Lincoln MKC launching in July?

how are they going to find the capacity at LAP to make is my question.

They made 8200 escapes last week, on overtime and a 3 shifts.

seeing as the Escape is selling closer to 5000 per week

sounds to me like they're building a 'cushion',

and imho could mean the MKC's July "launch" is a go

:)

We should know more next week when NY Auto Show starts. If Ford debuts the production MKC, then I would say productions starts this year. If they wait until L.A. Auto Show this Fall, then production in 2014. V6 option could be late availability and I still wish that Lincoln would do hybrid version also.

I'm growing less optimistic about seeing it at New York. There seem to be few surprises in the industry these days, as big reveals are typically known in advance. I haven't seen anything new written about the MKC or the production version since the concept was introduced in January. If we were going to see the production version next week, there certainly would have been some camouflaged prototypes on the road by now like there was with the MKZ last year.

At the same time, I wouldn't expect to wait until the L.A. Auto Show. The 2011 Explorer was introduced at it's own event in July 2010, allowing it to go into production for early 2011 delivery. The MKC should follow a similar schedule if everything stays on track. There's obviously some timetable involving a July unveiling or else they wouldn't have put it in the initial press release.

I remain hopeful for a hybrid model, particularly because of one dimension that stood out to me. The MKC is over 3" shorter than the Escape. It's even shorter than the C-Max. This in theory would increase aerodynamics and decrease weight, making it more capable to optimize mileage from a hybrid drivetrain that the Escape may not be able to.

Edited by timf

seeing as the Escape is selling closer to 5000 per week

sounds to me like they're building a 'cushion',

Not a cushion as much as building back up dealer stock that has been depleted with the change over to the new model. I'm finally seeing alot of them in the lots like the older model.

I'm growing less optimistic about seeing it at New York. There seem to be few surprises in the industry these days, as big reveals are typically known in advance. I haven't seen anything new written about the MKC or the production version since the concept was introduced in January. If we were going to see the production version next week, there certainly would have been some camouflaged prototypes on the road by now like there was with the MKZ last year.

At the same time, I wouldn't expect to wait until the L.A. Auto Show. The 2011 Explorer was introduced at it's own event in July 2010, allowing it to go into production for early 2011 delivery. The MKC should follow a similar schedule if everything stays on track. There's obviously some timetable involving a July unveiling or else they wouldn't have put it in the initial press release.

I remain hopeful for a hybrid model, particularly because of one dimension that stood out to me. The MKC is over 3" shorter than the Escape. It's even shorter than the C-Max. This in theory would increase aerodynamics and decrease weight, making it more capable to optimize mileage from a hybrid drivetrain that the Escape may not be able to.

I tend to agree in that even though Ford is very mum about MKC as expected, suppliers usually talk and word gets out. So far nothing. But I hope the MKC is out later this year as dealers need new product and a popular segment to compete in even if certain engine options aren't ready yet.

Not a cushion as much as building back up dealer stock that has been depleted with the change over to the new model. I'm finally seeing alot of them in the lots like the older model.

Exactly, look what sales Fusion gets with a 48,000 inventory, no waiting for walk in buyers ready to sign right now for quick delivery,

those are the sales Ford is after with increased inventory this summer. I would expect that LAP starts building the MKC from about

September for an October-November release, that would allow Escape an unrestricted opportunity to go full tilt at American buyers,

it's highly likely that Escape sales coul jump to about 8K/wk from here until about that time. (24,110 sales in February says I'm right.. :))

Edited by jpd80

We should know more next week when NY Auto Show starts.

Unfortunately, I just checked the NY press site and the schedule is posted, and neither Ford nor Lincoln have any press conferences scheduled at the show, as hard as it is to believe. I thought the quiet showing at Chicago meant they were holding back until NY but I guess not. However Farley is opening the show as the guest speaker at the breakfast, so he might discuss some new product, but no debuts.

Dang! We still haven't seen much of the MKC on the roads testing, so the early 2014 sale-date seems consistent. And no need to debut something if it's so far away from production, a bad habit Ford/Lincoln still share.

Unfortunately, I just checked the NY press site and the schedule is posted, and neither Ford nor Lincoln have any press conferences scheduled at the show, as hard as it is to believe. I thought the quiet showing at Chicago meant they were holding back until NY but I guess not. However Farley is opening the show as the guest speaker at the breakfast, so he might discuss some new product, but no debuts.
Edited by BORG