New Light & Medium Duty News

I heard about the XL Hybrid F-250 earlier this week. It is on XL's website.

I doubt Ford really has any of their old class 8 tooling. All the HN80 tooling was sold to Freightliner and moved to Canada, and as far as I know Daimler still owns it. It was also reported at the time the sale included whatever was left of the old Louisville and Cargo tooling too. Unless Ford bought it back.........

After an exhaustive search of Autoline Detroit's past episodes, the only one I could find that referred to Ford's past class 8 efforts was this one from 2014:

http://www.autoline.tv/journal/?p=32667

O'Leary acknowledges Ford's history in class 8, but really doesn't say Ford has any specific plans to re-enter the segment.

I doubt Ford really has any of their old class 8 tooling. All the HN80 tooling was sold to Freightliner and moved to Canada, and as far as I know Daimler still owns it. It was also reported at the time the sale included whatever was left of the old Louisville and Cargo tooling too. Unless Ford bought it back.........

Well, Ford owned the Daimler name in the US (rebranded Jags), but I don't know if that went to Tata along with Jaguar. If not, they may have traded it for something, as MB seems to be using it here now.

Edited by SoonerLS

Well, Ford owned the Daimler name in the US (rebranded Jags), but I don't know if that went to Tata along with Jaguar. If not, they may have traded it for something, as MB seems to be using it here now.

The British Daimler had no relation to Daimler-Benz:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daimler_Company

Incidentally, I am hearing rumors that Daimler Truck will be split off from Daimler-Benz within the next couple of years.

The British Daimler had no relation to Daimler-Benz:

Yes, that's what I said. Looks like the rights to the name went with Jag to Tata (subsequently to JLR), and their trademark registration was denied in '09, so my guess about trading the rights to MB was apparently wrong.

From everything I read at time of sale in '98, Daimler got EVERYTHING. Tooling included plus a 10 year no compete. And whatever O'leary said in 2014 has to be suspect with the new Hatchett man at the top. Unless of course Silicon Valley publishes something today that says..."autonomous class 7 and 8 trucks are the key to the industry's survival". Then Hackett will buy into it.

I the meantime, let's hope there is some good hype generated at the show for the new 7X V-8 as whatever success Ford is having in class 6 and 7 looks to me is based on being the low cost gasoline powered option in those classes.

How about it-anyone at OAP have any clue as to how many of those Penske yellow 650's have been built?

From everything I read at time of sale in '98, Daimler got EVERYTHING. Tooling included plus a 10 year no compete. And whatever O'leary said in 2014 has to be suspect with the new Hatchett man at the top. Unless of course Silicon Valley publishes something today that says..."autonomous class 7 and 8 trucks are the key to the industry's survival". Then Hackett will buy into it.

I the meantime, let's hope there is some good hype generated at the show for the new 7X V-8 as whatever success Ford is having in class 6 and 7 looks to me is based on being the low cost gasoline powered option in those classes.

How about it-anyone at OAP have any clue as to how many of those Penske yellow 650's have been built?

I have not seen any Penske F-650's, but I have seen a number of new Penske F-550's.

I agree, the gasoline option is a significant factor in F-650 sales, though I do think the 6.7L Powerstroke is thoroughly competitive with the 6.7L Cummins. I think there is cause for concern because I keep hearing Navistar is very close to offering a gasoline option in the DuraStar. In addition, I have a strong hunch the new GM/Navistar medium will also offer a gasoline option a year or tow after introduction and there will eventually be a class 6 version too.

I have not seen any Penske F-650's, but I have seen a number of new Penske F-550's.

I agree, the gasoline option is a significant factor in F-650 sales, though I do think the 6.7L Powerstroke is thoroughly competitive with the 6.7L Cummins. I think there is cause for concern because I keep hearing Navistar is very close to offering a gasoline option in the DuraStar. In addition, I have a strong hunch the new GM/Navistar medium will also offer a gasoline option a year or tow after introduction and there will eventually be a class 6 version too.

Glad to hear when someone like you who is an active fleet operator , has good things to say about the 6.7 Powerstroke versus the Cummins, that counts. Plus when you see someone like Pierce having the confidence to offer it in a tough environment like fire service, that speaks volumes .

But I l still listen to the bullshit all the time to the tune of........"service bays are full of them" from the GM/Mopar fan boys who keep the legacy of the 6.0/6.4 alive. Which is why I keep hoping for another diesel option.

And back to the gasoline option, I'm sure you are correct in terms of both International and GM having a gasoline option very soon. They would be blind if they did not recognize Ford's success with gasoline. There are plenty of operators who either can't afford the upfront premium for a diesel option or just don't run the annual mileage or engine hours to make it economically viable.

It's not just the upfront premium anymore. The $/mile difference just isn't there like it used to be. For one, diesel isn't discounted relative to regular unleaded anymore. Secondly, while I have little experience with trucks, the new emmisions-compliant diesels in ag tractors make for abysmal fuel economy compared to what the pre-emissions ones did. In practice, it can take twice as much diesel fuel to accomplish same job with a new emissions-compliant tractor of the same size/power than one of the old tractors. The 80s/90s stuff is really holding it's value because the new stuff are all fuel pigs.

Was just at the Work Truck Show and found the link with info about Ford press. I already previously said they were going to discuss chassis, upfitting info, etc. as well as future plans. It's on March 7th at 9:45am-11am.

http://www.worktruckshow.com/WTS/educational_sessions/Ford_Commercial_Vehicles_Update_Session.aspx

The Ford conference is being held tomorrow morning at Work Truck Show. Anyone here know for sure what 'new' vehicle(s) they will present? I seen some articles saying only the cargo version of the updated 2019 Transit Connect. I highly doubt they'll spend an hour and 15 minutes just talking about that. The site page in link as shown in my quote says Ford will discuss chassis info, upfitting, etc. Seems like they would announce next generation Econoline E-Series Cutaway/Chassis Cab and Stripped Chassis tomorrow too. We'll see.

I wonder if any articles will be published online after midnight embargo passes? I know the Work Truck Show isn't a major auto show of sorts so likely no articles published until after tomorrow's press conference. I hope there will be live streaming of it.

Well, a quick look in Google while searching 'Work Truck Show Ford' came up with results where Ford has apparently already unveiled the cargo version of the updated 2019 Transit Connect.

http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/18989/ford-unveils-the-transit-connect-cargo-van-at-the-work-truck-show

I highly doubt they would announce it now as well as showing it to the crowd, as the article said, if they were to have a press conference tomorrow over an hour long. So they may be showing something else tomorrow or at least discussing future plans with slideshows, etc.

Well, a quick look in Google while searching 'Work Truck Show Ford' came up with results where Ford has apparently already unveiled the cargo version of the updated 2019 Transit Connect.

http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/18989/ford-unveils-the-transit-connect-cargo-van-at-the-work-truck-show

I highly doubt they would announce it now as well as showing it to the crowd, as the article said, if they were to have a press conference tomorrow over an hour long. So they may be showing something else tomorrow or at least discussing future plans with slideshows, etc.

Nice little van. Should be plenty of seats at the Ford event as everyone will be at the Chevrolet and Hino presentations IMO

• Like 1

Well with all the attention at the WTS being focused on the new class 4,5 GMs, the new Hino class 7 and class 8 tandem, and the new International mediums, Ford looks like a non-player in the medium market.

And here is an interesting quote from the GM VP of fleet sales;

"We're going to have to conquest largely from Ford, a little bit from [Ram]," Peper said.

More important than the sales of the medium-duty segment is the adjacent sales, according to Peper. He said, "For every one of these trucks we sell, we think we're going to sell a van, we're going to sell a pickup and one of something else."

The adjacent sales are expected to expand past vehicles to other business segments such as GM Financial, parts and accessories and OnStar, which offers a fleet service with tracking and diagnostic services called Commercial Link.

They announced that they really didn't have anything new to announce. :(

Where have we heard that before?

Honestly, though, wouldn't it be more beneficial image wise to just not have an announcement/presentation rather than these half-assed presentations of a whole lot of nothing and/or things that have already been unveiled?

So, what was Ford's announcement?

Transit Connect wagon-with Eco Blu diesel- Keep in mind-this is the "WORK Truck Show

They announced that they really didn't have anything new to announce. :(

Very good-their credibility was not damaged ;)

Honestly, though, wouldn't it be more beneficial image wise to just not have an announcement/presentation rather than these half-assed presentations of a whole lot of nothing and/or things that have already been unveiled?

Well putting my "truck nut" hat aside, I'll put on my stockholder hat........And fellow stockholders, we had the most employees staffing our "display" and we paid for the most floor space! All to present very little to the trade.

By the way-dealer friend told me he thought they were going to announce a factory 4WD for the big Transit-something perhaps his contractor accounts might like. Others have suggested they would announce a mid size Transit that is between the Connect and the Transit-can't think of its name but I believe it competes with a similar sized Mercedes product.

• Like 1

Yes it would.

True, but at least Ford didn't have idiot Jim Belushi with sunglasses singing a rock tune after introducing the cargo version of the TC this time around like he did with wagon of it last month in Chicago. Ford had a 30 minute press conference scheduled for Chicago only to go on and on and on and on for about 20 minutes with Jim and the Ford rep talking about baby boomers and nonsense before finally showing the damn van. Then they put on sunglasses and sang a tune. The streaming page for Ford on the Chicago Auto Show website did not work and nothing came up in Google to view it. I got on Facebook and nothing from Ford came up in Facebook notifications about going live. I had to do search in Facebook to see what was shown live and came across one of the local Chicago news page that was showing it only that the camera was at a side angle instead of right at front. Really piss-poor planning on Ford's part where they release articles after midnight after embargo passed only to this Saturday Night Live type of skit of a 'conference' and that was it. Nothing else was shown at Chicago even with rumors of Explorer and Shelby GT500.

Then deja vu with this 1 hour and 15 minutes planned for 'discussions of future plans' regarding commercial trucks (note the Work Truck Show website had 'plans' as in plural meaning multiple vehicles to be discussed and revealed. I figured the rumored Transit Custom midsize introduction, next generation discussions and possible images of Econoline Cutaway/Chassis Cab and Stripped Chassis vehicles. But nope, nothing that I know of was revealing during the conference. No articles, transcripts, copies of presentation slides can be seen online. To add another insult, Ford actually revealed the cargo TC van the night before to a crowd which was not listed in the schedule at all on the site. I would have been very pissed if I had registered and paid to attend as a businessman or fleet manager, etc. and not be able to see the van's actual reveal due to unannounced date and time only for nothing new to be shown nor discussed during that hour+ long conference. What the hell, Ford?

At least it wasn't as bad this year as it was last year at the dismal failure of the 2017 auto shows. The Detroit show this year was really good with Mustang Bullitt - both old and new - and Ranger. But TC wagon at Chicago and TC cargo at WTS? New York Auto Show better have something new and surprising or their stock shares are going to continue to drop. Aviator Concept is a given but there needs to be something else shown. Sorry for my negativity but I am so put out with Ford here the past couple years due to their lack of plans announced to the public (and shareholders even if I'm not one) and here is Hackett carrying along with his job and doing almost literally nothing besides cutting costs. I thought he was hired precisely to save Ford and bring in more interests. Geez.

Transit Connect wagon-with Eco Blu diesel- Keep in mind-this is the "WORK Truck Show

Well putting my "truck nut" hat aside, I'll put on my stockholder hat........And fellow stockholders, we had the most employees staffing our "display" and we paid for the most floor space! All to present very little to the trade.

By the way-dealer friend told me he thought they were going to announce a factory 4WD for the big Transit-something perhaps his contractor accounts might like. Others have suggested they would announce a mid size Transit that is between the Connect and the Transit-can't think of its name but I believe it competes with a similar sized Mercedes product.

Ford actually only showed the cargo variant of the TC as the wagon was already shown at Chicago last month. I was not aware you are a stockholder. I made my previous post before seeing yours so you will see where I briefly mentioned stockholders being frustrated with Ford for lack of reveals and info of future products. I also mentioned the Transit Custom which is the midsize van you were trying to think the name of in my previous comment. I forgot to add the update of Transit which I thought would be for 2019 model year but seems not, unless it will be shown at New York Auto Show or at another separate event. I was not aware Ford was even thinking of offering factory 4x4 for Transit. I know it is offered in Europe but I had thought they opted not to offer it here as to not take away sales of the F-Series as I thought I read somewhere. I do think factory Transit 4x4 is a good idea to compete with Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 4x4.

Ford actually only showed the cargo variant of the TC as the wagon was already shown at Chicago last month. I was not aware you are a stockholder. I made my previous post before seeing yours so you will see where I briefly mentioned stockholders being frustrated with Ford for lack of reveals and info of future products. I also mentioned the Transit Custom which is the midsize van you were trying to think the name of in my previous comment. I forgot to add the update of Transit which I thought would be for 2019 model year but seems not, unless it will be shown at New York Auto Show or at another separate event. I was not aware Ford was even thinking of offering factory 4x4 for Transit. I know it is offered in Europe but I had thought they opted not to offer it here as to not take away sales of the F-Series as I thought I read somewhere. I do think factory Transit 4x4 is a good idea to compete with Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 4x4.

Pffan-thx-could not think of the name.." custom"-is that currently offered in EU?

As for 4 x 4 I believe TT or Fordman posted a nice shot of a Quigley Transit but this friend of mine implied this would be a factory option. And if you talk to any contractor type who is running a Transit and ask them how they like it they say-"great-unless there is snow on ground-or muddy job site!"

• Like 1

Very good-their credibility was not damaged ;)

It is a FWD midsized van called Transit Custom. Slots in above Transit Connect and below Transit Full Size.

Picture below from left to right, Transit Courier, Transit Connect, Transit Custom, and then Transit Full Size.

ford_commercial.jpg

Here is another picture of Transit Full Size next to Transit Custom.

2016-Ford-Transit-and-Custom-720x340.jpg

Edited by twintornados

It is a FWD midsized van called Transit Custom. Slots in above Transit Connect and below Transit Full Size.

Picture below from left to right, Transit Connect, Transit Connect classic, Transit Custom, and then Transit Full Size.

ford_commercial.jpg

The first one is Transit Courier, not Transit Connect. Ford sells 4 different vans with Transit names.

• Like 1

The first one is Transit Courier, not Transit Connect. Ford sells 4 different vans with Transit names.

You are correct....brain was fried yesterday (new Union steward training for the past three days)...I looked at Transit Courier and thought it was the newly re-styled Transit Connect coming here...I fixed my posting

Edited by twintornados

Wondering why Motiv Power Systems was not highlighted at the truck show on the Ford stand demonstrating their all electric conversion of E-450 chassis cab, E-450 Stripped Chassis and F53/F59 stripped chassis?

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/64657-all-electric-ford-stripped-chassismotiv-power-systems/&do=findComment&comment=1025026