Custom Search

Coming Up Next:
Lincoln Aviator

Welcome to Blue Oval Forums

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Blue Oval Forums.  You must first register to create topics and post replies. Registration is a quick and easy process and only takes a minute.  Be apart of Blue Oval Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images
  • Use the Shout feature and more. . .
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

New light & medium duty news

• Please log in to reply
2294 replies to this topic

#2281 OFFLINE   zipnzap

zipnzap

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 360 posts
  • Joined 08-May 08

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:27 AM

I dunno. Doing a search, seems like this has the primary major issue for owners, especially those on the Fordtransitusa forum:

https://www.google.c...d transit guibo

That and rain water or melted snow entering the air filter opening, which Ford has sort of addressed. Though before that, many of them had done a lot of janky fixes to either cover the opening or redirect the water.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2282 OFFLINE   Joe771476

Joe771476

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Joined 11-August 00

Posted 11 November 2017 - 05:49 AM

The only way Ford is going to gain customer trust, confidence, respect in class 7 is by going into class 8. Vocational only, forget the highway tractor....for now anyway.  When customers see you don't make anything bigger than class 7, they're going to think you're not fully committed to trucks. A lot of customers like having the same DNA -- if you will -- in their fleets for maintenence and just general familiarity.  And if Ford does get back into class 8, they can NEVER get out of it again or they'll NEVER realize any loyalty!  Glad to see Ford supplying engines to Pierce, even though I understand it's supposedly an entry level custom cab/chassis.  Are you kidding?  If it's not a commercial chassis, it's not entry level!  These $500,000 custom pumpers/tankers and $1 million ladder trucks is a joke!  I don't care how much aluminum, stainless steel, diamond plate, hydraulic and electrical wizardry is in there, it's not worth that kind of money!  They get that much because they don't sell that many trucks often enough to allow them to sell them for $250,000, which is all they're worth. In order to maintain revenues they jack up the prices.  They keep trying like hell to get the certification levels down to where they would mandate depts. to replace a truck after 10 years instead of 20 years. But if they ever get it down to 10 years, they better drop the cost to $250,000!  Taxpayers can't afford these trucks anymore!  And most volunteer depts. have budgets that have to be voted on!  Screw the mandates. I'd like to see an F750 crew cab outfitted to haul and supply water to a tiller ladder!  They should donate some to New York, Chicago and Boston. It would be a great test of performance and durability!

#2283 OFFLINE   MGolden

MGolden

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • Joined 01-August 05

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:13 AM

Delete

Edited by MGolden, 11 November 2017 - 10:14 AM.

#2284 OFFLINE   SoonerLS

SoonerLS

trying to plug a hole in the universe

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Joined 20-June 11
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln LS, '13 F150 STX

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:48 PM

Hmm. Tesla just announced a new electric semi (Class 8, I guess, as it's supposed to be rated up to the US max GVWR (80K lbs?)) that will hold 65mph on a 5% grade. Supposedly due in two years (sez the company that still hasn't delivered on their promised production targets for the Model 3), and WalMart has said they'll be testing them.

I wonder if that'll make Hackett more interested in mediums...

photo-thumb-15254.jpg

So, give it over, take a break
Shut your hole, you're causing my poor heart to ache
To all you saints and sinners, you losers and you winners
Here's to one more day above the roses
-- Gaelic Storm, One More Day Above the Roses

#2285 OFFLINE   Bob Rosadini

Bob Rosadini

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts
  • Joined 15-October 99

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:31 PM

Hmm. Tesla just announced a new electric semi (Class 8, I guess, as it's supposed to be rated up to the US max GVWR (80K lbs?)) that will hold 65mph on a 5% grade. Supposedly due in two years (sez the company that still hasn't delivered on their promised production targets for the Model 3), and WalMart has said they'll be testing them.

I wonder if that'll make Hackett more interested in mediums...

If anything I think it will discourage him.  As for Tesla, it blows my mind that how this guy can talk about pulling something out of his hat so quickly.  we are talking about an unbelievable change in power trains- no transmissions, no differentials  etc etc. And he is going to be on the road in 24 months!

#2286 OFFLINE   jpd80

jpd80

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,022 posts
  • Joined 02-June 04
  • Current Vehicle:Falcon 302 V8

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:00 PM

LOL, this is cart before the horse stuff..

Tesla needs the full Mega charging network to be in place first before releasing the truck.

Electric trucks offer a huge shift in transport paradigm, away from diesel engines and transmissions,

I still think that Tesla will have a hard road convincing long distance freight companies to switch and

equally, regional operators may not see the economic up point for years, there's so much up front cost.

Someone like Volvo may embrace this tech in Europe where they are preparing a fast charge network

by collaboration with multiple brands, I just see this as a lot slower coming in North America.

Edited by jpd80, 18 November 2017 - 06:09 PM.

#2287 OFFLINE   351cid

351cid

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Joined 15-October 01
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:13 Fusion, 04 F-250, 13 Mustang GT

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:03 PM

Not to mention initial purchase price. No small operator can afford what I guess to be a $300,000 tractor that can only go 500 miles.
  • jpd80 likes this

2013 Ford Fusion SE (wife's daily driver)
2004 Ford F-250 4x4 w/ 6.8L (pretty yard ornament)

2013 Mustang GT (my daily driver)
2003 Ford Mustang (daughter's daily driver)
1993 Ford Thunderbird LX (son's daily driver)
1990 Ford Ranger (semi-retired)
1989 Ford Ranger (semi-retired)
1983 Ford F-150 ( son's toy)
1973 Ford Ranchero GT (future project)
1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport (current project)
1971 Ford Torino GT Convertible (wife's future project)
1968 Ford Mustang Coupe (son's current project)

#2288 OFFLINE   351cid

351cid

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Joined 15-October 01
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:13 Fusion, 04 F-250, 13 Mustang GT

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:03 PM

Not to mention initial purchase price. No small operator can afford what I guess to be a $300,000 tractor that can only go 500 miles.

2013 Ford Fusion SE (wife's daily driver)
2004 Ford F-250 4x4 w/ 6.8L (pretty yard ornament)

2013 Mustang GT (my daily driver)
2003 Ford Mustang (daughter's daily driver)
1993 Ford Thunderbird LX (son's daily driver)
1990 Ford Ranger (semi-retired)
1989 Ford Ranger (semi-retired)
1983 Ford F-150 ( son's toy)
1973 Ford Ranchero GT (future project)
1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport (current project)
1971 Ford Torino GT Convertible (wife's future project)
1968 Ford Mustang Coupe (son's current project)

#2289 OFFLINE   jpd80

jpd80

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,022 posts
  • Joined 02-June 04

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:32 PM

That's the thing with buying into new technology, all the costs of the vehicle and battery storage are up front.

If a regular class 8 can get 5-7 mpg hauling a full load, then 500 miles is going to be about 100 gallons of

diesel so the costs rack up fast versus what could be a $10-$20 recharge...is that about right?

You guys in the industry can fill in the blanks but to a lay person like me, it looks like a heck of a lot of up front

cost to save if fuel in the long term. I guess that over 500,000 miles, saving  close on 100,000 gallons of diesel

means quite a lot provided there isn't a hefty give back ....

Edited by jpd80, 18 November 2017 - 08:35 PM.

#2290 OFFLINE   Ron W.

Ron W.

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 2,277 posts
  • Joined 13-November 05

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:22 PM

Will an electric motor last for up to 500 hundred thousand miles (or more) the way the big diesels do ?

Working in automotive since 1973, Ford from June of 1992 to October 2006

EX-Ford dealership employee

#2291 OFFLINE   SoonerLS

SoonerLS

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Joined 20-June 11

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:20 AM

Will an electric motor last for up to 500 hundred thousand miles (or more) the way the big diesels do ?

IIRC, he said they will be warrantied for a million miles.

• jpd80 likes this

photo-thumb-15254.jpg

#2292 OFFLINE   SoonerLS

SoonerLS

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Joined 20-June 11

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:26 AM

If anything I think it will discourage him.  As for Tesla, it blows my mind that how this guy can talk about pulling something out of his hat so quickly.  we are talking about an unbelievable change in power trains- no transmissions, no differentials  etc etc. And he is going to be on the road in 24 months!

Oh, I have serious doubts about his ability to deliver this within the specified time frame, but if a big player like WalMart is seriously considering them, there might be something there--WalMart isn't known for taking fliers or backing the wrong horse (at least not very often).

I'm just thinking this might be the kind of Silicon Valley Sexiness that might interest Hackett.

Edited by SoonerLS, 19 November 2017 - 12:26 AM.

photo-thumb-15254.jpg

#2293 OFFLINE   jpd80

jpd80

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,022 posts
  • Joined 02-June 04

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:20 AM

IIRC, he said they will be warrantied for a million miles.

Yeah, I was going to say that generally, electrical components that are designed properly will outlast a conventional ICE,

especially if it's a brushless AC traction motor that gets proper cooling around the coils.

The other interesting part is regenerative braking on a truck with 80,000 lbs to pull up down a long grade is gonna do some

serious recharging of the batteries instead of burning out many sets of brake linings..

Edited by jpd80, 19 November 2017 - 02:22 AM.

#2294 OFFLINE   Bob Rosadini

Bob Rosadini

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts
  • Joined 15-October 99

Posted Today, 12:55 PM

So Check this out;

Ford Trucks Press Release  /  November 21, 2017

Our heavy commercial vehicle brand Ford Trucks combines over 55 years of truck manufacturing experience in the global market with the ability to develop special products for different export markets.

Following investment in Morocco, Algeria and Ghana, Ford Trucks has now moved one step further in Africa with a new distributor in Cairo, the capital of Egypt.

Ford Trucks continues to strengthen and grow in the international market with dealers outside the country.

In cooperation with new partner Aljico MISR, Ford Trucks will launch the 1843t XHR, 3543t LR, 1833 DC, 3543d DC and 4143m DC models in Egypt.

These models have been specially designed in accordance with the hot and dusty conditions of the region.

Our new generation of Euro 6 Ford “Ecotorq” engines are produced at our powertrain plant in Eskisehir Inonu, Turkey, and are strategically important for our sustainable growth globally.

We are working on advanced technologies to offer products that will compete in all potential export markets, including Ford Otosan, not only in Turkey but in Europe and North America.

500 of the 1500 engineers at the Ford global truck R&D center are working to develop heavy commercial vehicles for international markets.

"As Ford trucks, we continue to expand our network of dealers in accordance with our goal of being in total 50 countries as of 2020,” says Ford Trucks International markets director Emrah Duman.

“The African market has a very important place in our global growth plans. Egypt has launched a new development move with investments in transportation and construction projects amounting to 14.4 billion euros. Furthermore, 90% of cargo transported in Egyptian are via heavy trucks. This reveals the magnitude of the heavy truck market in Egypt. Depending on the high potential of Egypt, we are planning to open 3 separate facilities in Egypt by the end of 2018 with Aljico Misr, one of the leading distributors of the region. With our ability to develop products for different export markets as Ford trucks, we offer our models to market the geographical and climatic conditions of Egypt. We believe that we are going to increase our market share in Africa with our new facilities and move our customer satisfaction in the region further. "

I wonder if "engineer" means anyone working in the plant!

#2295 OFFLINE   twintornados

twintornados

Ford fan for a long, long time.

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,237 posts
  • Joined 16-February 10
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Lincoln MKX Elite

Posted Today, 02:54 PM

So Check this out;

Our new generation of Euro 6 Ford “Ecotorq” engines are produced at our powertrain plant in Eskisehir Inonu, Turkey, and are strategically important for our sustainable growth globally.

We are working on advanced technologies to offer products that will compete in all potential export markets, including Ford Otosan, not only in Turkey but in Europe and North America.

500 of the 1500 engineers at the Ford global truck R&D center are working to develop heavy commercial vehicles for international markets.

Bring on the Ecotorq to the North American market!! 

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours....Gordon Lightfoot, "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

Custom Search

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·