New Light & Medium Duty News

Wonder how much the battery weighs.

Just a guess, but probably about what the driveline would weigh on a diesel powered tractor....engine, transmission and rear axle are some heavy components that will not be needed in an EV tractor. That is their advantage over a gaseous prep package...you need all those driveline components plus the added weight and space requirements of the fuel tanks and related hardware...

Just a guess, but probably about what the driveline would weigh on a diesel powered tractor....engine, transmission and rear axle are some heavy components that will not be needed in an EV tractor. That is their advantage over a gaseous prep package...you need all those driveline components plus the added weight and space requirements of the fuel tanks and related hardware...

Not to mention the weight of the fuel itself.

• Like 1

My heart goes out to those kids/teachers/parents in the tragic school bus accident in New Jersey. It appears to be an International/IC whose body was completely sheared off from the chassis. I hope they figure out what went wrong there. Meanwhile -- although expensive -- seat belts should be installed on every school bus and indeed all municipal transit and interstate motor coach buses as well. Too many valuable lives on a single moving vehicle to be ignored.

• Like 3

My heart goes out to those kids/teachers/parents in the tragic school bus accident in New Jersey. It appears to be an International/IC whose body was completely sheared off from the chassis. I hope they figure out what went wrong there. Meanwhile -- although expensive -- seat belts should be installed on every school bus and indeed all municipal transit and interstate motor coach buses as well. Too many valuable lives on a single moving vehicle to be ignored.

I'm not sure how school buses don't already have seat belts. I routinely see school buses doing 50mph around my neck of the words, and I've seen them going well over 60mph where I've been lately. That's a hell of a lot of kinetic energy with no safety restraints...

• Like 1

Most school buses still don't have seat belts. Has to do in large part to the seat design. They claim in a forward crash the kids are just as safe because of the close padded seats. Not all accidents are forward crashes though.

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2016/rpt/2016-R-0318.htm

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), which sets national standards for school bus safety, requires three-point seat belts (lap-and-shoulder belts) on school buses weighing less than 10,000 pounds, but allows individual states to decide whether to require seat belts on larger school buses. Six states – California, Florida, Louisiana, New Jersey, New York, and Texas – do so.

And this...

New Jersey

New Jersey requires school buses to have lap belts or other child restraint systems that meet federal standards and certain minimum seat back heights. It requires students to wear properly adjusted and fastened seat belts while the bus is operating, and relieves school bus owners and operators of liability for a passenger's failure to wear a seat belt if that failure directly results in an injury to the passenger(N.J. Stat. Ann. § 39:3B-10 and § 39:3B-11).
Edited by twintornados

Well if the news stories are correct, the only thing that this unfortunate incident confirms is that there are potentially complete idiots at the wheel of school buses. This driver apparently missed his exit ramp and attempted to reverse direction on an Interstate highway by cutting across the median at an emergency vehicle crossover.

• Like 1

So, 6 states require them. My state is one that doesn't, and none of the surrounding states do. How many school buses are under 10,000#? Not many. That's basically a van. I stand by my statement that most school buses do not have seat belts for the kids.

Edited by LSchicago

So, 6 states require them. My state is one that doesn't, and none of the surrounding states do. How many school buses are under 10,000#? Not many. That's basically a van. I stand by my statement that most school buses do not have seat belts for the kids.

I am not disputing your statement per se, just that regulation, as limited as it is, does indeed exist.

Wow, Bob that IS scary!

For sure Joe and it makes you wonder where the other adults were (teachers, chaperones) when this nitwit started to make the u turn-unless he did it on the fly from the grannie lane and they did not have time to react to his/her move. Absolutely boggles my mind that someone entrusted with 40-50 kids would have that kind of mind set.

well here is a bit of positive news- while I keep harping that you never see a 750 on a dealer lot, one of the dealers here in MA that has historically been very active in mediums has a new 750 chassis on the lot all set up for a 6-8 yd dump. This thing has a 12,000 front and a 23,000 rear (with 31,000lb rear springs!) that would qualify it as a 35,000lb class 8 but it also has option code "18" that allows it to be plated at a 33,000 lb gvw-which qualifies it for the FET exemption.

Didn't think that was legit anymore but apparently it is.

We will see how long it sits. This dealership in the old days would stock L, LN, F 8000's all set up with top line 6-8 yd dump bodies and you would see his distinctive dealer ID mud flaps all over the state as when someone wanted a new truck that was ready to go, they knew who would have one.

Sadly no longer the case

• 3 weeks later...

What happened to this program??

https://lightningsystems.com/news-posts/ford-qvm

Lightning Hybrids offers the ERS for the Ford E-350 and E-450 chassis, F-350 to F-550 Super Duty trucks, F-650 and F-750 medium-duty trucks and F-59 chassis. Attendees at The Work Truck Show in Indianapolis this week can see a Ford E-350 box truck equipped with Lightning Hybrids’ hydraulic hybrid ERS at its booth (5475).

ers_ford_bus_sm-768x653-300x255.jpg

Edited by twintornados

Didnt Ford have an in-house hydraulic hybrid system they were testing some time ago that is similar to this? I was surprised it never materialized as I thought the concept was good. Perhaps Ford was working with this company back then, but I dont recall.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest figures in Transport Topics shows Ford back on top in Class 6! Also, as I stated in one of the VW collaboration threads, I don't trust VW anymore than I can throw them! They're mulling over talking over International lock, stock and barrel and arrogant to the point of where one top VW official said in regard to the emission scandal, "lucky for us, Americans forget!" Some have suggested this might affect the Ford Otosan operation in Asia, where Ford exports the Cargo to 65 countries! I think VW would like to get rid of Ford there like Daimler/Freightliner did here in the US by getting rid of Ford as a top player with the L-series in the class 8 segment.

• 5 weeks later...

Update..latest HDT mag shows Hino ahead of Ford in class 7, Ford way ahead of Hino in class 6 coming in second after Freightliner. Freightliner must be afraid the boys in the northwest logging corner would go bonkers if they dropped Western Star with only YTD sales of a mere 2284 units! Ford manages to eke out a win over Ram in class 3 thru 5. One thing I've noticed is that every class 4 or 5 flatbed tow ruck is a Ram!! I haven't seen any other brand!

Update..latest HDT mag shows Hino ahead of Ford in class 7, Ford way ahead of Hino in class 6 coming in second after Freightliner. Freightliner must be afraid the boys in the northwest logging corner would go bonkers if they dropped Western Star with only YTD sales of a mere 2284 units! Ford manages to eke out a win over Ram in class 3 thru 5. One thing I've noticed is that every class 4 or 5 flatbed tow ruck is a Ram!! I haven't seen any other brand!

I was seeing a lot of Ram flatbed tow trucks but I have been seeing more new Super Duty flatbeds as of late so I feel they are making some inroads now. Outside of tow trucks, there is a heavy presence of new Super Duties in my area so they are doing well here.

Class 4/5 is going to get tougher, the new Chevy medium duty is well priced and GM has gone out of their way to make the truck 'upfit friendly'. Same will hold true for the International version. Still, it's a big market and I expect Ford to have a large share even with 2 additional competitors.

Something I have noticed is that in my area most of the ambulances/light rescue squads are Ram 5500's, and they are being fitted with aftermarket full air suspension on the rear axle. That's an expensive upfit, and the new Chevy will offer rear air suspension as a factory option.

Don't worry, Western Star is going nowhere. Ever priced one of those things?

Class 4/5 is going to get tougher, the new Chevy medium duty is well priced and GM has gone out of their way to make the truck 'upfit friendly'. Same will hold true for the International version. Still, it's a big market and I expect Ford to have a large share even with 2 additional competitors.

Something I have noticed is that in my area most of the ambulances/light rescue squads are Ram 5500's, and they are being fitted with aftermarket full air suspension on the rear axle. That's an expensive upfit, and the new Chevy will offer rear air suspension as a factory option.

Don't worry, Western Star is going nowhere. Ever priced one of those things?

Many departments around here are getting F450/550 chassis Ambulances, some are getting Rams, but the popular conversion here is Liquid Spring instead of air.

https://liquidspring.com

Yeah F-series leads in conventional ambulances around here, Transit is making some inroads too. Gee, too bad about Sergio Marchionne from FCA.

No one around here is running Transits, in our county it's either F-series or Freightliner. A few Neighboring counties have a handful of Rams.