New Light & Medium Duty News

Well it's official, Transport Topics article and print ad tout the Hino tandem axle and class 8 entrance. There's been hundreds of utility and tree medium duty bucket trucks combing the area restoring power here in CT and New England and I've only seen 3 makes, Ford, International and Freightliner. It seems to be about equal as far as share goes.

Edited by Joe771476

Well it's official, Transport Topics article and print ad tout the Hino tandem axle and class 8 entrance. There's been hundreds of utility and tree medium duty bucket trucks combing the area restoring power here in CT and New England and I've only seen 3 makes, Ford, International and Freightliner. It seems to be about equal as far as share goes.

Yes Joe but were any of the Fords new OHAP trucks or old Blue Diamonds? The only new Ford built bucket I have seen was a Lewis Tree truck.

Reading an article from 2008 in Truck Trends about a tandem rear axle F-450...pretty slick engineering...

http://www.trucktrend.com/cool-trucks/0812dp-2008-ford-f450-super-duty/

0812dp_04_z%2B2008_ford_f450_super_duty%

TT- thx-no doubt this is one talented guy who put this together. As for the "business case" for that fire brush truck I scratch my head. You need a tandem when your load exceeds the rated capacity of a single rear axle.-at least in my mind that is the case. In the case of that brush truck, I think the highest ratings you can get on a 550 are 7500 front axle and 12,000 rear.

So if I want more capacity, and need AWD, am I going to spend a lot of money and get some "home made" tandem, or am I going to upgrade to a class 6 or 7 650/750 with like an aftermarket driving front axle and a 21,000 or 23,000 lb rear?

Yes youre right Bob but I think a brush truck needs to be more nimble than a Class 6 or 7.

SK-I would say most of the "brush trucks" around here are 550's-now from a size perspective these are "nimble". You go down to Cape Cod where there is a lot of scrub pine and probably a better term is "brush breaker". Usually ex military 6 x 6 with heavy tubular steel frame "pushbars" surrounding them so they can power through this scrub vegetation.

Back to the 550 issue, I also think these 550's are sometimes used as a first responder type truck-like car fires.

We presently do not have a small unit but I understand that is next on the wish list.

talked to a dealer friend today- he has 12 chassis-some stock, some sold, sitting at OHAP waiting to go through......"rust proofing shop"??????? says this is a ...."new process set up in another building".

How about it-anyone at OHAP who can confirm what this is all about??

PS-One of these chassis is a 33,000 lb 750 Power Stroke set up for a 6-8 yard dump- a rare truck for this guy-most of his are 650's and 60% gas jobs.

Okay-this is for you OLD heavy truck guys. I'm at my Deere dealer today for their annual open house event- 10% off on parts! I spot this LTL 9000 parked next to their KW low boy tractor. This dealership is as large 3 location dealership here in Mass covering most of the significant farming areas left in state. Owner tells me...."79,000 miles, purchased from original owner who used it to haul silage". 3406, 46 rears and most importantly -large single frame. I should have taken pictures of inside but it was what you would expect of a heavy owner driven truck with 79,000 miles.

Talk about a "barn find". Only thing he did was paint it.

post-609-0-48286900-1522514017_thumb.jpg

post-609-0-47029100-1522514064_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Okay-this is for you OLD heavy truck guys. I'm at my Deere dealer today for their annual open house event- 10% off on parts! I spot this LTL 9000 parked next to their KW low boy tractor. This dealership is as large 3 location dealership here in Mass covering most of the significant farming areas left in state. Owner tells me...."79,000 miles, purchased from original owner who used it to haul silage". 3406, 46 rears and most importantly -large single frame. I should have taken pictures of inside but it was what you would expect of a heavy owner driven truck with 79,000 miles.

Nice! I always loved the LTL9000 trucks! Probably my favorite of the Louisville line.

Talk about a "barn find". Only thing he did was paint it

Nice! I always loved the LTL9000 trucks! Probably my favorite of the Louisville line.

I love this song, especially when Dean sings it....like the Ford LTL9000, classy and not what you'd expect in a category dominated by Kenworth, Peterbilt, Mack etc...

• Like 1

Love those trucks! Thanks for the pics!

I don't know if any of you watch it, but this week's episode of Shifting Gears with Aaron Kaufman is his team turning a Sterling with a 60-series Detroit into a race truck. Seems like something that might be of interest to some of y'all...

I guess I should note that the show is on Velocity...

Edited by SoonerLS

I don't know if any of you watch it, but this week's episode of Shifting Gears with Aaron Kaufman is his team turning a Sterling with a 60-series Detroit into a race truck. Seems like something that might be of interest to some of y'all...

I thought he was just going to be rebuilding old Ford pickups. A little disappointed so far.

• Like 1

Might have to check this out

Dudes I have been seeing lots of Fords here in the Pasco-Hernando counties of Florida.

Both counties have almost completely updated their fleets with everything from reg cab F150s to F750 service trucks.

The F750s are 6.7 diesels.

Both counties are pretty much exclusively new Fords.

The county Police departments are heavy with Explorer Pursuit and whatever they call the Taurus police package.

Fords are strong down here boys.

Dudes I have been seeing lots of Fords here in the Pasco-Hernando counties of Florida.

Both counties have almost completely updated their fleets with everything from reg cab F150s to F750 service trucks.

The F750s are 6.7 diesels.

Both counties are pretty much exclusively new Fords.

The county Police departments are heavy with Explorer Pursuit and whatever they call the Taurus police package.

Fords are strong down here boys.

SK-Glad to hear that because the 3 mos YTD numbers for 650/750 don't look good. Although today I did see two brand new 650/750s that one of the big sign/highway marking companies has. One was an attenuator, the other a dump pulling a tag trailer that had a mini excavator on it.

Also new Work Truck mag came this week and again Ford had a separate commercial truck ad booklet enclosed.

In looking at that, they are posting a GCWR max of 50,000 pds. In a lot of the older ad copy they were silent on GCW ratings.

So while I'm glad to see them publishing a GCWR rating, I do think however, that 50,000 lb rating is a commentary on the capability of the 6.7/Torqueshift combo. In the "old days"-KTP era- F-750/800/8000's were used by many companies as P & D tractors. This was at the same time they were building Louisvilles with in essence the same power train options in the respective LN/L 750/800/8000 series and with the same ratings. The choice was "premium heavy truck cab" -or save a few bucks with the smaller F series package.

IMO, there is no reason why a 750 today could not carry a higher GCWR rating given available frame specs, axle specs, tire specs etc. Is the cab a compromise?-yes-but if anything it is a better environment than the old F cab when they did compete in that tractor market.

So what is keeping them from doing that?? In my opinion the current power trains just don't have it to handle the higher weight as well as the wind factor associated with pulling a 13' high box trailer.

My same broken record speech-time for an alternative to the 6.7/Torqueshift to give Ford a good shot at additional volume.

You know what guys, after struggling with a couple outside sourced 6.0 and 6.4 Power Stroke diesels in our fleet for the past few weeks Im comfortable with the true Ford built 6.7.

When Ford builds their own 9 liter 6 banger then Ill be on board for additional engines. Until then not so much.

• Like 1

You know what guys, after struggling with a couple outside sourced 6.0 and 6.4 Power Stroke diesels in our fleet for the past few weeks Im comfortable with the true Ford built 6.7.

When Ford builds their own 9 liter 6 banger then Ill be on board for additional engines. Until then not so much.

Well SK I hear you on that point. As a matter of fact a dealer friend of mine makes the point from a dealer service perspective-" no more bullshit! " In the old days, Cummins (or Cat) would say..."Not our problem-its an Allison issue" And guess what Allison would say? Of course I would say-"I thought you had trained people qualified to work on both?"

It is a legitimate concern but somehow the competition seems able to deal with that.