New Light & Medium Duty News

My understanding is that CNH is owned by the Agnelli family, separate from FCA. Sergio is/was Chairman of CNH.

I'm not sure exactly how it's structured in relation to Fiat, but Sergio is the Chairman of the Board of CNH Industrial, which is the parent of Iveco.

Correct guys- just did a little research.

At the top we have the Agnelli family

- they own an Italian investment company- EXOR

- Exor controls CNH (formed by the merger of Case and New Holland-(we remember those blue tractors right?)

-CNH controls IVECO, Including Fiat Power Technologies

I posed the question to a guy who is very knowledgeable on the world truck scene as to any "leverage" Sergio might have with respect to getting any assistance from IVECO should FCA decide they want to get back into the higher truck classes. His answer.."He doesn't need any leverage".

• Like 1

I heard a little more about 7X: Rumor is that it will be a 7.3L V-8. Some say it will be pushrod, others SOHC. I am betting on the latter because I think this engine will be based on the 6.2L. Direct injection was mentioned, and turbochargers were NOT mentioned. Look for it in late 2019 as a 2020 MY.

The big question I have is will 7X be available in F-250/350 pickups? So far all I hear is that it will replace the 6.8L V-10 in those applications that still use it.

Wow I thought the 7X was due out late this year. Instead it looks like late 2019.

I do have a feeling this thing will be spectacular though. I started to jump on the pushrod bandwagon but I think Ford is going to stick with everything they've learned with the OHC Modular engines.

Guys there is a chance this could be a very large bore space V8 giving it plenty of room for future growth.

If Ford bites the bullet now they won't have to wish they did in the future.

Wow I thought the 7X was due out late this year. Instead it looks like late 2019.

I do have a feeling this thing will be spectacular though. I started to jump on the pushrod bandwagon but I think Ford is going to stick with everything they've learned with the OHC Modular engines.

Guys there is a chance this could be a very large bore space V8 giving it plenty of room for future growth.

If Ford bites the bullet now they won't have to wish they did in the future.

Same bore center as hurricane.

Wonder if we will see the 650 and 750 get the aluminum cab in 2020 when the 7X is introduced.

If not sooner? With 450-550 chassis-cab production at OAP, they have aluminum and steel cabs in the same plant. Recognizing that that they are still producing steel panels for the repair market I would have to think there would be some economies if OAP was working with one cab structure.

Then again, any chance there could be a new cab structure for 450-750 with some sharing of components with a new E series cut away? Again, today OAP is building 3 cab structures.

Might be nice to have some commonality.

In addition, with the new GM class 4 and 5's about to hit the street, assuming they have tilt hood assemblies that should translate into much better serviceability, does that put more pressure on Ford to upgrade their alligator hood design?

I don't think Ford will spend the money for a dedicated F-650/750/E Series cab. I see the aluminum F series cab migrating to the 650/750 because of what is likely a very modest cost (with the benefit that the new cab has more interior room). I think the E will merge into the Transit at some point. Hasn't Ford already trademarked 'T-450' and 'T-550'?

If not sooner? With 450-550 chassis-cab production at OAP, they have aluminum and steel cabs in the same plant. Recognizing that that they are still producing steel panels for the repair market I would have to think there would be some economies if OAP was working with one cab structure.

Then again, any chance there could be a new cab structure for 450-750 with some sharing of components with a new E series cut away? Again, today OAP is building 3 cab structures.

In addition, with the new GM class 4 and 5's about to hit the street, assuming they have tilt hood assemblies that should translate into much better serviceability, does that put more pressure on Ford to upgrade their alligator hood design?

I do agree about the commonality regarding the cabs for 450-550 and 650-750 and I think that is likely to happen to keep production costs low and provide consistency across the 'F-Series' range. Not sure about the E-Series though. I remember hearing about the trademarked T-450 and T-550 but that could be the unibody-based Transit Cutaway and Chassis Cab though on a much heavier-duty capability. I am on Facebook and in the 'Ford Econoline and Club Wagon' fan group. A group where Facebook users show pics of their Econoline vans in both stock and custom form including campers. One guy took a pic of the Econoline E-550 which was a short production-run that he saw online advertised for sale. I can't remember what it was used for but the back upfitted portion of the vehicle had been removed. He was going to take a look at it and decide whether or not to buy it for what he would use as a custom flatbed. Well others started talking in the thread and one guy said he works at the OAP and said Ford actually plans a full redesign of the E-Series for 2020 in terms of both Cutaway and Stripped Chassis with a thorough update of the frame. He said that it is even possible they may bring back the Econoline cargo van for fleets/businesses but he did not know for sure. Something to think about.

There is the Work Truck Show next month in Indianapolis as mentioned here in this thread. The site mentions Ford's planned press conference in which a new vehicle is planned for reveal. Of course that could be the Transit Custom midsize van but I'm wondering if that's where they're planning on announcing their plans of the next E-Series/Stripped Chassis vehicle? I would imagine the C Class and A Class motorhome industry would be thrilled to see Ford not only resume production but to fully redesign it finally for the 21st century. I'm not sure if anyone here in this forum who works at OAP can confirm nor deny what I said here but would be interested to hear what you guys know as far as what's confirmed or what's rumored at the plant. As long as it won't get you in trouble with the boss. :)

I don't think Ford will spend the money for a dedicated F-650/750/E Series cab. I see the aluminum F series cab migrating to the 650/750 because of what is likely a very modest cost (with the benefit that the new cab has more interior room). I think the E will merge into the Transit at some point. Hasn't Ford already trademarked 'T-450' and 'T-550'?

I agree about aluminum F-Series cab being used for the Medium Duty. See above for what I said regarding the T-450 and T-550 plus more.

With the F-450 & 550's going to be built at OAP, I can definitely see the 650 & 750 moving to the aluminum cab. As was mentioned earlier, I would like to also see the commonality of the tilt hood across the 450-750 line to make service that much easier. I have a 2016 F-250 PowerStroke and man they shoehorned that 6.7 under that hood!

Forgive my ignorance, but doesn't the F650/750 already tilt forward?

Whoops, you were talking about the 450/550.

I do agree about the commonality regarding the cabs for 450-550 and 650-750 and I think that is likely to happen to keep production costs low and provide consistency across the 'F-Series' range. Not sure about the E-Series though. I remember hearing about the trademarked T-450 and T-550 but that could be the unibody-based Transit Cutaway and Chassis Cab though on a much heavier-duty capability. I am on Facebook and in the 'Ford Econoline and Club Wagon' fan group. A group where Facebook users show pics of their Econoline vans in both stock and custom form including campers. One guy took a pic of the Econoline E-550 which was a short production-run that he saw online advertised for sale. I can't remember what it was used for but the back upfitted portion of the vehicle had been removed. He was going to take a look at it and decide whether or not to buy it for what he would use as a custom flatbed. Well others started talking in the thread and one guy said he works at the OAP and said Ford actually plans a full redesign of the E-Series for 2020 in terms of both Cutaway and Stripped Chassis with a thorough update of the frame. He said that it is even possible they may bring back the Econoline cargo van for fleets/businesses but he did not know for sure. Something to think about.

There is the Work Truck Show next month in Indianapolis as mentioned here in this thread. The site mentions Ford's planned press conference in which a new vehicle is planned for reveal. Of course that could be the Transit Custom midsize van but I'm wondering if that's where they're planning on announcing their plans of the next E-Series/Stripped Chassis vehicle? I would imagine the C Class and A Class motorhome industry would be thrilled to see Ford not only resume production but to fully redesign it finally for the 21st century. I'm not sure if anyone here in this forum who works at OAP can confirm nor deny what I said here but would be interested to hear what you guys know as far as what's confirmed or what's rumored at the plant. As long as it won't get you in trouble with the boss. :)

I agree about aluminum F-Series cab being used for the Medium Duty. See above for what I said regarding the T-450 and T-550 plus more.

Here's a link to an article talking about the E550: http://fordauthority.com/2017/09/trademark-filing-suggests-ford-e-550-econoline-is-coming/

• Like 1

Remember that Transit is only a stamped steel ladder frame so it only gets Ford so far, they still need

those bigger E series cutaways, I can't wait to see what Ford does with the new E550, hopefully next year,

we'll see the new big 7.3 V8 in there in place of the V10.

Edited by jpd80

Thanks for the link of the E550 trademark filing. So it must be true then. Wow!!

Ford has plenty of trademarks that they don't currently use. When the Continental name was still in mothballs, they kept its trademarks alive in case they wanted to use it in the future--Ford has an unfortunate history with losing trademarks.