Did Ford show the next generation Edge in January Conference Powerpoint Slides?

Anyone notice no rwd car plan mentioned in the slides even though the new Mustang (and hopefully platform mates) are coming. Any inside word on it?.

It's quite possible the Mustang is it, which is what I believe anyway. I'm absolutely convinced Ford and Lincoln have no immediate plans for the next-gen Mustang outside of the Mustang.

Edited by BORG

What is the other vehicle that is blacked out in the CD car platform? I figured the other two of MKX and Edge.

The slide was for C- and D-class cars, but I didn't see any D-class vehicles, just Fusions and Mondeos. I'd think that at least one of those blacked-out slots is for the Taurus...

The slide was for C- and D-class cars, but I didn't see any D-class vehicles, just Fusions and Mondeos. I'd think that at least one of those blacked-out slots is for the Taurus...

My xray vision shows that its a wagon looking thing...maybe its the Galaxie? Maybe they'll turn it into a minivan

I've been crossing my fingers for spy shots or formal introduction for the 2014 model year for a couple months now! hopefully there will be more pictures soon. I was hoping they'd unveil it at the Chicago Auto show, but no such luck! I like the new grille style in general. I hope you'll be able to order an unpainted grille just like you can for the 2013 because I am not a fan of the chrome on the 2013, and looks like 2014.

I'm also hoping they offer awd with the 2.0L like the Escape. But I heard rumors they're going all 4cyl for the 2014 model year Edge.

What's odd about it, to me, is that's a press image.

That's not a product engineering mockup like the leaked Fusion images were, that's a rendered vector image of a type that Ford routinely provides for press use including dealer advertising. It fits right in with the rest of those renderings.

I had no idea that Ford prepped those images this far in advance of launch.

And I can't remember what the deal was with the first Edge leak, but I think it was first seen elsewhere, and linked here.

• Like 2

I feel bad now, somebody is in trouble.

Probably not - and don't be sure that things like this aren't planned in today's internet age - to have someone "find" something and have it go viral. It's a grainy picture that is the size of a postage stamp that is the leading auto story on every auto publication on the web with no details about the product. Ford gets another round when they show it and revile details. Today shows why Auto Show unveilings for cars are a thing of the past, why spend a million dollars on a concept of the next Edge when you just created a huge amount of buzz with almost no cost. Ford owned the web today.

Just one question Borg? Were you in on it or at least pointed in the right direction to find it ;)

Edited by jasonj80
  • Like 2

I feel bad now, somebody is in trouble.

Well, at least there is so much left out like drivetrain, interior, rear view, and the like. I would imagine 2015MY Edge would be going into production 4th quarter 2013 or 1st quarter 2014 and showing up at dealers early to late spring 2014. About same timetable as Lincoln MKC and skip 2014 MY. So new Edge I imagine will be shown to public sometime this year or next NAIAS. I hope the 2015 Edge is about 300 pounds lighter, and comes standard with 2.7L V6 and optional EB engines. Would also hope for hybrid and plug in version.

I was looking at the powerpoint slides ford gave for the Deutsche Bank Global Auto Industry Conference in January, and noticed that the picture of the Edge show on Slide 9 looked totally different from the current one. It looks like an all new design. Did ford accidently leak the new Edge? Look for yourselves.

http://corporate.ford.com/doc/ir_20130115_Deutsche_Bank_Global_Auto_Industry_Conference.pdf

POTW

Also, dude, you deserve credit. The Detroit News says the images was first shown on FIN. It wasn't. You broke that story. I'm contacting the Detroit News for you.

• Like 6

What's odd about it, to me, is that's a press image.

That's not a product engineering mockup like the leaked Fusion images were, that's a rendered vector image of a type that Ford routinely provides for press use including dealer advertising. It fits right in with the rest of those renderings.

I had no idea that Ford prepped those images this far in advance of launch.

And I can't remember what the deal was with the first Edge leak, but I think it was first seen elsewhere, and linked here.

Agreed, I'm very surprised this exists already, unless the Edge is closer than we thought and is a 2014 MY car. Do we have firm dates on the next-gen Edge?

It's quite possible Europe/World will get the next Edge before we do?

Probably not - and don't be sure that things like this aren't planned in today's internet age - to have someone "find" something and have it go viral. It's a grainy picture that is the size of a postage stamp that is the leading auto story on every auto publication on the web with no details about the product. Ford gets another round when they show it and revile details. Today shows why Auto Show unveilings for cars are a thing of the past, why spend a million dollars on a concept of the next Edge when you just created a huge amount of buzz with almost no cost. Ford owned the web today.

Just one question Borg? Were you in on it or at least pointed in the right direction to find it ;)

I think you may be right, but this is clearly a mistake and I don't think Ford intended this to go out. Some lacky probably put together the presentation from stock images and this got out by mistake, including images of obsolete products.

And indeed I was an active agent in the spread of the news to the big blogs, although not the originator of the leak.

In either case, this is monumentally exciting for me since this or it's Lincoln twin is my next vehicle :)

Edited by BORG

Agreed, I'm very surprised this exists already, unless the Edge is closer than we thought and is a 2014 MY car. Do we have firm dates on the next-gen Edge?

No dates. Order dates nor Job 1 dates for '14 Edge have been determined. No close-out of 2013 orders set yet, either.

The only models without 2013 order closings listed are Edge/MKX and Expedition/Navigator. Hmmmm. :idea:

• Like 1

If you look at the Job 1 list Edge and MKX still are listed at TBD for the 2014 MY, only other models with TBD are F-150 and Expedition.

I'm thinking 4Q job 1 for the Edge -- just wonder if Ford is going to call it a 2014 or 2015 model.

I still think this was an intentional "buzz" leak.

• Like 1

When I leased my Edge last year I went for a 2 year lease because the rumors were the 2014 model would be all new. Later on, a published plan indicated it wouldn't debut until late 2014 as a 2015 model. I've been watching the 2013 close out/2014 Job 1 dates and have too been curious as to why they wouldn't be announced yet. The 2013 model will have been in production for one full year as of this Friday, so you'd think there would be some sign of the 2014s by now.

The one thing that really throws a wrench into the situation is Lincoln. Would they really unveil the MKC and MKX simultaneously? It seems like this would put strain on the design team in order to release two all-new models in the same year. The four all-new models in four years plan suggests one new model per year, which is about the most you can hope for in order to give each one the attention they deserve. I can't see the current MKX continuing production alongside an all-new Edge since the factory would need to be changed over to the CD4 platform.

When I leased my Edge last year I went for a 2 year lease because the rumors were the 2014 model would be all new. Later on, a published plan indicated it wouldn't debut until late 2014 as a 2015 model. I've been watching the 2013 close out/2014 Job 1 dates and have too been curious as to why they wouldn't be announced yet. The 2013 model will have been in production for one full year as of this Friday, so you'd think there would be some sign of the 2014s by now.

The one thing that really throws a wrench into the situation is Lincoln. Would they really unveil the MKC and MKX simultaneously? It seems like this would put strain on the design team in order to release two all-new models in the same year. The four all-new models in four years plan suggests one new model per year, which is about the most you can hope for in order to give each one the attention they deserve. I can't see the current MKX continuing production alongside an all-new Edge since the factory would need to be changed over to the CD4 platform.

The pattern established so far is that Lincoln version comes out about 12-18 months after Ford dealers get theirs. In the case of the Escape, MKC Escape will be out almost two years after Escape hits dealers. Now with that being said, the new Edge and MKX could be undergoing gestation at same time, but I would bet on new MKX not appearing until 12 months later.

The pattern established so far is that Lincoln version comes out about 12-18 months after Ford dealers get theirs. In the case of the Escape, MKC Escape will be out almost two years after Escape hits dealers. Now with that being said, the new Edge and MKX could be undergoing gestation at same time, but I would bet on new MKX not appearing until 12 months later.

Lincoln could probably survive without an MKX for a period thanks to the MKC, but I highly doubt it and assume Lincoln is developing their car alongside the Edge to debut almost simultaneously. Remember the MKX often ties with the MKZ for their bestselling vehicle. Lincoln couldn't do without an MKZ for a full year.

Edited by BORG

I wonder if at some point we will see new Lincolns debut before their platform-mate Ford vehicles?