***GUIDE*** HID Install 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid

nmadole

I thought that mine were wired just like your picture; one wiring harness going to the driver side headlight/fog lamp, and the other harness going to passenger side... when you say that when head lights are on/fog lights are on - i agree, thats the same with mine....i've got two ground leads connected from the wiring harness, two 12 volt leads connected to the wiring harness, and each harness connected to two ballasts which then lead to the lights themselves...

I thought that mine were wired just like your picture; one wiring harness going to the driver side headlight/fog lamp, and the other harness going to passenger side... when you say that when head lights are on/fog lights are on - i agree, thats the same with mine....i've got two ground leads connected from the wiring harness, two 12 volt leads connected to the wiring harness, and each harness connected to two ballasts which then lead to the lights themselves...

My driver side headlight is linked to my passanger side fog lamo

my passanger side headlight is linked to my driver side headlamp

I want to say that this is how i wired mine... i guess i have the driver's side linked and the passenger side linked incorrectly... It was behaving very strangely this morning; when i left the house all lights were on... but when i got to work, the one fog light was out... i played around with the headlight/fog light switches, moving them from off to on and back again, and its like one light always wants to stay off - either the driver fog or the driver headlight..

I'm gonna have to take the bumper off tonight and re-do the wiring... i'll probably just link the fogs together and then the headlights, hoping that it will fix my problems...

post-49624-0-12662000-1362670737_thumb.jpg

I just wanted to say I used this guide as well and I greatly appreciate the time put in to make it. Saved me a bunch of time having to figure stuff out during the install. :) I was going to do the fogs, but I'm holding off as I changed my mind on the bulbs. I had 6k's for headlights and 5k's for fogs, but the 6k were too blue for me. So I put the 5k's in the headlights and I'll probably get another set of 5k's for the fogs (or maybe the 4.3k). So if anyone wants a pair of 6k bulbs (spares?) let me know, you can have them for $20 shipped anywhere in the continental US.

I'm having a slight "flutter" in my driver side headlight. It's not flickering on and off, but rather gets a little dimmer, but not too bad. I think it may be the ground location. I bought Morimoto's from TRS. The relay it comes with has two separate grounds, one for each side. On the passenger side, I put the ground on a bolt between the washer fluid and coolant. It already had a ground connection there. For the driver side, I used the bolt on the strut tower. The strut tower has much more paint (you can tell it's thicker), so I am going to use a different point to see if that corrects the flutter. If not, it's probably the ballast, in which case I'll have TRS replace.

Just wanted to see if anyone else had any issues like this.

The kit I had (DDM) on my old Audi had one side that would always flicker when it came on, but it would never do it after that. Oddly enough that ended up not being the side that failed a few months ago.

So far my DDM kit on the Fusion is working perfectly. No flickering at all.

Thanks for the guide and everyone's comments in this thread. Got my DRL's and Reverse lights in on Sunday and my HID in last night. Went with the Morimoto set from TRS along with the "special" harness they had to make. No flickering or issues. It took 4 hours to get the HID's in but I'm very happy with the results. Compared the cutoff and output to my wifes Escape and they match really well.

I was going to change out the fogs after seeing some of the posts here but after driving last night through a very foggy area, I'm leaving the stock fogs in.

The lights I used in the reverse are too dim so waiting on the replacement set to arrive from Ebay. Im going to use the current set for the license plate. Will get pics up once I finish this last part.

Also I dont know how anyone is swapping out the DRL's or doing the HID install without removing the bumber. Would love to see a video of someone doing this. One note on installing ballast. Make sure you get a good solid connection on a piece of metal for the ground. If not your light may not turn on or may flicker.

Thanks again everyone.

-XD

Edited by xaviersdad

Thanks for the guide and everyone's comments in this thread. Got my DRL's and Reverse lights in on Sunday and my HID in last night. Went with the Morimoto set from TRS along with the "special" harness they had to make. No flickering or issues. It took 4 hours to get the HID's in but I'm very happy with the results. Compared the cutoff and output to my wifes Escape and they match really well.

I was going to change out the fogs after seeing some of the posts here but after driving last night through a very foggy area, I'm leaving the stock fogs in.

The lights I used in the reverse are too dim so waiting on the replacement set to arrive from Ebay. Im going to use the current set for the license plate. Will get pics up once I finish this last part.

Also I dont know how anyone is swapping out the DRL's or doing the HID install without removing the bumber. Would love to see a video of someone doing this. One note on installing ballast. Make sure you get a good solid connection on a piece of metal for the ground. If not your light may not turn on or may flicker.

Thanks again everyone.

-XD

What lights and from where, did you use in the reverse that are to dim? Just looking for what to avoid. Any other tips you can pass along to help others (me) who will be using TRS setup to do the same thing? Especially info on that "special" harness, and its cost.

Edited by rkan

What lights and from where, did you use in the reverse that are to dim? Just looking for what to avoid. Any other tips you can pass along to help others (me) who will be using TRS setup to do the same thing? Especially info on that "special" harness, and its cost.

I originally purchased these for the reverse and DRL http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-5-smd-led-wide-angle-wedge-base/206/ They work great in the front of the car but IMO are horrible as reverse lights. Someone behind you would def see them but they dont illuminate enough for me, even with the backup camera.

I ordered this set http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-T15-T10-Wedge-CREE-Q5-Emitter-5W-Led-Reverse-Back-up-Lights-921-912-906-02-/360586355768?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222001%26algo%3DSIC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D5413584350821277332%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D150984648883%26 based on others reviews, plus I have used Cree LEDs on some of my fish tank builds and they work great.

The harness from TRS was an extra $30. I honestly don’t even know what they added but when I called to order the guy on the phone told me I needed some special resistor added because or Fusions are picky about the current draw. I have read other peoples experiences where they ordered the TRS and then had to have them make a special harness for them so the lights would turn on properly. I just took the guys word and paid the extra cash. All I know is the lights cut on when they should whether the car is on or off and I haven’t gotten any error codes or flickering. And I didn’t get a canbus either. Total cost shipped was $185 with a FB code he gave me. I’m running the Three Fives in 35w and 5k. They come on quick and I didn’t get flashed driving in to work at 5 this morning or last night while on the road.

• 4 weeks later...

8000K is going to be really blue, bordering on purple. That fact coupled with the fact that they are 35w is going to mean you will have even less effective headlights than the stock halogen system. I think you should stay with 6500K or even 5000K, but to each his own. If you're looking for the bluer, then fine, but know you will lose some effectiveness.

Otherwise, as far as quality, they look to be the same ballasts as most decent kits out there. Ballasts is what one should be paying attention to as far as durability.

Scooter80, thanks for the input. I'm not really into the blue, but more the white and not too bright. I don't know much about HID, that's why I'm asking. I've seen some really bright ones that seem like they have their high beams on, and other that look really nice. So do you think these plug and play HID (5000k) @ 35w would be fine?

I was more honed in on your tentative choice of 8000K, and I'm glad I could turn you off of that. Brightness will be fine. Ive seen 35w HID's in the new Fusion and they're about perfect. Shouldn't blind anyone. As far as if this particular kit will work, I'd read the previous posts in this thread. I've heard of some who've had luck with plug and play, but others who didn't and felt that a new harness (included with some other kits) made the difference. YRMV seems to be the credo in HID since there are so many suppliers and kits out there.

Oh, also the title on that EBay listing is for H13. You need H11. I see they offer it in many different types, so maybe it's just a general auction for any type, but make sure you order H11 if you pull the trigger.

Edited by Scooter80

Scooter80, thanks for the input. I'm not really into the blue, but more the white and not too bright. I don't know much about HID, that's why I'm asking. I've seen some really bright ones that seem like they have their high beams on, and other that look really nice. So do you think these plug and play HID (5000k) @ 35w would be fine?

The original post (me) used 35watt 5000K HIDS and I think they look perfect

I just found out DDM Tuning retail store is about 20 minutes away from me, I'll be paying them a visit :)

The Low beams DO require the Harness. I see no reason to put HID's in the highbeams, and I did use a harness on the Fogs (but they are not required). DDM is who I bought my HID's and harness from.