into a limp-home mode.

And, in fact, this is a crucial difference between Ford & Toyota. While the vast majority of Toyota SUAs were undoubtedly pedal misapplication, the fact remains that they did not have any failsafes. Their redundant sensor moved in lock step with the primary sensor on the same circuit, which means that a short--however it occurred--would not be detected by the system.

At the very least that sensor should have moved in an opposite direction so that a short would result in opposite readings, which would clearly be an error, or the sensors should have been on different circuits.

In my situation it has not been a vehicle failure and clearly my mistake. However it is an error which can easily be made. Where is most possible to happen is wearing clodhopper snow boots where of course not needed in SD haha.The first time in particular a little panic set in and the harder I pressed on the brake obviously the harder accelerated. I wouldn't be surprised if similar occasions happen with in particular senoirs who may be a little slower to react. Wouldn't be an issue with me in any case if the brake pedal was a couple inches or so ahead of the accelerator.

Yeah, a brake override would potentially work with simultaneous pedal application, but it wouldn't necessarily work with pedal misapplication, in which you think you're hitting the brake, but in fact are not. I've never had that problem, but I've also got 'B' width feet (size 12s, also, which means that I don't technically have to rent skis at most slopes).

I'm also a long legged honker where in observing my pedal foot is more at a side angle than perpendicular to floor when driving. This ultimately makes the foot fatter across the pedals.. Anyways not to labor the issue and I guess is just somethiong for me and others to be more aware of with the potential to happen.

Well, on your T-Bird, you've got a cable throttle, so there's no real way to electronically interfere in it.

I'm not sure what Ford's system is, but--as explained in an Escape recall thread--when the system detects an error in the electronic throttle sensor, it goes into a limp-home mode.

And, in fact, this is a crucial difference between Ford & Toyota. While the vast majority of Toyota SUAs were undoubtedly pedal misapplication, the fact remains that they did not have any failsafes. Their redundant sensor moved in lock step with the primary sensor on the same circuit, which means that a short--however it occurred--would not be detected by the system.

At the very least that sensor should have moved in an opposite direction so that a short would result in opposite readings, which would clearly be an error, or the sensors should have been on different circuits.

There's a way to do it with a throttle cable. After Adam Petty and Kenny Irwin died from crashes caused from stuck throttles, Roush developed this: http://www.roushyatesparts.com/roush-industries-ignition-interrupter-p/roi-30-107-0023br.htm

I think for awhile, Lincoln was using a dual butterfly system on their intakes for the Town Car to aid in traction control. One plate was pedal controlled, the other by computer. If the car detected wheel spin, it closed the computer controlled plate and cut off power to prevent wheel spin. It wasn't the "brake the other side" traction control.

That's what I recall hearing from a former mechanic...