Ford Fusion Marks Best February Sales Ever; San Francisco and Los Angeles Sales More Than Double

Ford Fusion Marks Best February Sales Ever; San Francisco and Los Angeles Sales More Than Double

• Ford Fusion is achieving the fastest turn rates and the strongest sales momentum in California – the nation’s largest passenger car market
  • Fusion Hybrid retail sales up 556 percent in Los Angeles, Fusion’s largest hybrid market in the U.S.
  • Total Fusion sales nationwide up 28 percent last month compared to February 2012
  • Fusion sales increase in all regions of the country – L.A., up 115 percent; San Francisco, 102 percent; Atlanta, 51 percent; Houston, 73 percent; Miami; 114 percent and Orlando, 72 percent
DEARBORN, Mich., March 6, 2013 – With car inventories just beginning to meet consumer demand, the all-new 2013 Ford Fusion posted its best February sales month since the midsize sedan was introduced in 2006.
Ford Fusion posted record February sales totaling 27,875 vehicles, a 28 percent gain over last February’s record.
The all-time Fusion sales record was March 2012, when Ford sold 28,562 cars.
Not only is Fusion selling well nationwide, its volumes are growing very quickly in California and Florida markets, long strongholds for import manufacturers.
The Los Angeles and San Francisco markets in particular saw the strongest sales growth in the nation, with year-over-year increases of more than 100 percent.
While Texas has long been one of the leading sales markets for light-duty trucks, the Lone Star State – Houston in particular – is also one of the strongest midsize sedan markets in the country. Fusion sales there were up 73 percent last month compared to February 2012.
Even Southeast Florida, which represents one of the greatest markets for Ford growth in the United States, is sharing the nation’s love for Fusion. The Miami market saw its Fusion sales up 114 percent compared to last year, while Orlando is up 72 percent.
Fusion Hybrid sales skyrocket
While Fusion equipped with Ford fuel-efficient Eco Boost® engines continue to sell at a record pace, Fusion Hybrid sales are growing even faster.
Los Angeles is seeing skyrocketing demand for Fusion Hybrid, with sales up more than 600 percent year-over-year. Part of the reason is fuel economy; while Toyota Camry Hybrid achieves just 41 mpg in combined city and highway fuel economy estimates on EPA tests, Fusion returns a 47 mpg in city/highway and combined EPA estimated ratings.
With the recent addition of the Fusion Energi plug-in hybrid vehicle, Ford is offering the widest range of fuel efficiency technologies in the quickly growing midsize sedan segment, which is the largest market in the U.S. behind small cars.
The story behind the new Fusion

For more on the new Ford Fusion, check out http://FordFusionStory.com, a special mobile site featuring articles, videos and graphics that are easily shareable directly from a smartphone, tablet or computer browser to Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and blogs.

# # #
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 171,000 employees and 65 plants worldwide, the company’s automotive brands include Ford and Lincoln. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford and its products worldwide, please visit http://corporate.ford.com.
  • Like 1

I see a lot of Fusion on the road here in LA. Almost all hybrids and Titanium models. I haven't seen that many SE model.

Most of the Fusions I see around here are the SE's, and I see lots of them now. Actually, there are two SE's parked next to me right now.

Ford has been working hard to win sales in California, We've heard back in January how hybrid sales have really takenoff

thanks to Californians buying Fusion hybrid and C-Max so seeing higher sales of Fusion and Focus is a natural progression.

Having good dealer stock levels and adequate inventory supplies is integral in capturing every possible sale,

and it looks like Ford's Californian dealers have been converting lots of walk ins to sales...Well done.

I get a kick out of the article... "EB sells at record pace" well, ummm 2 out of 3 nonhybrid engines are EB. What in the hell else are you going to sell? If you force everybody to buy EB by offering nonthing else, of course you're going to sell more :doh:

Anyway, yes. I do see a good ammount of Fusions on the roads out here. I think the EPA hype of 47mpg got buyers hooked. I just hope not too many will bitch and moan when our Cali gas ( the one that gets the worse MPG compared to any other state) along with impossible 47 mpg combined in real world driving shows up on the odometer.

I would hope that Ford doesn't get caught up in the Number one title like it did with the Tarurus. Nip at the heels of Camry and Accord, but don't push it too much to be number one. Let Toyota go crazy with incentives trying to hang onto number one title. They need that title more since Tundra doesn't sell anything like F-150. I'm sure once FRAP Fusions hit market, Ford will be increasing incentives on Fusion, but hopefully they will stay disciplined and fight temptation to do anything for Number One mid sized title. I would also like to see another Fusion model like a coupe, or a wagon, or an ST, and/or a small V6 like the rumored 2.7L. Not everyone is in love with four bangers EB or not.

I would hope that Ford doesn't get caught up in the Number one title like it did with the Tarurus. Nip at the heels of Camry and Accord, but don't push it too much to be number one. Let Toyota go crazy with incentives trying to hang onto number one title. They need that title more since Tundra doesn't sell anything like F-150. I'm sure once FRAP Fusions hit market, Ford will be increasing incentives on Fusion, but hopefully they will stay disciplined and fight temptation to do anything for Number One mid sized title. I would also like to see another Fusion model like a coupe, or a wagon, or an ST, and/or a small V6 like the rumored 2.7L. Not everyone is in love with four bangers EB or not.

Even with FRAP online, I don't think they'll have the capacity to regularly sell in the 30k/month range, so I wouldn't be too worried about dumping cash on the hood. They've been very measured thus far, even with Focus and Escape's success, so there really isn't reason to think they'll change course.

I don't know if you consider it an incentive per say, but have you checked out the lease payments on the Titanium model? Dirt cheap. Like $282/mo for a $35k car w/10% down. Less than my $22k Focus which I guess had crappy residuals when they first came out. I would probably lease a Fusion right now if I wasn't so screwed on the Focus. The Focus im general is not holding its value very well, comparedto say a Civic.

I don't know if you consider it an incentive per say, but have you checked out the lease payments on the Titanium model? Dirt cheap. Like $282/mo for a $35k car w/10% down. Less than my $22k Focus which I guess had crappy residuals when they first came out. I would probably lease a Fusion right now if I wasn't so screwed on the Focus. The Focus im general is not holding its value very well, comparedto say a Civic.

I doubt a 2012 Civic (which my father in law just leased at a crazy low rate) will hold its value very well, considering the fire sale and emergency MCE of the 2013 model.

I doubt a 2012 Civic (which my father in law just leased at a crazy low rate) will hold its value very well, considering the fire sale and emergency MCE of the 2013 model.

It will be interesting to see how well the 2012 Civic maintains its value in the coming years. While the rushed makeover of the 2013 certainly makes it look less attractive, the 2012 model has been very reliable (it should be, with no major mechanical changes from the previous generation), so people won't necessarily be dumping them because of mechanical problems.

Even with FRAP online, I don't think they'll have the capacity to regularly sell in the 30k/month range, so I wouldn't be too worried about dumping cash on the hood. They've been very measured thus far, even with Focus and Escape's success, so there really isn't reason to think they'll change course.

The important part is inventory level for dealers to access, Fusion is up around 48,000 at the start of February and that gave dealers plenty of stock to sell.

I disagree about FRAP's role, I think it will push inventory up to a point where Ford can really press home quick delivery times and increase sales even more.

Another 8,000 or 10,000 sales out of FRAP would make that a reality...

Edited by jpd80

It will be interesting to see how well the 2012 Civic maintains its value in the coming years. While the rushed makeover of the 2013 certainly makes it look less attractive, the 2012 model has been very reliable (it should be, with no major mechanical changes from the previous generation), so people won't necessarily be dumping them because of mechanical problems.

I don't think the Civic or even Honda for that matter will ever see their values drop. It is stuck in everybodys head that Honda and Toyota are bullet proof (some folks know better). Go into any conversation, anywhere about used car reliability and those are the first 2 makes you will hear. It will take something gnarly to ever knock them off the top. Coming out at or near the top of JDP and CR surveys only solidify that thinking even further. Hell, people are asking $4,500 for a 2002 civic with 196,000 miles on them and getting it. It reminds me of atv's. You never really see one below $1,500 no matter how old and beat up. I rarely see a used Honda car from the past 15 years go below 4k.

Edited by Hydro

It reminds me of atv's. You never really see one below $1,500 no matter how old and beat up. I rarely see a used Honda from the past 15 years go below 4k.

That's one reason I buy Honda ATV's (along with the fact that they do have great quality, and you get a lot for your money). I bought a new Rancher 2WD in '04 for $3700. I sold it in November '12 for $2800. It only cost me about $10/month to own it. Not too shabby! :)

• Like 1

27,000 Fusions/month is not sustainable until FRAP is up to full launch speed. Hermosillo makes about 6500 Fusions/week, and some of those go South and some to Canada. I would say rest of year Fusion/month average will be around 23,000 with an ocassional spurt if dealers have adequate inventory. Focus can do a spurt every now and then also, but production is not high enough from one plant to keep it going every month. Focus around here is still in short supply. Ford dealer by me is full of Escapes, Edges, and Fusions, but Focus supply is down. I don't see how one plant can produce and sell 30,000 of anything/month especially when some of it goes to South America and Canada.

27,000 Fusions/month is not sustainable until FRAP is up to full launch speed. Hermosillo makes about 6500 Fusions/week, and some of those go South and some to Canada. I would say rest of year Fusion/month average will be around 23,000 with an ocassional spurt if dealers have adequate inventory. Focus can do a spurt every now and then also, but production is not high enough from one plant to keep it going every month. Focus around here is still in short supply. Ford dealer by me is full of Escapes, Edges, and Fusions, but Focus supply is down. I don't see how one plant can produce and sell 30,000 of anything/month especially when some of it goes to South America and Canada.

The important part is for Ford to have enough inventory buffer to get through the main selling months

and you are right, FRAP is essential to increasing Fusion inventory and sales.

Fusion inventory as of 3-1-13 was 46,500 or 40 days, barely adequate going into the bigger months,

I have a feeling that Fusion will still be limited this summer but should be better than 2012