New Light & Medium Duty News

I think this might be further indication that we will see a new purpose built cab for use on 450-750 including the E cut aways. You read a lot about changing logistic patterns thanks to the continual expansion of on liner sales.

This suggests to me that class 4 thru 6 will grow because of this as well as the need to avoid a CDL.

I know Hackett is committed to cutting engineering costs-but does he want to keep Ford out of a growth market?

• Like 2

Yeah it's the same type type of C channel frame as the trucks used up to 04. The transit just has some heavy sheet metal "rails" integrally welded to the underside of the body if I'm not mistaken....

As good a description as any-as what you would expect on a unibody vehicle-as opposed to old school c channel frame rails and crossmembers.

I was surprised to see a full page print ad on the back page of USA Today last week for Ford Commercial, from a Transit to an F-series medium. Impresssive.

well Joe I would say that is a huge statement-or someone in commercial truck has signed his death warrant! To spend that kind of money on advertising in a period of cost containment speaks volumes IMO about Ford's commitment to this segment.

On a similar note, they paid for a calendar that accompanied last months copy of "Work Truck". They even had two 750 tractors on the cover.

Also the Commercial truck website finally has some decent coverage for 650-750. Hopefully the Ford presence at the Work Truck Show in early March will be a positive statement as to Ford's commitment to commercial trucks.

You can bet GM's exhibit will be significant with their new class 4 and 5 trucks

• Like 1

Yes?? What about them??

Let me tell you. The NPR has a straight rail frame 34" wide with about 100 holes in the web, nothing protruding above the rails. Electric junction and aux. fuse/breaker box behind the cab on the left. No easier truck to upfit., just allow a bit of room behind the cab to allow it to tilt. No better truck in heavy traffic, best turning radius and shortest wheelbase (14' body on a 132" wheelbase and you can just about make a U-turn in a phone booth). 2 diesels, 3.0L and a 5.2L, along with a 6.0L gas V-8. Easy on fuel. Crew cab available and they are still shorter and have a better turning radius than a comparable conventional. Dealers everywhere but you won't need one after you buy it, they are dead-nuts reliable. Excellent resale too.

That's not to say an E-550 would be a bad truck. If the E-550 is anything like the last one it is sort of an apples-to-oranges comparison. An E-550 would be a good chassis for a ambulance, motorhome, shuttle bus, ect., all applications that an NPR wouldn't be good for.

Ford had a chance to go after the NPR with the (Navistar co-developed) LCF, but completely blew that one out of their rear end. Might have made it with a halfway decent engine. Maybe.......

• Like 1

Back on the subject of the upcoming Work Truck Show, in looking at the show's website, Ford has the biggest floor space-slightly more than Ram but considerably more than the other big players.

As for staffing, Ford has 182 people registered, while Chevrolet has 140, International 111, Ram 90, Isuzu 83, Freightliner 75 and Paccar 47.

We know GM will be introducing their new class 4, 5 Silverados, let's hope Ford's space and staffing numbers are an indication of some new significant product.

• Like 4

Check out reply #35 in this topic thread:

http://hankstruckforum.com/htforum/index.php?topic=67707.30

Does anyone have a transcript of that particular Autoline Detroit?

thx for that thread but I think with Hackett at the helm, he has no passion for anything other than cutting costs. Remember, he isn't even a car guy, never mind a truck guy. I think best we can hope for is some bucks to make 650 and 750 more attractive to more buyers. I won't play my same "broken record"!

As for my post on the Work Truck show, I neglected to mention Hino -they have 138 listed on their attendee list of "exhibitors". You can bet with their new class 8 and tandem and big six engine they will have a lot to "show and tell.

Also out this AM and saw a brand new 650 -Penske Leasing. Gas job of course-looks like it was the first day in service for this thing as the rubber was even bright. Be interesting to see if Roger puts some diesel Fords in service as I do believe he has some sort of connection/interest in the Hino distribution operation.

Was just at the Work Truck Show and found the link with info about Ford press. I already previously said they were going to discuss chassis, upfitting info, etc. as well as future plans. It's on March 7th at 9:45am-11am.

http://www.worktruckshow.com/WTS/educational_sessions/Ford_Commercial_Vehicles_Update_Session.aspx

Here's something interesting though. While Googling up info about what could be shown there, I came up a Twitter link that the Work Truck Show has regarding an upcoming project that will be unveiled. Apparently there will be F-250 Hybrid built by XL Hybrids which claims first ever hybrid-electric truck. Seems interesting. Here's the screen shot of the Tweet that was announced earlier today. I know this isn't something Ford did themselves but interesting to see what others are doing to Fords. I still wonder what Ford will be announcing regarding 'future plans'.

post-16444-0-30698500-1519860572_thumb.jpg

Edited by pffan1990

You are probably right, but nonetheless I would really like to see who at Ford made this comment and find out exactly what was said.

Yes, I too would like to know who said that Ford is wanting to get back in Class 8 market. I didn't know they still owned the tooling to the old truck. Be nice to see the likes of Aeromax return.