Daytime running lights (DRL)

prpfeif

Called Ford, they said only available fleet sales (as an option) and Canada(mandatory)brilliant! spend money for being able to change the ambient lighting, and not for a safety device in the U.S. The executive who made that decision should be fired for incompetence!

As much as they should be, they aren't required by law in the U.S.. Talk to your service department, usually it's a reprograming of the PCM to activate the DRL's. Some dealerships will do it for free, some charge. Personally, I don't believe they're necessary, the LED strip puts out a bright light and are very visible from a distance. Also, HID's have a limited life span, generally 2000 to 3000 hours. The more they are on during the day, the shorter the life for night time use. They're expensive to replace, around $245 each.

According to the manual if you have HID headlights the Daytime running lights are the fog lights.

What LED strip are you referring to? And how do you turn it on? The only LED that I see is on, is when the parking or headlights are on lights are on. By the way parking lights aren't part of the battery/light management system. Leave them on by accident and you have a dead battery. another brilliant bit of engineering by FORD.

According to the manual if you have HID headlights the Daytime running lights are the fog lights.

What LED strip are you referring to? And how do you turn it on? The only LED that I see is on, is when the parking or headlights are on lights are on. By the way parking lights aren't part of the battery/light management system. Leave them on by accident and you have a dead battery. another brilliant bit of engineering by FORD.

I guess I missed that small section in the manual.

There is a LED strip just below the headlights. They are always on when the car is running and dim slightly when the headlights are on. If yours aren't lit, take it in, if you don't have an LED strip, it's not a Titanium.

If your hell bent on having DRL's, turn on the parking lights and fog lights, the warning buzzer will remind you to turn them off when you leave the vehicle.

Can I just just say I love the DRL (Led lights on this car). I know a lot of car makers are starting to go this route and I really think they add some style to the front of the Escapes.

I agree howie, its the only way to go. Looks like you and me are about to get dumped on with some snow. SWEET! Bring it on.

Called Ford, they said only available fleet sales (as an option) and Canada(mandatory)brilliant! spend money for being able to change the ambient lighting, and not for a safety device in the U.S. The executive who made that decision should be fired for incompetence!

This was definitely a false statement. Mine are on and working just fine (not a fleet vehicle) whomever told you this was incorrect.

Thanks transitman

Time for me to eat some crow. Looked for the LED strip just below the headlights and saw that it was lit when the car was running. Couldn't find any reference to it in the owners manual. Asked wife why she didn't see it when she was standing on the sidewalk and I was driving towards her. She said she thought that it was a reflection from the sun, (got to love it.)Apparently the LEDs aren't bright enough for the Canadian regulations and they use the fog lights as DRLs.Now if Ford will update "MyFord Touch" in my Escape with Applink, I'll be a happy camper.

I wouldn't mind my fogs being on too but those LED's are very bright. Remember getting pulled over in Canada because I didn't have my daytime lights on and was so confused. US car but model year that had to have them in Canada. Loved it there though good luck

That was true for any Ford vehicle that had a model being sold as a Special Service vehicle in the past.

Basically the crown vic, explorer, expedition and F/E series vehicles. At least that's all they have here in NYC. When the cops turn their lights off there are no DRL's

Except for Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, and Mazda, basically every other Car Manufacturer that sells vehicles in the USA has DRL`s as standard equipment! What`s the big issue why Ford refuses to enable the DRL`s on US vehicles (unless) its a Fleet Purchase "FIN" or its being shipped to Canada? Simply offer an easy way to disable the DRL`s if you don`t want them on here in the U.S.?

When the cops turn their lights off there are no 
DRL's        

They aren't standard. The must be specified when ordering. The interior light was disabled as it wasn't installed. A replacement was included that was turned on manually. It's a $50 option in the fleet purchase for the new Interceptor.

Edited by rscalzo