Custom Search

Coming Up Next:
Lincoln Continental • Lincoln Aviator

Welcome to Blue Oval Forums

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Blue Oval Forums.  You must first register to create topics and post replies. Registration is a quick and easy process and only takes a minute.  Be apart of Blue Oval Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images
  • Use the Shout feature and more. . .
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

New light & medium duty news

• Please log in to reply
2092 replies to this topic

#2081 OFFLINE   tbone

tbone

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Joined 10-October 05
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Raptor Supercrew

Posted 22 June 2017 - 02:19 PM

Good one!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2082 OFFLINE   Bob Rosadini

Bob Rosadini

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 2,405 posts
  • Joined 15-October 99

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:14 PM

On my way out to the East Coast last week I saw a few truckloads of 650 or 750s that were painted UPS brown. I couldn't get close enough to verify whether they were gas or diesel's, but it looks like UPS is buying some.

There was a picture of a UPS box truck (like a 22 footer) on BigMack months ago.  I posted to see if anyone had a recollection or sighing to confirm "gas or diesel" but no answer.  good sign that more new ones sighted in transit- 

How about it-anyone at OAP with info?

#2083 OFFLINE   Bob Rosadini

Bob Rosadini

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 2,405 posts
  • Joined 15-October 99

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:21 PM

There was a picture of a UPS box truck (like a 22 footer) on BigMack months ago.  I posted to see if anyone had a recollection or sighing to confirm "gas or diesel" but no answer.  good sign that more new ones sighted in transit- 

How about it-anyone at OAP with info?

Just found it-pictured of what I believe is a 650 in Buster Brown colors posted "in service" Oct. 2016.

#2084 OFFLINE   Joe771476

Joe771476

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • Joined 11-August 00

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:05 PM

Latest HDT mag has Ford print ad showing a beverage tractor trailer combo. Also, apparently that Transport Topics info was for May because HDT has in April Class 6 Ford still at #1 with 1886, Freight at 1599 and Intern'l. at 1262.  Class 7 April Ford with 189, Hino with 97.

• jpd80 likes this

#2085 OFFLINE   Bob Rosadini

Bob Rosadini

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 2,405 posts
  • Joined 15-October 99

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:37 AM

First shots of the new GM/International class 4/5

https://www.trucks.c...uty-work-truck/

Looks like a fiberglass tilt hood which if priced reasonably, should give Ford and Dodge a bit of concern-in particular with fleet customers who run high mileage.   Nothing like good access versus leaning over a fender.

#2086 OFFLINE   twintornados

twintornados

Ford fan for a long, long time.

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,098 posts
  • Joined 16-February 10
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Lincoln MKX Elite

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:56 AM

First shots of the new GM/International class 4/5

https://www.trucks.c...uty-work-truck/

Looks like a fiberglass tilt hood which if priced reasonably, should give Ford and Dodge a bit of concern-in particular with fleet customers who run high mileage.   Nothing like good access versus leaning over a fender.

If GM/Navistar can build out class 4/5 using an existing GM cab with a tilt nose, so can Ford. I remember the GM Top Kick was a similar tilt nose setup using the cab of the full size van.

Ford should use either a Transit cab or, hell, even a Econoline cab with a tilt nose. Remember E-550?? Imagine that with a tilt nose....

medium-duty-truck-Navistar-general-motor

DSC03265.jpg

Edited by twintornados, 28 June 2017 - 07:59 AM.

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours....Gordon Lightfoot, "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

#2087 OFFLINE   hwyman3

hwyman3

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Joined 16-March 04
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:1995 F-350 DRW 7.3L, 2002 Mustang GT, 2016 Ford F-250 Lariat, 2016 Ford Explorer Sport

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:43 AM

I've always liked the idea of using a tilt nose on these trucks, especially the way the 6.7 PowerStroke is shoehorned in the Super Duties.  Sure seems better than removing the cab!

• Bob Rosadini likes this

#2088 OFFLINE   Sevensecondsuv

Sevensecondsuv

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts
  • Joined 14-June 07

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:10 AM

What engines are they projecting for the GM/Navistar? If it's just the 6.6L Duramax they're basically just claiming their piece of the diesel class 4/5 "pie". Hopefully they're not planning on torturing buyers with the 6.0L gas V8. That engine is already not competitive in 2500/3500. Other than the flip hood, such a truck would be a far cry from the V10 Fords. It wouldn't even really hold a candle to Ram's 6.4 Hemi.

Now if they were to resurrect the 8100 vortec and give it the same cam/head upgrades that the 6.0L has benefitted from, they might really shake the market up pretty good. That'd be an honest 475 hp engine with a bottom end torque curve equal or better than the V10 Ford.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv, 28 June 2017 - 11:15 AM.

#2089 OFFLINE   Bob Rosadini

Bob Rosadini

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 2,405 posts
  • Joined 15-October 99

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:19 AM

What engines are they projecting for the GM/Navistar? If it's just the 6.6L Duramax they're basically just claiming their piece of the diesel class 4/5 "pie". Hopefully they're not planning on torturing buyers with the 6.0L gas V8. That engine is already not competitive in 2500/3500. Other than the flip hood, such a truck would be a far cry from the V10 Fords. It wouldn't even really hold a candle to Ram's 6.4 Hemi.

I believe for sure the 6.6 Duramax but doesn't Isuzu have a decent 4 cylinder??  And they for sure will need a gas engine so does that mean the 6.0 is a given.??

I'm sure 7M3 will jump in here as he seems to have good intel on where these GM/"Binder" trucks are headed. 

#2090 OFFLINE   Bob Rosadini

Bob Rosadini

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 2,405 posts
  • Joined 15-October 99

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:31 AM

If GM/Navistar can build out class 4/5 using an existing GM cab with a tilt nose, so can Ford. I remember the GM Top Kick was a similar tilt nose setup using the cab of the full size van.

Ford should use either a Transit cab or, hell, even a Econoline cab with a tilt nose. Remember E-550?? Imagine that with a tilt nose....

medium-duty-truck-Navistar-general-motor

DSC03265.jpg

TT-Back to the question-with 450-550 chassis production now done at OAP is not the case stronger for a new cab structure for 450-750-and then an 850 tandem once it gets a truck work truckncab with higher seating position

As for your comment on E-550, dealer friend of mine was pissed when they dropped that as he had made good progress converting class 5 customers to that truck.

• twintornados likes this

#2091 OFFLINE   bzcat

bzcat

Blue Oval Enthusiast

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:40 PM

I believe for sure the 6.6 Duramax but doesn't Isuzu have a decent 4 cylinder??  And they for sure will need a gas engine so does that mean the 6.0 is a given.??

I'm sure 7M3 will jump in here as he seems to have good intel on where these GM/"Binder" trucks are headed. 

I doubt Isuzu will let their diesel go to a Navistar product. They are direct competitors.

Isuzu partners with GM. Navistar partners with GM. Isuzu and Navistar are not partners.

#2092 OFFLINE   7Mary3

7Mary3

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,947 posts
  • Joined 01-August 05

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:40 PM

Just saw those pictures myself the other day.  Don't have any facts, but I hear that the new GM/Navistar not only has a tip hood, it also has straight frame rails and an I beam front axle.  Looks like they are building a scaled down class 6 truck like the TopKick/Kodiak and TerraStar.  They did announce the diesel option would be the new Duramax 6.6L V-8 along with an Allison automatic standard transmission.  A new larger gasoline/CNG/LNG V-8 is rumored to be in the works. 

#2093 OFFLINE   fordmantpw

fordmantpw

akirby's stunt double

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,205 posts
  • Joined 30-January 06
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • Current Vehicle:2017 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 PowerStroke Diesel

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:31 PM

I doubt Isuzu will let their diesel go to a Navistar product. They are direct competitors.

Isuzu partners with GM. Navistar partners with GM. Isuzu and Navistar are not partners.

From my understanding, Isuzu is out on the Duramax, and has been for a while.  They helped with the original design, but GM took over.

Looks like they are building a scaled down class 6 truck like the TopKick/Kodiak and TerraStar.   

We saw how well that worked with the last batch of GM 5500 trucks.  Too heavy not leaving enough payload.

Edited by fordmantpw, 28 June 2017 - 01:32 PM.

photo-thumb-15254.jpg

Future Vehicles
2020 Ford Explorer/Lincoln Aviator

Current Vehicles
'17 F350 Super Duty Crew Cab, Lariat, 4x4, 6.7L Diesel

'10 Mercury Milan

'09 Ford Flex Limited (wife's)

Past Vehicles
'08 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab, Lariat, 4x4, 6.4L Diesel
'05 Ford F150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 5.4 - sold @53k, not a single problem
'03 Ford Escape XLT
(wife's) Traded at 75k for '09 Flex
'99 Ford F150 XLT Regular Cab 4x4 5.4 - Sold @136k, then totaled by the new owner on the way to its new home :(
'96 Chevrolet Cavalier (wife's - she brought it into the marriage)
'86 Ford Bronco II XLT 4x4 5 Speed 2.9L - what a dog, and it cracked heads like no tomorrow. 150k+ on 4 engines

Custom Search

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·